Sign in to follow this  
nicksort

Which weather program are you using with 2.3

Used to use OpusFSX with FSX but now I use ASN for P3D: I like the options ASN has that OpusFSX lacks, like historic weather, which I use all the time and which btw is loaded automatically based on the date and time in the sim! 

OPUSfsx and OpusFSI  does that too. Its been feature provided for over a year now. ;)

ASN SP1 seems to have made flying above the clouds such a visually amazing experience. It looks so much more realistic now. No more tiled cloud look. I will have to verify this with more flights but I was really happy.

OPUSfsx and OpusFSI  does that too. Its been feature provided for over a year now. ;)

The automatic loading, you mean? Or 'real' historical weather?

Anyway, it's great to have options and it's also great there is competition because I honestly think ASN wouldn't have been as good as it is now if OpusFSX hadn't been there. And it's good to see OpusFSX getting better and better too because of ASN!  ^_^

Your discussion made me curious and I did a quick OpusFSX test. That's the benefit of a test version and I praise every provider offering this.

Ok, only a very short resume about my very quick look.

The user interface is much more difficult to understand and this already begins at the installation. Well, finally I got it run and connected with P3D v2 and could start a flight.

Very quick at KHQM first with OpusFSX and then the same with ASN.

I've to confess that I like ASN more but this is very subjective and others have other ideas.

Is it possible but I got a little bit better FPS with ASN? Is it because the clouds looked and were more dramatic with OpusFSX?

Result: OpusFSX demo version already deinstalled and everything is fine. I know now that I don't need a fourth weather engine for my P3D v2. ASN, AS2012 and REX HD OD is enough for me.

Spirit

It's a credit to the authors that all three weather engines (I don't have the REX 4 engine. As you said, 3 is enough. Actually 1 is enough, but I have acquired them over time.) do a great job in mimicking real weather. ASN seems to have the most "bells and whistles", but some of them go beyond the data available. For example, the available weather data is limited to 3 cloud layers, but ASN allows far more if you want them. ASN has weather radar which is quite handy. OpusFSI has the best maps and the best interface to TrackIR. It also supports Buttkicker and multiple custom camera views. It is also the only one that doesn't require a custom DLL (like ASN) or FSUIPC (like FSGRW). OPUSFSI has the best beta testing program and is updated almost every few days. FSGRW is just elegantly simple and accurate, like all of the other PILOTS! products.

To be honest, up until P3d 2.3, I pretty much have been using ASN exclusively. But with the performance issues that I've been experiencing lately with P3d 2.3, I've gone back to using the other two weather injectors

I use ASN + REX 4. No performance issues as of yet. I do however have trouble sometimes with ASN connecting to P3D, it could be an issue on my end though...

Another vote for ASN - no performance issues at all, and stability seems better with the 2.3 release + ASN update in terms of ASN communicating with P3D.

But it's only the last 24hrs no?

My understanding is that it does exactly as asn does. Simply place a check mark in the historical weather box, and load the Sim on the time and date you wish to fly, and opus does the rest.

It should also be noted that OPUSFSX is now outdated. It's new version is CALLED OPUSFSI

My understanding is that it does exactly as asn does. Simply place a check mark in the historical weather box, and load the Sim on the time and date you wish to fly, and opus does the rest.

That could be true but the site still says "Load historic weather from within the last 24 hours".

I tried a prior date from last month when it was raining... And it didn't seem to work :/

I am using FSXWX, it's free, and it does the job for me (using P3d 2.3). The only thing, make sure you have simconnect in the old FSX folder..this program however connects to SUIPC from P3D and correctly transfers/updates regularly the weather. It's a very small app, takes up 0 resources, I love it!

http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/home.htm

I use FSRealWX (latest version is still only RC1), if left unregistered (freeware) it's a nice weather injector for realtime weather in both FSX and P3D. It can connect to the flightsim via Simconnect, FSUIPC or both.

In my experience the weather it creates matches real world conditions pretty well.

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen