Sign in to follow this  
charleslee201

Where is P3DV2.3 better than FSX Dx 10

P.S. I sold my race car last week :( ... my focus is now on PPL and then hopefully a small used single engine prop. I keep my sig for sentimental values ... but hey, now that I'm not racing I can afford to buy PC hardware so it's all good.

Are you still keeping your 'stud race car driver' profile picture on here too?     :rolleyes:     But hey, I'm totally not judging you.    ^_^

But hey, I'm totally not judging you. 

In that case you're not human!  ... yeah that was a few years ago ... age 42 I think?

That is worrying. I hope they're not teaching potential pilots using the default aircraft used in P3D. Maybe they're using it to teach drone pilots. That figures.

If you think any ground based flight sim app provides an accurate feel of what a real aircraft provides, you are sadly mistaken. Don't get me wrong, I love the A2A C172 and Cherokee 180 and with TrackIR they come as close as possible to real piloting  as one can achieve with present consumer technology. But I digress.

The main purpose of a simulator in a training setting is to bridge the gap between reading about it in books and actually flying a plane. And programs like P3d are in fact, somewhere in the middle of those two endpoints. When I learned to fly (30+ years ago), the trainer had no GPS and every gauge was steam.  And that was hard enough to figure out. A flight sim program allows one to focus on not only piloting the aircraft, but understanding all of its systems and peculiarities. You can create real life scenarios and go through that scenario one hundred times if you want, without risk to the aircraft or the occupants. There is a lot of "What if" to simulator training as much as there is "How to".

That is worrying. I hope they're not teaching potential pilots using the default aircraft used in P3D. Maybe they're using it to teach drone pilots. That figures.

FAA approved flight training systems are far more accurate than you can clearly appreciate. Avionics simulations so accurate I've personally been accused of reverse-engineering a company's software. Flight dynamics that mimic what the real aircraft is capable of. Visuals that are accurate enough for VFR familiarity of the actual airport before ever taking to the real skies.

That which you just insulted... is what I do for a living. You have no idea what you're talking about.

If you have a beef with Lockheed-Martin... that's your problem. When you attack my profession as part of that beef... you're just plain wrong.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

But for simulating the actual physics of flight I'll stick to FSX

You don't like how P3D handles the physics of flight, so you'll use FSX instead with the exact same handling of the physics of flight.

Brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.  :Applause:

So here's a question. What would FSX/P3D have to simulate for someone to think it's a complete flight dynamics simulation? I'm not talking about systems or ATC, but just flight.

Obviously there would need to be actual force feedback and motion, but I'm thinking more of just the mechanics. Such as simulating wake (which according to Matt Davies latest video, XPX does which is kind of impressive)

So here's a question. What would FSX/P3D have to simulate for someone to think it's a complete flight dynamics simulation? I'm not talking about systems or ATC, but just flight.

What I'm still missing and what COULD be done are:

- ground effect - It would be really nice to have it to be able to do correct flare before touchdown

- simulation of ground bumps, holes and more resistance on grass runways - it is pretty scary when you are doing this for first time in real world and your speed is little too high

- sloppy runways (yes, I know this is theoretically possible however not used too much)

AFAIK ground effect is simulated in DCS. So I wish finally someone would include this in P3D (or some addon to P3D).

I wonder why didn't any developer thought of adding this effect. It is quite important for flight training.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

- ground effect - It would be really nice to have it to be able to do correct flare before touchdown

- simulation of ground bumps, holes and more resistance on grass runways - it is pretty scary when you are doing this for first time in real world and your speed is little too high

- sloppy runways (yes, I know this is theoretically possible however not used too much)

AFAIK ground effect is simulated in DCS. So I wish finally someone would include this in P3D (or some addon to P3D).

I wonder why didn't any developer thought of adding this effect. It is quite important for flight training.

Simulation of ground bumps -

Accufeel as rparson99 mentioned. This will give you all your squeaks and sounds. Use this with Opus DHM (Dynamic Head Movement) where opus models the effects of bumps, shakes etc all calculated on realtime data.

Slope runways - 

can be done and has as you put it. I would expect to see more of these now as developers have more to play with :)

Rob,

Get yourself a copy of Assetto Corsa for the PC on Steam (early access beta at the moment). That has quite a few Lotus cars in it. It's also at half price this weekend :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

This for me at least is why I haven't totally bought into P3D2. It's (slowly) addressing the old FSX performance issues, but outside of those and some fairly modest visual improvements hasn't actually moved the simulation aspects any further forward.

The kind of stuff I'm looking for - some have already been mentioned:

- Improvements to the now very old flight modelling system. In particular how behaviour towards the edge and outside of the flight envelope is modelled. Proper stall and spin behaviour.

- Improvements to flight/engine modelling that allow proper and realistic performance for jet fighters throughout their entire flight envelope.

