Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

VAS-ing out, Please Help Me

HELP ME!

WARNING: I've placed a lot of graphics to try and give a fact-based background on my case.

I've lost the ability to even do EDDF to LPPT, let alone the EHAM to KIAH that I've failed at 5 times in a row, due to VAS-ing out.  Using both procexp and the FSUIPC method, I start off using around 2.8 Gig of VAS at places like EHAM and EDDF and get up to around 3.1 to 3.4 in flight.  I then encounter the destination payware airport and *poof*.

However, from last september until this June I would *sometimes* hear the FSUIPC early warning "ding ding" audible but not actually OOM/VAS-out.  I honestly think that it is EarthSims products and some Aerosoft which have played/altered my autogen files.  However, perhaps this UT2/ASN/Orbx FTX Global/Vector/LC/Rex combod + Awesome 777 + nVidia Inspector settings just push too far.

My Plea for help is this: Has anyone with settings more or less in my ballpark kept this OOM/VAS monster at bay?  I did so well from Sept 2013 until June 2014, and now... no so much.  In fact, I think there's a memory leak somewhere because I can't get more than about 4-6 hours of transatlantic done without OOMing out in the middle of the ocean.

I am fairly bummed out because the Lufthansa 777F is my exclusive ride for months now.

Oh yeah, I just have to use payware airports of high quality of the immersion isn't there.  I also use both GTX and AES.

So, perhaps I just want my cake and to eat it too, but something has changed.

My suspects:  Orbx stuff; the EarthSims stuff; my tendency to use the NVIDIA Inspector (with settings I pick up here and there, I don't know entirely what all the settings are); still using FSX.CFG tweaks for hopes to gain FPS.  I ran for years with just the built-in AA and Anistropic filtering.

MY GOAL: To complete Freight/Cargo long hauls in the 7-10 hour time frame like I've been doing for many months now, without the fear of OOM/VAS-ing out.

Main Symptoms: VAS starts high and just keeps on creeping up.  I get instability and death around 3.8 and above.  I can't seem to start lower than 2.5 at most of my payware airports (major cargo hubs that I'd prefer to fly out of).

Background

Prep:

Did I read (and follow) this? Please read pages 21 through 39 of this manual even if you don’t intend to read anything else in it – they contain very important mandatory FSX settings and recommendations for proper functioning of the product.  YES/MOSTLY/NO - Yes, I read it all, I've mostly listened, I've put in more FSX.CFG settings that what is recommended on those pages.

What about your Hardware/OS?

Rig:

Operating System
			Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
		CPU
			Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3.30GHz	38 °C (Runs at 3.9 underload with a "Turbo" setting in the BIOS)
			Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology
		RAM
			16.0GB DDR3 @ 933MHz (9-10-9-28)
		Motherboard
			ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 PRO (LGA2011)	31 °C
		Graphics
			27EA33 (1920x1080@60Hz)
			27EA33 (1920x1080@60Hz)
			3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (EVGA)	46 °C
		Storage
			238GB M4-CT256M4SSD2 ATA Device (SSD)
			(FSX DRIVE -->) 894GB Crucial_CT960M500SSD1 ATA Device (SSD)	27 °C
			558GB Western Digital WDC WD6000HLHX-01JJPV0 ATA Device (SATA)	21 °C
			1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device (SATA)	24 °C
			1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 ATA Device (SATA)	36 °C

Optical Drives
			ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
			TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-B123L SCSI CdRom Device
		Audio
			Balance WDM Interface

FSX.CFG

What things have you done (not listened to Prep) above to your configuration? (I list changes only)

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=60
[bUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
Poolsize=8388608
RejectThreshold=126976
[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

WideViewAspect=True

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.250000

What other VAS Killers are you Using?
Mesh: Pilot's FS Global Ultimate - Asia/Oceana; Europe/Africa; The Americas
World Texture Replacement: Orbx FTX Global 1.20
World LandClass Replacement: SceneryTech everywhere Except Orbx Open LC Europe (Which is VERY NICE)
World Vector Replacement: Orbx FTX Vector 1.15
World Environment Weather Textures Replacement: Rex Texture Direct (I have the lowest possible settings, see photo proof):

rex_settings_zpsaf4cc603.png

Weather: For the last 9 months prior to 777 SP1: FS Global Real Weather; since SP1, ASN (I've tried to dial settings down there too):

ASN-Max-Cloud-Layers_zps697eb2e2.png

ASN Min Cloud Distance

ASN-Min-Cloud-Distance_zpsde61dcae.png

ASN Max Cloud Distance

ASN-Max-Cloud-Distance_zpseb666254.png

ASN Min Visibility

ASN-Max-Surface-Visibility_zps99c3d697.p

ASN Max Upper Visibility

ASN-Max-Upper-Visibility_zps73d2468c.png

High Quality (and some low quality) Sceneries of from a Variety of the well-known providers.

