Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

PMDG products and Steam

I wish PMDG et al. would have won that bid. 

So do I !!!

Stefan Keller
ngxu_banner.png                 

ugcx_banner.png

Oh well back to looking at longer term with either x plane or P3D although version 2 of the latter will seemingly stretch some systems too far at the moment.

Martin Madden

I just looked at P3D as i've been away from FSX for a while and wondered what it was, it seems a bit pricey to me.

It must be a mistake but i can say i'm looking forward to resurecting my old 747 and 737 for the Steam updated version when PMDG manages to suss out what's going on.

Si.

It must be a mistake but i can say i'm looking forward to resurecting my old 747 and 737 for the Steam updated version when PMDG manages to suss out what's going on.

Half joke, and half a way to get it prepped in the store without someone trying to buy it.

Kyle Rodgers

Half joke, and half a way to get it prepped in the store without someone trying to buy it.

Ahh i see, thanks for the heads up Kyle, actually i've just noticed a mistake on my part with spelling on my previous post. (I will edit Managed to Manages. :blush: )

Si.

Actually i don't have permission to edit my previous post, oh well never mind.

Dovetail and PMDG (in partnership with a few others in the FSX development community) were competitors in the bid to purchase the rights to the FSX code- and Dovetail won.

That's very disappointing, it would have been better for the community had the result being different.  

Ian R Tyldesley

Ian-

I agree.  I am quite concerned about the long term side of the FSX franchise under it's current stewardship.  It wound up in the hands of a group that is primarily interested in profit and return on investment for their investors.

The group with which we partnered was far more interested in the growth of the community, and the sustainability of the freeware and third party community.

While the initial FSX release will allow for continued freeware and third party work- one need only look to the utter collapse of what was once a robust developer community surrounding trainsim to see the future.

May I be wrong?  I hope so...  but I am also benefiting from experience here...

Either way- not to fear.  PMDG will be strongly supporting development in FSX as long as it is viable, P3D and Xplane.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

PMDG will be strongly supporting development in FSX as long as it is viable, P3D and Xplane.

The danger is that it's leaving us with nowhere to go.  I love FSX, but your 777 proved (to me at least) that as a platform it's had it's day.  The 777 is a masterpiece, but it's almost unusable in add-on scenery, i still struggle to fly from UK2000 EGLL v3 to RPLL without the VAS warning popping up.

We all know the issues surrounding P3D.  X-Plane...well i've downloaded the demo twice now, it's just so unfriendly missing even basic features FSX had.  I might have to stick with DCS

Ian R Tyldesley

I must admit i stopped playing FSX in the discarded Microsoft version one day when my PMDG 747 version was just jumping on the runway with all the addons i had installed from various developers plus fixes which were passionately put together by the community and it really put me off trying to get FSX working again until now.

DTG have said as quoted from the New Steam FSX Forum.

Originally posted by DTG_Admin:

"The issue is largely down to the age of FSX. Since official development on the simulator stopped quite a few years ago it has been adopted by the community with dedicated groups and individuals keeping it somehow moving forwards. Effectively FSX has evolved down many paths from its last official update.

In FSX: Steam Edition we've gone back to that last update point and used that as the starting point, since it's the only common ancestor every current FSX owner has. The upshot is that some add-ons will have inevitably used workarounds or methods that are incompatible with the reworked core, hence their no working correctly with FSX: Steam Edition.

We gain nothing from this turn of events; it is our hope that as many add-on teams as possible can modify some of the great work they've done in order for it to work with FSX: Steam Edition, but when it comes down to it that's their decision to make.

- Sam"

To me DTG have taken a broken flight sim and tried to start from the last update provided by Microsoft and attempted to take the sim a step further in development.  I am truly hoping PMDG will be able to work a compromise with DTG to making FSX worth playing for me as without PMDG, FSX is not worth the aggravation.

Full respect intended.

Si.

I am quite concerned about the long term side of the FSX franchise under it's current stewardship. It wound up in the hands of a group that is primarily interested in profit and return on investment for their investors.

I'm confused now. Isn't this what every developer/publisher attempts to achieve?

Heck, that was also MS's goal and look how successful the FS franchise became. I don't see anything wrong with Dovetail trying to recoup their investment in FSX.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

X-Plane is the future! Yay. I'm excited.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

It might lag a bit after that too- since our primary focus right now is the 777 release for P3D and the 744v2.0....

Wow didnt see that coming - very good news

Rich Sennett

Wow didnt see that coming - very good news

Next year Rich!  That's my bold prediction :lol:

Chris Sunseri

Next year Rich!  That's my bold prediction :lol:

There you go Chris - definitely not this year - sure bet on that one  :BigGrin: 

Rich Sennett

I'm confused now. Isn't this what every developer/publisher attempts to achieve?

Heck, that was also MS's goal and look how successful the FS franchise became. I don't see anything wrong with Dovetail trying to recoup their investment in FSX.

Totally agree, why would any add on company turn down new customers even if DTG take a small slice of the profits it just does`nt make sense.

No disrespect PMDG, I would love to see my trip7 work in the steam version even although I have a very solid FSX install just now.  Why because I like steam for convenience of purchases and install of software.   I never touched PC Gaming until about a year ago, yet I`ve been a flightsimmer for over 15 years but was always a console gamer.  Soon as I learned about Steam I never looked back, my PS3 lies redundant.   I`d love to be able to fire up steam, look at a huge add on list for sale and purchase something every week or so instead of having multiple accounts over various flightsim stores.

It does not make any business sense for an add on developer not to support the influx of customers that will be joining our large but often stuck in our ways community.

Doogie