Sign in to follow this  
JohnsonPBX

Is this view realistic?

yes that is a pretty much perfect seat position (according the Boeing FCTM) for an IFR low vis approach and landing!

It just means that in FSX you cant see enough area outside in my opinion.

Now if you would combine that view with a trackIR setup that just shifts your eye point up slowly and gently and no more than a few degrees up when you tilt your head up (rather than those swoosh left/right swoosh up/down setups where the cockpit just flashes buy and make you dizzy), then you have a real good view.

Even the engine parameter(s) are visible :-)

Just one question, are the displays not too small like this Luke?

Rob Robson

How about this, what? What "Zoom" levels were you using? It's a video and there are hundreds like it without information.

Not sure why are you worked up..To answer your question this can be achieved at zoom level of 0.9 to 1.0. If you see this video his view is not much stretched or the fisheye effect when he looks around.So he is pretty much close to 0.9 to 1.0 zoom.On looking at this video I tried tinkering with ezdok and trackir.I am pretty much close to what he has in the video. His head position is actually in the headrest of the seat.With ezdok alone this might not be very much possible.Track IR helps here.I have my zoom set to 1.0 and with little tinkering is 80% close to his video.

Go back too far into your seat and you loose the ability to click your buttons and switches, so if you want to see your instruments while flying, you are stuck with a unrealistic zoom factor.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yeah you lose click spots here..thats why trackir helps here..you move your head a little forward and you get the clickspots back..

Latin VFR Miami..he has mentioned all the details under his youtube video.

Awesome graphics.....what addon is that?

Just one question, are the displays not too small like this Luke?

I actually like using the pop out PFD/ND when hand flying :-) 

Hi all,

Interesting topic,

I use TrackIR and have to say I find it very natural to just look round the cockpit as easily as I would in real life just by turning my head. If you play around with the settings a bit you can alter the speeds and smoothness to suit yourself. I tried a quick flight without TrackIR the other day after installing an aircraft and couldn't fly it properly without looking round the sky to see where I was going, for me it's that good.

Also of interest to this topic are a couple of video's on YouTube by "Almost Aviation" called "Wide aspect and Zoom pt 1 and pt2" in which he explores the view out of the window and what it should look like compared to the real thing. When we see our beloved 747 and 777 in fsx and indeed on fsx video's they always show nice large cockpits with all the screens showing in the one view. They really are not that large in real life. Just last week I got to check out the cockpit of a real 747-400 and I was surprised at just how small it was for such a large aircraft.

Following on from watching the video's mentioned I have set my VC  default zoom to 1.0. It takes some getting used to, as it's tricky to see out the window and the instruments during landing, but then that's what TrackIR is for! It does however make the immersive felling of being in a small cockpit much greater and I think much more realistic.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

ah ok, yes, same here :-)

I'm using a 24 inch monitor - when zoomed out a wee bit the screens can be tiny, especially with tired eyes lol. It's amazing how more accurate you can actually fly with the display size increased! The real one has perfect size screens. 787 must be even better! I'll have to try get in one of those sims when I'm over at BA's training centre soon.... 

Hey Luke, could you please provide a screenshot of your TO / Landing view? I still haven't figured out which is that so-famous white cross! 

Yes, in the future I'd also love to get a TrackIR. Only problem is I'm unemployed now, which means I can't afford something as expensive. Right now max I could afford would be EZCA / OpusFSX, which is why I was asking for opinions on both. TrackIR is a must have for me in the future, nonetheless!

Suggestion: if you don't already have a weather engine, get Opus. It gives you cameras and weather. If you have a weather engine, get EZdok. Opus cameras are linked to Opus weather and won't show turbulence from any other source. So if you use Active Sky, Opus will not reflect the turbulence with their Dynamic Head Movement. EZdok will reflect it in theirs, regardless of the source. Nothing wrong with Opus cameras. I think EZdok is better. That's just my take. But again, Opus will also give you a good weather program.

Why doesn't someone (single or plural) post a screenshot of their view when 'sitting' in the cockpit? Maybe straight out and looking at the PFD. That way, we could all get some good info. I have just purchased the plane, and I'd like to get a realistic viewpoint.

I looked at the FCOMv2. OK...that's pretty. But what does he see when he looks out the window? If I can match that with aligning the control column with the rudder pedal adjustment, then that would be neat.

Now I know that it will depend on a number of variables. But if folks could post with their screen resolution and zoom factor; we could all learn something; and make up our own minds. That would, of course, depend on all of us being civilized and saying thank you; as opposed to the "that's not right"..."oh yeah?" crap.