Sign in to follow this  
temple187

Ok, now before everyone goes flaming at me on how PMDG isn't going to do a 767, I know. But here me out. According to my knowledge Level D and PMDG are friends. and while that 767 is really good, from the graphics point of view its really not that great. So maybe (with Level Ds permission of course) PMDG could possibly spruce up the vc and make some nice repaints? It's just a suggestion, and I'd like to think of peoples thoughts about this.

Regards,

A,Shul

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Knowing PMDG... They don't do half a job. If the 767 is on the table (and by extension, probably the 757), they'll do it themselves completely.

Knowing PMDG... They don't do half a job. If the 767 is on the table (and by extension, probably the 757), they'll do it themselves completely.

And from scratch....

If anyone has picked up a code project from someone else (and it's doesn't need to be crazy amounts of C, C++, Java, or any of that - it could even be HTML), you'll know that in many cases, it's a significant effort to pick apart their logic and the way in which they coded. Since it's a programming language, there are often different ways to write it to get it done. That means what you might write might be completely different from how they wrote it.

Whereas I'd write:

mean(c(1:10, NA), na.rm = TRUE)

Someone else could write:

mean(, TRUE, x = c(1:10, NA))

To accomplish the same thing. While that's a minor example, it's one of many (the above is R, by the way). If you think that, since even a single line could written differently, think of an entire aircraft (or even 50%) worth of code that you'd have to go through and parse through it to see how it all works, you might start thinking "nah, I'll just start over..."

So maybe (with Level Ds permission of course) PMDG could possibly spruce up the vc and make some nice repaints? It's just a suggestion, and I'd like to think of peoples thoughts about this.

Nothing to think about. If you've followed PMDG long enough to know how they operate you'll know they don't do spruce up jobs and things like that. That's not their business model, so no need to ponder or contemplate it.

If anything they would build the whole plane from scratch, but as they've mention before, a 767 is unlikely.

Jim Burke

I wonder if PMDG would consider buying out Level D, in what could be a mutually beneficial deal.

I'll go ahead and put on my flak jacket now.

I wonder if PMDG would consider buying out Level D, in what could be a mutually beneficial deal.

I'll go ahead and put on my flak jacket now.

Or even better combine forces

If you have a look at the names that are part of PMDG, you'll note that there are a few names who were formerly names attached to some well-known products.

If anyone has picked up a code project from someone else (and it's doesn't need to be crazy amounts of C, C++, Java, or any of that - it could even be HTML), you'll know that in many cases, it's a significant effort to pick apart their logic and the way in which they coded. Since it's a programming language, there are often different ways to write it to get it done. That means what you might write might be completely different from how they wrote it.

Whereas I'd write:

mean(c(1:10, NA), na.rm = TRUE)

Someone else could write:

mean(, TRUE, x = c(1:10, NA))

To accomplish the same thing. While that's a minor example, it's one of many (the above is R, by the way). If you think that, since even a single line could written differently, think of an entire aircraft (or even 50%) worth of code that you'd have to go through and parse through it to see how it all works, you might start thinking "nah, I'll just start over..."

Hey Kyle... what type of coding do you do in R? I use the R language daily for stats analyses. Pretty surprised to see R get mentioned here on AVSIM. But perhaps there is a larger following than I had originally suspected.

Hey Kyle... what type of coding do you do in R? I use the R language daily for stats analyses. Pretty surprised to see R get mentioned here on AVSIM. But perhaps there is a larger following than I had originally suspected.

I'm a big data person in my day job and with several side projects. One of my parents is a well-known DBA in the area as well, so I was instructed that I should learn some Hadoop along with R to be more marketable. I haven't done much practical with it yet, though.

I'm a big data person in my day job and with several side projects. One of my parents is a well-known DBA in the area as well, so I was instructed that I should learn some Hadoop along with R to be more marketable. I haven't done much practical with it yet, though.

Got it. I've heard of Hadoop being mentioned before, but I haven't yet gotten around to learning that, or any of the other side-packages (another one called Shiny). I've picked up R in an effort to move away from SPSS,

Got it. I've heard of Hadoop being mentioned before, but I haven't yet gotten around to learning that, or any of the other side-packages (another one called Shiny). I've picked up R in an effort to move away from SPSS,

Unless you have distributed data across various servers, it's not gonna get you too much. It all depends on what you're trying to do. I like R a lot more than I did SPSS (then again, I was forced to learn SPSS at university, so that might have something to do with it...haha).

Didn't LevelD fold up and is no longer in business?  Their web site was not updated since the Triassic period. But I still fly the LD767 and love it.

Some of their developers post the occasional "we're working on it." in these forums.

Hence, I'd assume they're still in business, just working at a glacier's pace.

I banned it out of my fleet so to say as it was a big trouble maker on my system! There were so many corrupted files detected all the times and some other flaws and I was fed up some day....sorry systems wise it's a good one but the rest

is very outdated  :Worried: