Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

DSR - WOW - Must See

At the P3D Appl forum have I read that :

8xS + 2x SGSS

=

4xS + DSR 2.0 with 33%  

With the same performance hit.

The only difference is that now one can set the smoothing.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

At the P3D Appl forum have I read that :

8xS + 2x SGSS

=

4xS + DSR 2.0 with 33%  

With the same performance hit.

The only difference is that now one can set the smoothing.

8xS + 2x SGSSA = 4x MSAA + 1x2 OGSSAA + 2x SGSSAA

4xS + DSR 2.0x = 2x MSAA + 1x2 OGSSAA + 2x OGSSAA

The second one should give you slightly better performance, but the first one gives you much more quality. OGSSAA (or downsampling, they're both the same) is more of a brute-force method while SGSSAA does the same for much less performance. Quality of 2x SGSSAA is comparable to 2x2 OGSSAA.

The second one should give you slightly better performance, but the first one gives you much more quality. OGSSAA (or downsampling, they're both the same) is more of a brute-force method while SGSSAA does the same for much less performance. Quality of 2x SGSSAA is comparable to 2x2 OGSSAA.

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. The difference between DSR and SSAA.

Using DSR can we consider to slow down in P3d AA to 2x, having an improvement in image quality, if this is true, or do you think to use the normal filter without DSR?

EDIT: what's OGSSAA?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Guys,

I have GTX760 with 2 monitors on windows 8.1 - I installed the driver by disabling driver signing on bootup, I see the DSR options, when I select the resolution 3840x2160, the desktop icons are same size but have the 50% smoothness applied so they just look fuzzy. Anyone else having similar issue?

EDIT: what's OGSSAA?

Ordered-Grid Super-Sampling Anti-Aliasing. You're getting essentially the same effect with downsampling or DSR.

Simply said :  all new stuff that appears to be what we already had...

What is the reason to use DSR then in the first place ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I see a stutter free smooth great looking sim

Result? Butter!

it is smoother than I ever thought possible..

Oh you guys make me very excited about trying this tweak. I've been off P3D for months now because of unplayable stuttering. 

However it does sound a bit tricky to install this notebook driver on my desktop card, I'm pretty sure I'm able to make quite a mess of this if I do it wrong.

Another thing: I play alot of other games as well, and since this is enabled in global settings it's gonna affect every program I have. I wonder if I should wait for this feature to be implemented in a proper desktop driver.

Choice.

I get far better results with this than the previous AA modes and native res I was using, and I don't want to use NI anymore. For me its great, but if you had the power to run SGAA etc then maybe less so.  DSR and smoothing = FTW on my PC... and the demand is obviously there for an easy to use method of downsampling or nV would not be bothering.

Use it, don't use, its that simple.

Another thing: I play alot of other games as well, and since this is enabled in global settings it's gonna affect every program I have. I wonder if I should wait for this feature to be implemented in a proper desktop driver.

Its not set Globally, but all applications including your desktop will have the new resolutions available, so only in that sense is it global. If you don't change the resolution to one of the DSR modes in your games, or desktop, nothing will change.

Simply said :  all new stuff that appears to be what we already had...

It simply makes downsampling easier and better. I don't know about you, but from what I've seen the majority of users cannot create a custom resolution higher than 3200x1800 without lowering the refresh rate or changing the timings. With DSR, it's guaranteed that you can downsample from twice your native resolution with the same refresh rate. There's also the improved downscaling filter that allows you to set the smoothness to your taste.

It's not SGSSAA, but I can't see why anyone would want to go back to traditional downsampling instead of DSR when it's clearly the superior method.

Use it, don't use, its that simple.

Exactly - I use both methods DSR and no DSR - its all good - options is not a bad thing

Rich Sennett

I stress again.

For the older cards that are not yet supported with official drivers, it's possible you may be creating an overheat issue within the GPU, by pushing them too far. If it were as easy as this thread makes it out to be, then NVIDIA guys must be fairly stupid, cause they said it's far more complicated, thus why they are delaying the drivers to work with older cards.

There should be a disclaimer in this thread for previous generation cards.

I stress again.

I don't think you need to. There are certainly no issues on Kepler/Maxwell cards, which is what this technique is designed for. I think people are quite capable of thinking for themselves; and with anything involving drivers, especially modded ones, its always at their own risk. However, as pointed out, this is not so different from applying certain AA modes, so the chance of killing your hardware is pretty low.

Quick heads up mark has posted an easy driver install for those having problems where to put inf file - here is his post and suggest you read it carefully and note Marks comment:

I accept not responsibility for any harm that may occur in using this driver.

=====================================================================

Original post

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/85724-dsr-for-kepler-now-working/page-3#entry785776

=======================================================================

Here is what he has stated:

I have put together a driver package with the modded inf. This is a striped bare package with ONLY the display driver, so PhysX, Geforce Experience, 3D etc. have been removed, to keep the file size small for hosting.

Unzip the package and open the folder. Click and Run 'Setup' ...after the System Check select the Custom (Advance) option Do not use 'Express (recommended)'... tick the 'Perform a clean installation' and click 'Next' to install the driver... during the install you may be asked whether you want to continue as the driver is not signed... agree and continue. Restart when prompted.

You will now have the two DSR options in the 'Global' section of the 'Manage 3D settings' section of the nVidia control panel.

I accept not responsibility for any harm that may occur in using this driver. I have tested it on my system only, and have no issues in any application I have tested... I have also not read of any major issues with others using this driver, with a modded inf. There will be an offical driver with DSR support for Kepler soon, so if you have any doubts, please wait for that release.

link to file - you as your own risk 

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8t51u3fv4hmdmba/344.24+-Modded+inf+for+DSR.7z

Rich Sennett

I tried this. I run a 650 TI Boost with 2 gig ram. Monitor is LG widescreen LCD TV that will only run computer graphics at 1360x768. Any other resolution and it will not accept signal.

DSR ran P3D fantastically at increased resolution (can't believe my monitor accepted it). My other sim that I run, rFactor 2 hard locked twice within a minute both times.

Went back to 344.11. Will gladly wait for the next drivers that enable this (officially) for cards other than what is officially supported now.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's