Sign in to follow this  
sd75lover

DTG and current users

I am currently not a fan of steam or will be, so what does this mean for us current users of fsx, will be we be left out?

so what does this mean for us current users of fsx

Absolutely nothing.

SO US CURRENT USERS OF FSX WILL GET AN CORE UPDATE?

I highly doubt that. The "core update" you speak of would have to be updated through Steam. Since your current install was performed from a disk, it would not be compatible. Steam apps live in a "steamapps" folder. The install path is different than your FSX disk install.

SO US CURRENT USERS OF FSX WILL GET AN CORE UPDATE?

No, not a single thing.

sorry so people who buy the game will get free updates while people with the original disk version will not?

sorry so people who buy the game will get free updates while people with the original disk version will not?

Dovetail isn't allowed to make any major changes to the Steam edition of FSX, only what is need to get it running on Steam. They have commented that they may get a couple small fixes in, but we'll have to wait and see if they actually do. Any big simulator changes will come in whatever new sim they release next year under their own brand, which could be based on FSX, Flight or maybe even the ESP code. All they have said is they will be releasing something new using Microsoft flight simulator technology.

I quite like that... A dawning of a new age with the re-distribution (that's all it is) of an 8 year old game!

No core updates, no changes, (apart from networking), no other fixes. Nothing else!!

It is ONLY a re-distribution deal, nothing else.

As far as their own sim that they say will be based on Microsoft's flight (not Flight!) technology.. it could be anything using engines from FS9, Combat Flifgt Sim or even Flight!. They are not allowed to modify FSX, so no change there. ESP was the Professional  version of FSX, now licensed to Lockheed Martin, so, I really do not think that a gaming distributor will get that.

Free updates for an 8 year old program? lol. No.

How will all this affect us that still have FSX? It will not!.

The thought of adding in all those add-ons we have that now have to be adjusted for FSX-Steam is enough to manke my piles throb!

Fsuipc, etc, etc.. The developers are gonna have a lot of headaches sorting out this mess, as I'm sure there will be problems if FSX Steam is installed in it's own Dovetail directory & the majority of decent installers look for FSX registry entries..

But, we will see..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

The developers are gonna have a lot of headaches sorting out this mess, as I'm sure there will be problems if FSX Steam is installed in it's own Dovetail directory & the majority of decent installers look for FSX registry entries..

Perhaps one could download the FSX Registry Repair Tool and add the necessary registry entries? The Steam library is not some encrypted folder that the user is locked out of.

if FSX Steam is installed in it's own Dovetail directory & the majority of decent installers look for FSX registry entries..

For FSX to work properly it will still have to be installed by Steam which will create the registry entry pointed to the correct install location.

This will be no different than installing from discs to a non-default location.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Perhaps one could download the FSX Registry Repair Tool and add the necessary registry entries? The Steam library is not some encrypted folder that the user is locked out of.

Most boxed or non steam games can be added to Steam by you.

I am currently not a fan of steam

Just wondering what you don't like about Steam?