Caveats -

1) I am really Heavy Iron oriented, so I don't go for low-and-slow sceneries and such.

2) I have taken to trying SceneryConfigEditor 1.1.2 and I've made groups, turned thins off, etc.

3) I recently installed (due to the Airline2Sim vidoes EarthSim stuff, but I think it may be one of the things that got my sim going on the wrong path, I've since uninstalled).

The list (too long to actually paste here), so here's a Pastebin link: http://pastebin.com/5TXFcW5J

What's there? Aerosoft, FSDreamTeam, FlightBeam, FlyTampa, UK2000, Latin VFR, some TropicalSim, PacSim, and a mixed back of others

Traffic Addons

UTX:  50% Airlines (no Daedalus, I do let the jetways move).  All schedules and software up to date)

FSX Settings

These are mostly well-behaved

Graphics:

FSX-Settings-Graphics_zpsc7fe8a1f.png

Aircraft Settings

FSX-Settings-Aircraft_zps53e93be3.png

Scenery Settings

FSX-Settings-Scenery_zps66e366da.png

Weather Settings

FSX-Settings-Weather_zps10efd5e8.png

Traffic Settings

FSX-Settings-Traffic_zpsb61ca5f2.png

NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.7.2 settings for the 337.88 driver

nVidiaNSpector_zpsae44d113.png

Other:

I can't think of anything else to share that would help characterize what I have going on.

Some things I am using that might have impact:

RAASPRO

FSDREAMTEAM's Couatl

AES

GSX

SuperTrafficBoard

Apology

I am sorry this is so long, I wouldn't have taken the time if I wasn't desperate.  I am a long-time simmer, but certainly not a perfect "know-it-all" and accept that something, somewhere, is out of hang.  I completely reinstalled FSX (using the PMDG instructions) on the July 4 weekend, and things are still just as bad.  When I could barely complete EDDF-LPPT (yes, the new Version 2.0) aerosoft version, I felt that something is amiss.

BOTTOM LINE

Can I use the 777 with the other high-quality addons for environment (the FTX Global stuff, REX on low settings, ASN, all of the major payware airports, GSX/AES) in some compromise fashion?  Although my hardware is about 3 years old, it isn't low-end either.

THANK YOU  :im Not Worthy:  :help:  ^_^ 

Thank you so much, if you took the time to read this all the way through and considered my case.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Any insights?

I was hoping someone would have a similar setup or any pointers.  Perhaps the high level of detail is a deterrent/turn-off for someone to assist, but I'd appreciate it.  I was particularly hoping to hear from someone who might be running both the Orbx Global Stuff, the 777, and the various high-quality payware.  My VAS trends are about the same whether I disable everything by the origin and destination or not.

Anyhow, I'm writing a day later to appeal for consideration and help.

Or, should I just have made this a ticket?  I was hoping for some community support also.

Thanks,

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Jeff,

AffinityMask=60>>>>>That number make no sense, change to 14 with HT OFF with HT on use 255

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120>>>>>>>>>>>>>>try 40 or 80

Download scenery config editor, and only enable addon scenery you are flying from and to. If flying in a Orbx Region, like PNW etc, disable Vector, to save VAS. I heard it works.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Jeff,

AffinityMask=60>>>>>That number make no sense, change to 14 with HT OFF with HT on use 255

Download scenery config editor, and only enable addon scenery you are flying from and to. If flying in a Orbx Region, like PNW etc, disable Vector, to save VAS. I heard it works.

It does make sense with a 6 core Intel with HT off, set to use four cores.

One thing at the original post made me curious. Yesterday, I finished my OMDB-EDDP flight with Emirates livery on -300ER with no problem.

