Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

For a long time, I was under the impression that Steam was just another piece of software that I really didn't need on my PC. I had previously purchased Half Life 2 (which required installation of Steam to run), but after I had completed Half Life 2, I uninstalled it, and never touched it for years.

Then this year I saw an irresistible "50% discount" offer to purchase Assetto Corsa (the early access version) on Steam. So I installed Steam once again in order to play it. I noticed the smooth, trouble free updates every now and again. I noted the complete lack of interference with the rest of my installed software. Contrary to my previous opinion, Steam didn't seem all that intrusive after all. I then noted that Half Life 2 and its episodes were still on my list, and I suddenly realised that I really wanted to play it again. So I am now 80% of the way through the base game, and looking forward to playing right through to the end of Episode Two. After playing it again for the first time in ten years, I can state with confidence that it is still one of the very best FPS games that has ever been made. Thanks to Steam, I was reminded of that, and I am now really keen to hear any news regarding Half Life 3 B)

I have possibly drifted slightly off topic, but my point is that Steam is a very useful and unobtrusive piece of software that facilitates the purchase, play, and effortless update of hundreds of games. Flight Simulator X may not be the prettiest face on the block, but if a Steam Edition can encourage an influx of fresh blood to the civilian flight simulation world, then surely that is a good thing? After visiting my first ever flightsim show recently, my enthusiasm for flight simulation has increased tenfold. I would dearly love to see that enthusiasm spread even further, so any Steam Edition of Flight Simulator X (or X-Plane for that matter) is another step forward to achieving that. Whether it is criticised or not isn't the issue. Even if only a small percentage of Steam users purchase (and enjoy) FSX, it will increase the population of the flightsim community just a little bit, and possibly encourage a new generation of flightsim enthusiasts to visit the Cosford 2015 FlightSim show. I for one would welcome them.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Or are we looking at things "under the hood" when comparing the changes?

Jim, possibly as much as 90+% of the changes have been "under the hood." The other items on your list aren't really all that significant to their official target market.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Jim, you only have to look at the original v2 change / fix / feature list and the point release notes to see what has been added fixed and changed.

You can continue the ignorance if you so wish, but right from the start you and certain others have had an agenda against LM and the very idea of Prepar3d. I have no idea why.

1. We are not the target marketplace, so nothing against LM, just those that clam P3D is the next best thing since sliced bread and it is number 1A right next to XPX, when it really isn't.

2. I haven't partaken in the drinking of the kool-aid that newer is necessarily better and just because constant updates makes something better than something that is not updated.  

Jim, possibly as much as 90+% of the changes have been "under the hood." The other items on your list aren't really all that significant to their official target market.

Thanks Bill for confirming my thought that we are not the target marketplace!

Yet another post that is entirely devoid of any meaningful content. LOL

Wow, my comment has stirred up the hornets nest.  Personally I think P3D rocks (once I ignore that I have to lie to myself to own a license, but hey that's me); I just thought things could and should be better. I didn't know that P3D was such a touchy subject. At least the true colors have been shown; beyond this I can't say anything that won't further fan the flames so I'm out of here.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

LOL, why do you even bother? LOL.

I clearly bother a lot less than you do! :lol:

I am not the one reporting posts to the moderators!

And honestly either am I!!

I clearly bother a lot less than you do!

I am not sure that is entirely accurate (quoting from a famous movie)...

No one reported it to the moderators. I have had my eye on this discussion for more than couple of days.

Wow, my comment has stirred up the hornets nest.  Personally I think P3D rocks (once I ignore that I have to lie to myself to own a license, but hey that's me); I just thought things could and should be better. I didn't know that P3D was such a touchy subject. At least the true colors have been shown; beyond this I can't say anything that won't further fan the flames so I'm out of here.

It's the cost of the licensing that prevents me from even thinking of moving from FSX to P3D. I am not a student, nor am I in academia, and I refuse to pay $199 for a base product, especially since I now have all the addons that I can desire for FSX And with 3 wide-screen monitors, the closest I can feel to piloting an aircraft outside of the real thing.

Since a month I completely switched to P3D.

The good things : better looking overall lighting, no pop-up ag, more ag with less impact on fps, smooth from 15 fps and up. The framerate is better.

Continuesly worked on to make it better.

The thing I like best are the cloud shadows.

It looks like FSX but more polished.

Less good : € 199 ( but € 59 if you don't mind the watermark ).

It uses more VAS than FSX ( 200-300 mb more ).

Still 32 bit ..

Let everyone use the Fs he/she likes...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

The cloud shadows are my favorite thing in P3D too. I don't get better frame rates with P3D, but it does look better overall. I do kind of agree with JSkorna that there isn't much other than the graphics engine that sets it apart from FSX, but I suspect everyone knows that by now lol. The graphics are good enough for me at this point. I hope that if there is a v3 that it focuses on things like the flight model and realistic ATC. 

- Bill Magann

Play Nice now..

The cost of the license & lying to oneself?

Good grief guys,   It's only a game!! I cannot see why I must pay a fortune. The academic (cheapest) version is perfect for me, seeing bthat I'm learning something new every time I use it! & Darn... you should not have mentioned the watermark that I cannot notice anyway! lol

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Thanks Bill for confirming my thought that we are not the target marketplace!

Jim, I wrote "official target market" which is a very subtle distinction.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator