Sign in to follow this  
thannyd

744v2 variations

Boeing made some B777 combos for KLM as well... the small airline finds it easier to fill fewer seats and has ample cargo business.  I can't find it listed in places like Wikipedia but I read about it in a book about developing the B777.

Dan Downs KCRP

Me too!! I thought KLM was just sticking freighters on normal gates when I went to AMS haha! The more you know....

Lol that would be quite expensive for KLM.

Boeing made some B777 combos for KLM as well... the small airline finds it easier to fill fewer seats and has ample cargo business.  I can't find it listed in places like Wikipedia but I read about it in a book about developing the B777.

No they didn't. There isn't such a thing as a 777m, and due to new regulations there probably wont ever be a new aircraft type being offered as a combi.

sig1.png
sig2.png

You could be right and I might have the model confused with the B747 Combi, it's been over two years since I read the books that I was referring to yet I read both the B777 and B747 stories within a couple months.  Oh well.

Dan Downs KCRP

and due to new regulations there probably wont ever be a new aircraft type being offered as a combi.

New regulations?

Kyle Rodgers

New regulations?

Well not really new, but as far as I know they came after the 747-400 combi was developed, but i could be wrong.

sig1.png
sig2.png

Well not really new, but as far as I know they came after the 747-400 combi was developed, but i could be wrong.

What regulations, though? What's the language of them?

Kyle Rodgers

What regulations, though? What's the language of them?

You can dig further if you like, but here's a start:

After the accident, South African Airways discontinued use of the Combi and the Federal Aviation Administration introduced new regulations in 1993 specifying that manual fire fighting must not be the primary means of fire suppression in the cargo compartment of the main deck.[26][27] Complying with these new standards required weight increases, which made the 747 Combi economically unviable on some routes.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Awesome - thanks!

I cant find any official FAA documents about it right now on my phone, but there has been a change in regulations somewhere in the 90's. There's a couple of topics about it over at airliners.net, with people stating they wont be certified at all(which afaik is not true), only alowed with a fixed bulkhead, or only allowed when the cargo is transported in front of the passengers. However, no sources. I'll try to find anything official from the FAA tomorrow.

Edit:

This might help a bit:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/F216CB41A2C82E168625696F0071E803?OpenDocument&Highlight=93-07-15

The airworthiness directive the FAA issued after the SAA accident.

sig1.png
sig2.png

I'd be very interested to know if I can continue using my trusty Aerosoft MCP with the v2 747.,,, it's my favourite input device and really sets the realism off nicely when flying vectors in vatsim.

If anyone knows either way I'd be grateful.

As long as there's a -400 I'll be happy. I would personally love to see the -400ER but Qantas is the only airline that has them.

Count me in for this one as well- I've made the (unsupported) mod to add the two internal tanks when flying QF, but would love a variant that accounted for these in the FMS!

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."