Sign in to follow this  
Bozdog

Just Flight Dc3 On Offer For 72 Hours - Any One Got This?

Reviews for this seem very good, but they are  a few years old now, anyone out there got any hands on  opinions on it (especailly on Air Hauler)

Cheers

Steve

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

I believe Just Flight offers a demo mode.  You can fly as much as you want as long as you stay under about 1000 feet.  This is enough to test out the basic aircraft.  If you get above that altitude, most of the screen blacks out.

I've got it, but I decided I liked the default (with some tweaks and mods) better.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

The cockpit contains default guages which is unacceptable to me.  The MAAMsim DC3 is far superior even with the FSX fix.  The outside is decent but doesen't look like a 60 year old aircraft.

Dave Taylor gb.png

The other option to consider - and I really can't recommend it highly enough - is the freeware C-47 v2 by a team headed by Manfred Jahn, and including flight dynamics by Alexander Metzger (a true star who's just been recruited by PMDG to design the FDE for their upcoming DC-6).  It's an extraordinary piece of work - it really outclasses most of the payware currently out there.  It includes failure modes (though not persistent maintenance) and balky engine starts.  There's also a wonderful custom soundset available.  The only area where it doesn't totally measure up is in the VC - it's a bit spare and modern, based on earlier VC's that Manfred designed for his freeware versions of the C-117D and the Basler BT-67 (a DC-3 turboconversion).  However, that's being remedied at the moment - Jan Visser, of MAAMsim fame, is currently working on a new "vintage VC" that looks stunning.

The aircraft is available exclusively through Sim Outhouse.  Follow the link in this thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?83101-FSX-Douglas-C-47-V2-zip

For the remaining elements:

Texture Basepack: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=3&linkid=17613

Soundpack (called V3 but for use with V2 of the aircraft):http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=115&linkid=17612

Paintkit: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=3&linkid=17614

For a long thread with lots of pictures of Jan's work-in-progress VC: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?84263-Attention-all-DC-3-fans-!

Finally, there's a ton of repaints available - check them out on Sim Outhouse, flightsim.com and Aussiex.org.  I'm sure there are some here at Avsim as well - just haven't checked recently.

Enjoy!

"The other option to consider - and I really can't recommend it highly enough - is the freeware C-47 v2 by a team headed by Manfred Jahn, and including flight dynamics by Alexander Metzger (a true star who's just been recruited by PMDG to design the FDE for their upcoming DC-6)."

+1

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Thanks Alan will check that out as soon as I back at my pc :-)

Quest 2

Windows 11

@Bozdog - I think you'll get a huge amount out of it.  Just to put it in perspective - I love A2A's stuff and spend a lot of time with it, but I think that at the moment, Manfred's C-47 is giving me more enjoyment.  That's partly because it suits my kind of flying, but also because it's that good.

One detail - you'll find it doesn't have a conventional installer.  You have to hand-copy some files and folders (to simobjects/aircraft, /gauges and /effects).  Not at all hard to do, just something to watch out for.

Again, enjoy!

Just for info:

C-47 v2 is working well for me in P3D V2.2 also ....

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Somone is also making a Vintage VC for it as well. I have the JF DC-3 as it was the only decent one available at the time but now the only DC-3 I have installed is Manferds as its superior

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Vonmar - I am not too familiar with installing aircrafts manually - Is this difficult to do in P3D v2?

Thank you

Sri

Vonmar - I am not too familiar with installing aircrafts manually - Is this difficult to do in P3D v2?

Thank you

Sri

Not at all just follow the instructions in the read me and just drag and drop the folders to where it says

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Just for info:

C-47 v2 is working well for me in P3D V2.2 also ....

Same here.  I'm flying P3D 2.2 almost exclusively these days, and using Manfred's C-47 more than any other aircraft.

Somone is also making a Vintage VC for it as well.

That would be Jan Visser, who was one of the developers of the MAAMsim DC-3 (well, R4D, but you know what I mean...)  There's a long thread at Sim Outhouse where he details his current VC development.  It's a long slow process (in part because it requires new gauge coding) and there's no ETA, but it sure looks like it's going to be worth the wait.  Details here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?84263-Attention-all-DC-3-fans-

Thank you

Sri

As Vonmar said, it's a simple copy and paste - same steps as with the FSX install.  There's only one additional thing to think about in P3D2, which has to do with the sounds.  If you decide not to use the custom soundpack (link in my post earlier in this thread), you'll find that the base install of the C-47 wants to alias the sounds from the default DC-3.  But P3D2 doesn't have a default DC-3, so basic sounds will be missing.  There are two possible remedies: 1) if you have an FSX install, copy the sound folder from your default FSX DC-3 to the C-47 P3D install (drop it into the C-47 folder in /simobjects/airplanes), or, 2) download and install the custom soundpack.  Option 2 is clearly the better one - the FSX default sounds aren't bad but the custom soundpack is much better.  

In all, not a big deal, just something else to be aware of.

Alan, thats ridiculous that its free!  Registered, downloaded, quick 2 min test on triple screen.  Works fine looks good,  thank you very much !!!!

Steve

Quest 2

Windows 11