- Proper modelling of turboprop engines.

- Runways that correctly follow the terrain contours. Yes sloping runways can be done in FSX/P3D but my understanding is you can't get AI to take off or land on them.

- Big revisions to the ATC system to address the problems outlined earlier in this thread.

- Address the long standing problem with the weather engine that the likes of HiFi have grappled with for many years now.

- Make weather have a consequence - give us runway conditions that reflect the weather, real turbulence that actually makes flying into a supercell dangerous, modelling of wind conditions in mountains, airframe icing, wake turbulence...

- Support proper modelling of vectored thrust engines.

- Proper helicopter flight modelling - i.e. ground effect, vortex ring state, translational lift, retreating blade stall.

- Give us a better damage engine i.e. burst a tire on hard landing, control surface or airframe damage if flying above Vne or overstressing the airframe, bird strikes.

- Better engine modelling i.e. no flying the throttle wide open all day with no consequence.

- Better and more fully featured flight planning built into the sim.

- Updatable navigation aids databases.

None of these things are graphical or performance related improvements.I know some of them can already be done to one degree or another by third parties, but often via addon modules that may or may not conflict with one another and may or may not cause problems elsewhere. That's why I'm disappointed when LM say they have no plans to do any of these things and would rather leave them to third parties. Incorporating any of these improvements into P3D2 would give us a better and more complete simulation, which is ostensibly what we are all striving for.

I hope if and when 64bit comes which we know is going to have big implications for backward compatibility, LM bite the bullet and take the opportunity to make at leat some of the improvements I've outlined above.

Rob, you should look into soaring. Coming from driving race cars I can see you loving the challenges of soaring. First of all at the competitive level it is all about racing. Modern sailplanes and by that I mean anything built in the last 40 years LOL are pretty high performance. On a good thermaling day you can easily overtake a Cessna between thermal. Sailplanes are highly maneuverable and most are highly Aerobatic capable.

Ridge running you can easily do 200kph just a couple of hundred feet of the ground for the length of the ridge. Some are hundreds of miles long. That's the nearest you will ever get to flying a fighter (unless you fly a fighter). Piloting a sailplane is highly nuanced and requires the same kind of finesse required buy race car drivers. Trust me you are made for it.

Here is one of my favourite videos for promoting the sport of soaring:

And its not quite off topic either. Compare the cloud Shadows, terrain shadows, water etc. in this RW video to what you see in P3D V2.3 IMHO P3D V2.3 is quite close. FSX was good but it just doesn't get anything like as close to the look of the real world as P3D V2.3 does.

P.S. I sold my race car last week ... my focus is now on PPL and then hopefully a small used single engine prop.  I keep my sig for sentimental values ... but hey, now that I'm not racing I can afford to buy PC hardware so it's all good.

Wow, must have been a sad day Rob, although the prospects of buying an airplane must provide a little solace. I for one was hooked when I had the opportunity to race Lotus 7s at a track in Normandy, I've been pining to get back on the track since that day so I can imagine how much it must hurt selling the Elise. Side note I would love to build a Caterham one day and put an RX-7 motor in it.

Well chaps...this discussion could go on and on over the merits of "...tell me why I should move to P3D, blah, blah...".  Why should ANYBODY have to convince ANYBODY about ANYTHING, let alone flight simulation?!?!?!?    The person asking the question, or posting this type or thread, already knows what he or she wants.  He or she is a fence sitter, that wants others to do the....do I or don't I argument for them.  Jeez...DO YOU WANT IT?!?  THEN GET IT?  If not....well, fella, or gal,....you have your status quo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For myself,....I am always curious....will always put the toe into the water, for then, and only then, I will know what was a good move for me....because I am the only person that can answer that. Nobody else can.....

That being said, I am right now in a paused flight in PNW, just took off out of KORS with ASN driving REX 4 SP3.   What I am flying through and over at present speaks to my ear..that this was a most fantastic decision....to purchase the rights to use the P3D franchise...and enjoy every moment...every nuance, every DROP of what this franchise can offer me.  The payout is huge....absolutely huge.....    People are either in...or are out....and quite frankly...the people that post a 'so what is so better about, blah, blah'....most likely would not be satisfied, or convinced anyway....for they lack their own and vital self-curiosity of what is 'just around that mountain pass'.  I ride motorcycles...and ALWAYS wonder, ....what is around that bend in the road....and I WILL be there to find out......

Back to the flight....what a world...what a day....and P3D v2.3 is everything I had always wanted in ONE flight sim platform.....and to that....I raise a glass of cheer....to toast the team...toast the hard working Beta Team Members, and to see with excitement....what else LM can pull out of the bag....and I will....be....amazed, I'm sure!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->C377....................................................................to out.....THERE.......!

Here is one of my favourite videos for promoting the sport of soaring

Is the fuchsia bucket hat required to participate? If so, I'm out.