Sign in to follow this  
chris1965

P3D v2.5 by the end of the year?

I heard some time ago that v2.5 may be out by the end of the year. Any news on this and what improvements might be made? I apologise if this has already been answered elsewhere..

Chris

It might happen but I suspect that the run on performance related issues may be finished for the time being.

I hope I am wrong :Big Grin:

Well, I hope that they acknowlede and quickly fix the awful vertical, razor thin, rotating clouds which  came up all over the place (I mean the sky :rolleyes: )  in 2.4. They were not in my V2.3 that I know  and certainly not in my FSX or FS9. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I hope it does come out soon. 2.3 and 2.4 are so crippled by visual artifacts, bugs and issues that they're practically unusable. What's worse - fixes that were promised for 2.4 didn't actually work or only partially fixed the issues.

A hotfix for 2.4 should have come out within weeks. I can only hope that the reason they're forcing us to wait for a functional version of P3D v2 is because they've decided to fix all outstanding issues once and for all. 2.5 will be the version that makes or breaks P3D.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Well, I hope that they acknowlede and quickly fix the awful vertical, razor thin, rotating clouds which  came up all over the place (I mean the sky :rolleyes: )  in 2.4. They were not in my V2.3 that I know  and certainly not in my FSX or FS9. 

I have noticed this too, after going back to P3d after a six month break.  It was one of my pet peeves with FSX

I hope it does come out soon. 2.3 and 2.4 are so crippled by visual artifacts, bugs and issues that they're practically unusable. What's worse - fixes that were promised for 2.4 didn't actually work or only partially fixed the issues.

A hotfix for 2.4 should have come out within weeks. I can only hope that the reason they're forcing us to wait for a functional version of P3D v2 is because they've decided to fix all outstanding issues once and for all. 2.5 will be the version that makes or breaks P3D.

The concept of usability is very subjective  :smile: ! I'd still rather use P3D. I tried FSX again yesterday and came back to P3D without any hesitation... That being said, I agree that the 2 or 3 most obvious (and aggravating) visual bugs need to be adressed quickly, once and for all. I don't care for anything else right now.

I have noticed this too, after going back to P3d after a six month break.  It was one of my pet peeves with FSX

Never saw anything like that in FSX !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I hope they'll take their time with this one. Prepar3D 2.x has plenty of bugs that really need to be addressed and 2.4 was a very lacklustre update. Plus, I have the feeling we are not going to see 2.6 and instead they'll shift their entire development towards 3.0.

Just curious, has LM said anything about P3D 3.0?

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Just curious, has LM said anything about P3D 3.0?

Not really, but they have said multiple times that a 64-bit version is in the roadmap, and it is presumed that it's going to be the next major version.

John Venema has mentioned Prepar3D 3.0 though.

Not really, but they have said multiple times that a 64-bit version is in the roadmap, and it is presumed that it's going to be the next major version.

Correction - it is presumed BY US - LM has only stated that 64bit is something they are considering - there has been NO mention of the NEXT major version. It will be a major version change for sure but I doubt that it will be the next one - unless you want to want for a few years for 3.0

I don't recall if LM said it was over a million LINES of code or a million PAGES - but either way it is a monumental task just converting the code. Then consider the debugging and attempting to maintain some compatibility with other products, etc. etc. -

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Correction - it is presumed BY US - LM has only stated that 64bit is something they are considering - there has been NO mention of the NEXT major version. It will be a major version change for sure but I doubt that it will be the next one - unless you want to want for a few years for 3.0

I don't recall if LM said it was over a million LINES of code or a million PAGES - but either way it is a monumental task just converting the code. Then consider the debugging and attempting to maintain some compatibility with other products, etc. etc. -

Vic

I'm not sure what you corrected in there. They have said that a 64-bit version is in the roadmap and that it will happen eventually. Of course they haven't mentioned the next major version, but since John Venema has and also talked about Orbx scenery compatibility with it, I don't think it would be completely wrong to assume that Prepar3D 3.0 will be the 64-bit version.

Of course things might turn out otherwise, but considering 64-bit will break compatibility with all add-ons anyway, it wouldn't be very logical for Lockheed Martin to make a 64-bit version of Prepar3D 2.x which deliberately includes very old code purely for compatibility reasons.

Well, it wouldn't be completely wrong to assume ANYTHING given that it is exactly that - an assumption.

I just think that assuming that the next major version will be 64bit is some mighty wishful thinking. Not that I wouldn't love it to be true but you know as well as I, when we start speculating that 3.0 will be 64 bit, the next step is that for sure 3.0 will be 64bit is spread throughout the forums and when it doesn't happen - we get the garbage posts about how LM doesn't care about us, etc. etc.

I think just stating that LM has said the they are looking at 64bit DOWN THE ROAD is enough and speculating that it may be the next major release is ingenuous.

I don't KNOW that it's NOT true and I wish it was but I do think it's a tad premature to expect it soon.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

V3.0 is as much on LM's roadmap as FS11 was on Microsoft's in 2007. It might happen.... or not.  Live and learn. And enjoy what you have :wink: .

Dominique

64 bit will do nothing but eliminate two things!

OOM's and backward compatibility.

2.3 and 2.4 are so crippled by visual artifacts, bugs and issues that they're practically unusable.

Maybe for you, but not for me.