Sign in to follow this  
charleslee201

Where is P3DV2.3 better than FSX Dx 10

I recently installed 2.3 and while it is very smooth out the box I get great fps like, that comes to an end once there is good amount of cloud coverage. I still fly fsx for my pmdg planes and I must say I get great performance at some of the hardest hitting airports with cloud and all. I would like to use p3d for my GA flying but the fact that the clouds kill my fps is not helping.

It seems like I have to have clear weather for a smooth flight. My computer is pretty beefed up. I7 4770k running at 4.7ghz, gtx 780 and 16gb ram.

All the addons I installed in p3d works. Only thing left is asn. I just want the cloud issue resolved

What is your Cloud Coverage Density slider set at?

Have you tried dropping that down a notch or two?

What is your Cloud Coverage Density slider set at?

Have you tried dropping that down a notch or two?

it's on low 60 miles

So here it is. its long so you might want to skip through it. Not the setting at the beginning.

The only setting I have not adjusted yet are traffic except for rad traffic. FSDreamteam CYVR to ORBX CYSE Over ORBX PNW. I left the frame counter on. I would have anticipated a much lower FPS with these setting:-)

4770k at 4.6ghz and GtX780 overclocked 200mhz core and mem:

What the hell? My water doesn´t look like that... :unsure:

What is your settings? :wub:

So here it is. its long so you might want to skip through it. Not the setting at the beginning.

The only setting I have not adjusted yet are traffic except for rad traffic. FSDreamteam CYVR to ORBX CYSE Over ORBX PNW. I left the frame counter on. I would have anticipated a much lower FPS with these setting:-)

4770k at 4.6ghz and GtX780 overclocked 200mhz core and mem:

well that is looking good thanks

it's on low 60 miles

It's actually flying inside a cloud that drops the fps, so reducing the vis distance doesn't help too much. P3D clouds are different to FSX and unfortunately use up a lot more fps when flying inside them.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

In P3D V2.3, water on Ultra with 1M mesh some surface wind -- and if you turn on Bathymetry at supported locations you will see the wave heights change based on bathymetry data below water surface.  You can test this out on west coast and east cost and hawaii ... it's pretty cool.

But I'm sure everyone knows that about P3D.

I'm hoping a 3rd party dev will release more recent/accurate Bathymetry data  so we can enjoy the benefit over the globe.  Of course that would mean a P3D V2.x only product since FSX has nothing like this.  ;)

Cheers, Rob.

This topic is soo funny...when are we going to start the "my dad is better than your dad" conversation?

Just use whichever sim you think is best after you have tried them out. Discussion over.

The "when will fsx die out" discussion is an interesting topic. Fsx was a great sim and it will be sad when it's consigned to history. I think it will be a major player until the end of the decade though. The top download tables on flight sim sites still have plenty of fs9 addons high up the list so migration is slow! I reckon it will be at least 3 or 4 years before p3d overtakes it.

It's actually flying inside a cloud that drops the fps

This will depend on your AA settings and video card.  SGSS AA will suffer a lot inside a cloud, but MSAA and FXAA don't seem to impact fps much.

As far as cloud shadow distances, I seem to get better performance out of 80,000m than 10,000m ... I'm not exactly sure why ... Beau (LM) may have touched on this topic but I can't remember.

Cheers, Rob.

This topic is soo funny...when are we going to start the "my dad is better than your dad" conversation?

It's the same (almost to the letter) type of discussions when FSX came out and everyone was on FS9 ... almost exactly to the letter the same.  History does repeat itself.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes

This will depend on your AA settings and video card.  SGSS AA will suffer a lot inside a cloud, but MSAA and FXAA don't seem to impact fps much.

True, AA setup always counts for something, but none the less, the clouds are different, and the fact remains they sap fps unlike FSX clouds.

f I was going to compare P3D with any graphics mode in FSX, it certainly wouldn't be with DX10. As I have stated many times in the past, FSX in DX10 mode was graphically inferior to DX9 mode on my old PC.

Yes, on your PC. Certainly not mine. Your statement sounds to the casual reader, that DX10 is crap compared to Dx9, which is totally false. Just because you could not get it configured correctly, does not mean that is what it is like for all users who use the Dx10 fixer. That is just silly. Be the same if I said DX9 is far superior to P3D, when in fact, it was the way I configured P3D.

But as you said, on your old PC. So it was your old PC, not DX10, so how can DX10 be inferior to DX9 ?

Yes
True, AA setup always counts for something, but none the less, the clouds are different, and the fact remains they sap fps unlike FSX clouds.

Just thinking out loud here, but is it feasible for LM to implement a "Cloud Cull" feature that the Dx10 fixer has. Where cloud that is not in your line of sight gets culled, hence increasing fps.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I recently installed 2.3 and while it is very smooth out the box I get great fps like, that comes to an end once there is good amount of cloud coverage. I still fly fsx for my pmdg planes and I must say I get great performance at some of the hardest hitting airports with cloud and all. I would like to use p3d for my GA flying but the fact that the clouds kill my fps is not helping.