Today I fly (for the second time) with 777F in Lufthansa Cargo livery (same as in the original post) the route EDDF-OEJN. First flight crashed somewhere over Greece with OOM message, on the actual second attempt, where I disabled all payware sceneries except EDDF and OEJN, I keep hearing the FSUIPC beep again. No OOM yet, but the model is black and some parts are missing already. And I am flying over the ocean, with just a couple of small islands in sight!

So, it may be that the Lufthansa Cargo livery causes the OOM? I will try yesterday some route with Emirates or any other livery again...

Have you looked into trying DX10 preview mode. That will force some texture processing to the video memory on your Graphics card, thus freeing up some VAS. Look in the DX10 forum here for more information and help on getting everything set up correctly. I do not know if Aerosoft FRA is DX10 ready but FSDT IAH is for sure, and looks marvelous in the mighty T7 with DX10 lighting, shows, etc, etc and runs like a dream. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

One thing at the original post made me curious. Yesterday, I finished my OMDB-EDDP flight with Emirates livery on -300ER with no problem.

Today I fly (for the second time) with 777F in Lufthansa Cargo livery (same as in the original post) the route EDDF-OEJN. First flight crashed somewhere over Greece with OOM message, on the actual second attempt, where I disabled all payware sceneries except EDDF and OEJN, I keep hearing the FSUIPC beep again. No OOM yet, but the model is black and some parts are missing already. And I am flying over the ocean, with just a couple of small islands in sight!

So, it may be that the Lufthansa Cargo livery causes the OOM? I will try yesterday some route with Emirates or any other livery again...

Interesting theory, but I've been flying the Lufthansa cargo exclusively since last September (it is all I fly in the 200F).  Before about a month ago, Long Haul was no problem.  I am thinking it is something I installed (I suspect Earth Sims) and it changed something fundamentally in the sim and now, no dice.  I get s steady decrease in VAS throughout a flight.  I can save mid-flight and proceed, but that is no way to live.

Affinity mask: yes, I have a 6 core.

I have since just went with PMDG's setup suggestions : HIGHMEMFIX and WideViewAspect, with no other tweaks (other than Inspector).

I'm affraid I'm going to have to gut FSX AGAIN and carefully add things back in to see. It takes one straw the break the camel's back.

On DX10 - I thought the "fixer" was off the market now?

I just want to run (I'll take lower textures for all of these):

Good Mesh

Good world textures replacement

Good LC

Good weather

Quality Airports (particularly where it makes sense to take the GEC 777F)

Thank you so much for the replies.  Any further insights are appreciated.

Jeff,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a 6-core, so that mast uses the back 4 cores (leaving 2 for the OS and other things like ASN, FSC, etc.)

I have since started with a new CFG and have placed only what PMDG says to put in there (with the exception of Affinity Mask = 60 again)

I have and do use the Scenery Config Editor and turn off everything but destination and origin.

I think something is causing a memory leak that would be fine in other circumstances, but not with the 777.

I was hoping by being detailed, someone would see their own experience setup and spot a problem.

NickN's guide talks about add-ons that change basic internals to FSX and I think there is some scenery, somewhere, that may have been doing this.

My Question is:

does anyone run these and still consistently fly without OOM?

Orbx Global

Orbx Vector

Orgb LC (Europe)

Scenery Tech LC (elsewhere)

Rex Texture Direct (with all the lowest settings)

ASN

a quality airport (let's say Aerosoft EDDF on one and and Flightbeam KIAH on the other)

Something has changed (and it has nothing to do with SP1).

I'll have to wait another month for a reinstall as I am going on travel, but I was hoping for a "that's it" type of fix.

Thanks again for your reply.

Jeff Bea

ouch, I really feel for you and you have a good rig but Vas is Vas..

ZORAN

On DX10 - I thought the "fixer" was off the market now?

Fixer is off the market for now but you can still get the freeware modifications from the Library here and support from the DX10 section of the forum. I personally use the fixer, and hope for the sake of anyone who was not able to purchase it that it comes back in some form or another as it has made my simming experience about 100x better than before. Still, the freeware modifications will help tremendously. Leveraging DX10 is the single best option you have in terms of VAS (even though it is harder to do so without the fixer). 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

I think you trying to run too much scenery w/high quality aircraft like PMDG T7.

Why don't you try disabling your sceney and keep your airports. Do a test flight

and see how your vas usage is.

