Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

It is astonishing to me that anyone in the know thinks that P3D V2 does not belong on, let alone at the top, of the list of flight sims that should be recommended to FS newbies. And that FSX on steam would be a better alternative. Its laughable!

Right out of the box P3D V2 is excellent. FSX in the other hand is a xxxxx! A newbie buying unaltered FSX on Steam will be crying crocodile tear shortly after starting it up and we all know what it takes to turn FSX in the great sim it has the potential to be.

On the other hand you get a far more immersive and compelling, great sim, completely stable out of the box with P3DV2. You guys who think its a great thing for FS enthusiasts that an unaltered FSX on Steam with DLC is a good thing are of course entitled to your opinion, regardless of what the motive is, but if anyone asks me, and quite a few do, Which Flight Sim should I buy I will be telling them it is a no brainer: P3D V2.x and I will be qualifying that advice with "and anyone who tell you different is nuts or has something to loss, believe who you like!"

Right out of the box P3D V2 is excellent.

Right out of the box P3D is FSX with some lipstick.

But there will be consequences for anyone competing with Steam

Why fight them when you can join them?

Right out of the box P3D is FSX with some lipstick.

Speaking of opinions, My opinion is that after a comment like that nobody should pay attention to single post you have made or ever will make! Your prolific authorship is clearly all about quantity and completely devoid of any quality. I really have to wonder who is paying you to promulgate such utter BS.

Compared to Steam, Flight1 is a tiny operation. Flight1 sells both their own products and products developed by other people. I stand by what I wrote. Why buy a product on Flight1 when you can buy it directly on Steam?

Small is such a relative term. Flight1's professional products are the largest part of their business, but sales to Joe Average Consumer aren't to be sneezed at.

You make it sound like a binary choice for the consumer. Steam will simply provide yet another outlet for sales, which cannot possibly be a "Bad Thing" since Steam will offer another demographic potential entirely.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Speaking of opinions, My opinion is that after a comment like that nobody should pay attention to single post you have made or ever will make! Your prolific authorship is clearly all about quantity and completely devoid of any quality. I really have to wonder who is paying you to promulgate such utter BS.

LOL,  I guess your opinion is everything and anyone else's that is opposing yours is just utter BS!

Just take a look at the base code for P3D and tell me what you see!!

Jim, I see a lot of new code in P3Dv2.4 that goes far beyond just "eye candy." There are fundamental flaws that have plagued the many iterations of Flight Simulator for decades that have been, and are being fixed finally.

Anyone who disputes those facts is being willfully blind and invincibly ignorant.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill,

As you go through all the menus in P3D how many new options are there compared to FSX?

AI Traffic improved?

ATC changed?

Scenery engine different?

Default weather engine re-worked?

Default flight modeling overhauled?

Or are we looking at things "under the hood" when comparing the changes?

If they can get the new Dovetail Flight sim to look like FSX with FTX scenery, add on airports and Airbus x and PMDG aircraft to run as i have spent heaps of $$$ on it im not going anywhere from FSX and wont be buying anything from dovetail

The system i have built running DX10 plays FSX so smooth with FTX Scenery and add on airports and PMDG 737 with no problem im not going away from some that has beautiful eye candy and plays smooth frame rates 

So show me what u got Dovetail it would want to be good

Has LM really done anything more with ESP (BTW a 7+ year old MSFS engine) than to add eyecandy?  Does not MS Flight actually have the most recent MSFS engine?  Given this situation would not one want the latest and greatest?  AFAIK, LM has even stated they will do nothing to improve the FS engine; their stance is that it is up to 3PDs to provide such enhancements, such as A2A's accusim (which FSX is able to exploit as well...nothing new here).  All DTG has to do is to turn Flight into the sim its dev team originally envisioned and P3D will be the one left behind.  If DTG were to pull this off and add volumetric fog and enhanced ground shadowing, P3D will be completely left in the dust.  But will this happen... :Waiting: :Praying:

You know the change logs for versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 are publicly available to read right? Of course you do, so why ask a question you already know the answer to and make statements presented as fact that aren't fact at all? 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

You make it sound like a binary choice for the consumer. Steam will simply provide yet another outlet for sales, which cannot possibly be a "Bad Thing" since Steam will offer another demographic potential entirely.

Again, I never said that Steam is a bad thing. But to deny that has impacted other online video game sellers is incorrect. Given that, there is the same possibility of Steam overwhelming the meager number of fractionated flight sim app and add on providers. Why do you think that Steam is any different in that regard from Amazon or Walmart? It's big and it eats the little guys for breakfast.

Phew!!  Play nice, please.

Guys, we got choices... to go the gaming route & support Steam. (because why?)

Or the independants.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

So Flight1 signed on with Steam in order to get hurt in the long run? You do know that the 2 have struck a deal already, right?

So if I port over all my FSX stuff into P3D what will I be looking at?

What actual program differences are there between the 2? What new features have been added? No DX11 and tessellation features are not new features.

Jim, you only have to look at the original v2 change / fix / feature list and the point release notes to see what has been added fixed and changed.

You can continue the ignorance if you so wish, but right from the start you and certain others have had an agenda against LM and the very idea of Prepar3d. I have no idea why.

scaled_zpsc1d06cb0.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

^_^

Needless to say that the best answer is, indeed, the best one.