Sign in to follow this  
Bozdog

Just Flight Dc3 On Offer For 72 Hours - Any One Got This?

Couldn't help but poke in here anytime I see something about a DC3/C-47 thread.  I enjoy flying the Dak in P3Dv2 also.

When I did this video, my P3Dv2.2 wasn't setup for a smooth flight... just installed P3Dv2.2 and first aircraft I loaded up was Manfred's Dak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcbvsH3QU9o

Anyone know how to start the engines, I can only get 1 started  despite following same procedure!  Trying for an hour, watched vids on u tube  but only 1 engine will start the other keeps saying FAIL

Agh!

ps Ctl E dosnt work either

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

Finally got it working, but cant find the cowl flaps switch in the VC,   fortunalty my Saitek panel has it on,  any one give me a pointer to where it is ? on the overhead? Cant see the wood through the trees?

Cheers

Quest 2

Windows 11

The other option to consider - and I really can't recommend it highly enough - is the freeware C-47 v2 by a team headed by Manfred Jahn, and including flight dynamics by Alexander Metzger (a true star who's just been recruited by PMDG to design the FDE for their upcoming DC-6).

+111111

Fabulous aircraft. Great flight dynamics. Watch your engine temps or they'll catch fire - just like on the real thing. Love it. And it's free!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

"cant find the cowl flaps switch in the VC"

Use SHFT + 3 for a 2D pop-up control panel (I UnDock it and put it on my second monitor for the entire flight).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqwgltey99tzpmk/C47-V2-CtrlPnl.jpg

Note:I had mentioned the 2D cockpit in my first reply.  Sorry about that.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Finally got it working, but cant find the cowl flaps switch in the VC

Use the control panel to adjust your cowl flaps. SHIFT+2 I think.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Use the control panel to adjust your cowl flaps. SHIFT+2 I think.

Right.  IIRC you can control them by mousing over the CHT readings and using the mouse wheel to scroll them open or closed.  I might be wrong about that - what I typically do is use the keyboard shortcut - Control+Shift+V to open, Control+Shift+C to close.  Each press represents a 25 percent increment so you can set the flaps in trail if you want.

It looks like Jan's VC will include cowl flap switches (on the copilot's side below the window).

There's a lot of information available if you use tooltips in the Shift+2 windows.  For example...

Anyone know how to start the engines, I can only get 1 started  despite following same procedure!  Trying for an hour, watched vids on u tube  but only 1 engine will start the other keeps saying FAIL

...about engine starts, if you hover your mouse over the "Start" cells, the tooltips will explain why you're having trouble starting.  There are typically a couple of reasons.  The first is that you can flood the carburetor - if that happens, you'll have to wait a minute or two before trying a restart.  The other is that the mixture is sensitive to temperature and on a hot day it's possible to set the mixture too rich.  What works best for me is to use the start procedure from the real aircraft - fuel pumps on, a couple of shots of primer with mixture full rich, then close the mixture, hit "start" and let the blades turn (you can count nine blades if you want), then let the mixture in slowly.  It'll usually catch... but not always.  The engines are realistically temperamental, which is part of what's great about the aircraft.

Another nice feature of the Shift+2 window - you can click on the tailwheel cell to lock or unlock it without reaching down to the bottom of the pedestal, which is handy when you want to unlock it during the landing roll without taking your eyes off the runway.  Helps prevent bending a nice airplane.

Couldn't help but poke in here anytime I see something about a DC3/C-47 thread.  I enjoy flying the Dak in P3Dv2 also.

Welcome!  Great to see you here.

For those who aren't aware, Ted (TuFun) Wolfgang is the person responsible for the custom soundset.  So full credit where it's due, which it most definitely is.

Alan, thats ridiculous that its free! 

Couldn't agree more.  I've paid top dollar for payware that isn't nearly as good.  It's extraordinarily generous of these guys to give us a product of this quality for free.  If they ever decided to charge for it, I'd happily pay and never think of complaining.

Now if only Jan would get that VC out the door (grumble, snarl, pace, grumble...)  B)

Thanks all I have quickly learnt not to push those engines too hard . Engine fire 5 minutes after talking off from Innsbruck no fun with mountains on both sides !

Quest 2

Windows 11

I have quickly learnt not to push those engines too hard .

Yeah, she'll teach you quickly...

As a general rule, about 55 inches manifold for takeoff, but quickly back to 40 and under 2500 rpm for climb.  She'll cruise nicely at 29 inches and 2100.  Keep the shift+2 window open and watch for any numbers that turn yellow or red.  And welcome to the wonderful world of old radials with minds of their own...

Brilliant failures add so much more I am a bit of a lazy rule breaker when I fly - over 250 below 10.000 etc love models that make me pay attention and stick to tolerances and punish me for careless actions :-)

Quest 2

Windows 11

I can recall departing with cowl closed ... once!

C47-Port-Eng-Prob_zps2448a259.jpg

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

It's terrible.  They didn't even bother to make their own secondary 2d panels - they are the default.  The default plane in FSX is just as good.

It's terrible.  They didn't even bother to make their own secondary 2d panels - they are the default.  The default plane in FSX is just as good.

EDIT: Oh, wait - you were referring to the JustFlight DC-3, weren't you?  Apologies - I just wrote a sharp comeback on the assumption that you were criticizing the freeware one for not having custom panels.  But that's not what you meant at all.  Original text is therefore deleted - and that'll teach me to react to posts late at night or early in the morning or whatever it is.

I agree completely that the default DC-3 is very good - maybe the best default plane ever.  I give Manfred's an edge in a couple of categories (sound, flight dynamics, failure modeling) and I think when Jan's new VC comes along, it's going to be the clear winner.  But the default sets a high standard and, speaking personally, I also prefer it to the Just Flight one.

Cheers!

Edited by Alan_A

I would check out the Uiver DC-2. It's very consequence driven for failure to stick with strict protocol. FDE is very well done. Taxi and takeoff in even the slightest cross wind presents a real challenge. Systems are really modeled well. VC is good but not great. Save your $8 and put it toward this one. This DC-2 is the best DC-3 out there right now as they say. Manfred Jan's is nice as well but prefer the Uiver model.

Cheers,

Brian

EDIT: Oh, wait - you were referring to the JustFlight DC-3, weren't you?  Apologies - I just wrote a sharp comeback on the assumption that you were criticizing the freeware one for not having custom panels.  But that's not what you meant at all.  Original text is therefore deleted - and that'll teach me to react to posts late at night or early in the morning or whatever it is.

I agree completely that the default DC-3 is very good - maybe the best default plane ever.  I give Manfred's an edge in a couple of categories (sound, flight dynamics, failure modeling) and I think when Jan's new VC comes along, it's going to be the clear winner.  But the default sets a high standard and, speaking personally, I also prefer it to the Just Flight one.

Cheers!

Thanks!  I was talking about the Just Flight Bird which was released before that company made a sharp commitment to far more detailed sims (like the Canberra which is excellent - I hope the re-done TriStar is just as good...)