It seems like I have to have clear weather for a smooth flight. My computer is pretty beefed up. I7 4770k running at 4.7ghz, gtx 780 and 16gb ram.

All the addons I installed in p3d works. Only thing left is asn. I just want the cloud issue resolved

Install ASN, as the new beta that was released yesterday is much easier on FPS than the older one.

My system is an i7 4770K @ 4.2GHz, with a superclocked GTX 780 and 16 GB RAM. This is from last night's flying:

Cessna_over_Kailua_HI.jpg

I was over Kailua, HI, with Orbx FTX Global, Vector and FS 2010 Mesh, with ASN. My P3D settings are pretty high (with Cloud shadows and Terrain shadows enable). With v.2.2, under similar cloud cover, I had to back off some settings and disable cloud shadows; now with v.2.3 I just leave the settings alone and fly. :)

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

well that is looking good thanks

So are you convinced?Big%20Grin.gif

Just thinking out loud here, but is it feasible for LM to implement a "Cloud Cull" feature that the Dx10 fixer has. Where cloud that is not in your line of sight gets culled, hence increasing fps.

I don't see why not. Another good idea might be to ditch the old simple clouds and replace with FSX style detailed clouds as the P3Dv2 simple clouds alternative, for those with lesser systems.

Sparse grid sampling is a requirement for some planes due to the way objects are scaled and rendered in-sim (DX10 & DX11), and they show their outside model and instrument displays looking crumpled when zoomed out to a certain extent. On a GTX680 card when in the heart of a cloud I gained around 5fps going from 8xSGSS to 2xSS, worth some consideration as you say.

I think it will be a major player until the end of the decade though.

I highly doubt it. XP is taking the beginner to semi-serious flight sim market  and P3d has already carved out the high end. In another year, they will begin to approach each other from different directions, squeezing FSX in the middle. And a 64 bit P3d 3.0 would make it happen even faster than that. There are still people using FS9 and Flight, so there will always be at least a quarter to a third of people using FSX. But they will be using it for one or more of Rob's reasons. The fact that they can't afford both new hardware and  more sophisticated add-ons  is my pick for the main reason.

Just wait and see how many people ditch FSX, when PMDG releases a 777 for either XP or P3d (or maybe both). 

It's an interesting time for flight simulation, no doubt.

Like many others in this thread, FSX has been my primary sim platform for longer than I'd care to admit (hard to believe it came out in 2006).  Even with its poorly "optimized" coding, less-than-stunning visuals, sometimes unrealistic flight dynamics modelling, and a quite a few other problems, it is enjoyable.  And the chief reason for that enjoyment stems from the incredible 3rd party add-on community because their products ameliorated (or swept under the rug) many of the core issues of the sim.  For me, the release of Prepar3D in 2010 was both exciting and frustrating; exciting because a well-funded development group was tasked with fixing and improving upon the core engine of FSX, but frustrating due to the EULA and its implications for the add-on community.

I stayed on the P3D sidelines until recently: I just installed P3D 2.3 a few days ago, and I'm very pleased but not blown away.  The sim still loads one processor core very heavily, and the comments of Rob and Beau suggest this is deeply ingrained in the coding of the sim.  Even with improvements in dolling out tasks to other threads, the need for one main managing thread to synchronize everything is potentially troubling (IPC isn’t improving by leaps and bounds).  Visually, P3D2.3 is a significant step up from FSX in many areas (no surprise), but autogen instancing and the LOD radius still leave much to be desired.  In addition, cockpits are still too dark (IMHO) and cockpit shadows are jagged and don’t respond to increased levels of anti-aliasing.  Cooperation between LM and Nvidia and the eventual move to 64-bit will undoubtedly help with visual issues and the ever-increasing complexity of 3rd party add-ons, respectively.

But sgreen91 brings up some excellent points regarding the FLIGHT SIMULATION aspect of P3D.  I haven’t seen any talk of improving the sim in the following areas:

-Flight dynamics and ground physics modelling

-Updating cira-2006 airports and navigational aids

-An overhaul of the ATC system

Granted, it's a project in development, and I understand that right now the team is in “performance mode”.  I fully support that, and it’s about time our venerable sim got a boost in overall performance.  I just wonder when we’ll hear about some of these important issues.  For now, P3D2.3 is a good step in the right direction.

-Elliot

Intel Core i9 10900k @ 5.1 GHz / Asus Maximus Hero XII / Nvidia RTX 3090 FE / 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16-16-16-36 / Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB NVMe / Noctua NH-D15 / EVGA Supernova 1600 T2 / Honeycomb Alpha Yoke / CH Pro Pedals / Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant / HP Reverb G2