I have the same settings that you have,ASN,Rex textures, FSX settings except for aircraft

shadows and leisure boats. To me , it's just a waiste of vas space. Also I do not run any

scenery addons except for payware airports,FSDT,Imagine sim,Fly Tampa and Latin VFR.

I completed a 19+ hr flight [WIIIKMIA] w/T7 SP1 with no problems in heavy weather.

Good Luck,C Longo

I thought I was looking at my settings there for a second lol. I'm running the same addons and exact settings as the OP except my clouds coverage density is set to low and I have no Shadows being casted for the planes. Lower your cloud coverage. Delete the reason dll from xml file. Only program you have that I'm not using is scenery Tech land class. When I fly I disable all but the 2 airports I use. I leave vector, global, open lc eu. Some of the contributors of increased VAS is changing views too many times around detailed airports and too much clouds (that's why I keep mine at low). I also monitor my VAS closely with process explore and I can watch the VAS increase and decrease depending on what I'm doing.

By doing all of this with my settings my fsx looks great and I can do 10+ hr flights to high quality airports

Interesting theory, but I've been flying the Lufthansa cargo exclusively since last September (it is all I fly in the 200F).  Before about a month ago, Long Haul was no problem.  I am thinking it is something I installed (I suspect Earth Sims) and it changed something fundamentally in the sim and now, no dice.  I get s steady decrease in VAS throughout a flight.  I can save mid-flight and proceed, but that is no way to live.

Yes, you have been flying GEC since release, but you have installed the livery again after the update, right? Maybe PMDG changed something in the livery that causes OOMs? I mean, I don`t say I found the solution, but I have already completed two six hours flights with Emirates -300ER and was not able to complete the flight with GEC 77F. With this livery I got OOM after two hours from start.

These are the things that were different from my successful flights s they can be the cause...

1) Aerosoft EDDF instead of Aerosoft EDDP or FlyTampa OMDB as origin airport. Maybe EDDF is heavier on the VAS and it then rises faster over the top?

2) 77F instead of -300ER. Maybe something wrong with the 77F model after SP1?

3) Lufthansa Cargo instead of Emirates Livery. Maybe something wrong in GEC livery after the SP1?

Now, I`m currently doing ZSPD-EDDM with Air China -300ER, so far six hours, so far so good. Will let you know, whether I successfully completed the flight...

Disable any payware airports or high detailed airports that are not in use. I used to VAS out and adopted this technique. No more issues

For a long flight I will likely have my ALTN's at destination and a minimal number enroute.

Try sceneryconfigeditor v1.1.2. Allows you to make all of these changes quickly rather than launching fsx or manually changing the cfg file.

My 2 cents but solved my VAS problems.

Rodney Aylmore.

hi ,

i never had oom before until today ,

i did a fligth from EHAM to KIAH  and was cruising over the ocean .I was in the kitchen making a sandwich when suddenly i heared bling bling ...

Went to the pc and it was the oom warning .

it was touching 3.8GB... cruising at 34000 feet  between Iceland and Greenland ...The only airports active in the scenery library were EHAM and KIAH , i m on DX10...never ever had a problem with the 777 before sp1 only on approach to CYVR with high cloud setting in REX but when i reduced the clouds to 512 everything was fine until today ...

The most strange about this is yesterday i completed a flight OMDB KIAH OMDB in one time , without shutting down fsx or the computer .

1 hour ago after the oom i restarted my pc and programmed the EHAM KIAH flight again with the same route the same dep runway etc...

Just before taking of runway 36L at Eham my vas was 2.8gb ,  after Climbing out at 5000 feet it reduced to 2.3Gb

At time of writing i am about half an hour into flight at 40 miles before GOW at 34000 feet with nasty weather and the vas is 2.6 GB, private bytes (???? don't know what this is )1.9 and working set (???) 2.0

so why and when did my vas increasde in the first flight , i didn't changed the setings and was just as now cruising at 34000 feet  only this time just before GOW and the first flight between Iceland and Greenland but hut cruise over the atlantic..

Yesterday a flight from KLAX to YBBN and went to sleep , when i woke up only a message ..oom !!!!

I have made several long flights with the 777 sp1 and 777-300  and never ever had a vas problem .

The only thing i changed is that i downloaded and reinstalled the full version  from the pmdg webstore while my previous flights were made using the 777RTM and a manual update to SP1 

Best regards ,

Gérard