Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

PMDG products and Steam

Hi guys, my friend is new to the flight sim world and just got the FSX steam edition. I am guiding him through the steps of becoming an avid flight simmer and of course am compelling him to get a PMDG aircraft. If he has ONLY the FSX SE, should he be able to buy and install the 777 with no problem?

Mark Javornik

Hi guys, my friend is new to the flight sim world and just got the FSX steam edition. I am guiding him through the steps of becoming an avid flight simmer and of course am compelling him to get a PMDG aircraft. If he has ONLY the FSX SE, should he be able to buy and install the 777 with no problem?

We honestly do not know yet. We are still "Day 1" release. This is a new environment and stuff may change on how PMDG Products will be sold in the near future. I cannot say anything for anyone, but please be patient.

Taylor Broad

Well PMDG 777 doesn't work for me under Steam Edition.

I was able to install and can load aircraft but can't click anything and lcds just blank.

Dropping in with my PIREP...

The 777 installs just fine but does not initialize. Everything's blank, no audio, and the plane has no gears or anything.

The game itself seems to run better for me though.

Why did you expect it to work anyway? Give them time to do whatever they need to do to make it work...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm glad to see FSX on steam, this marks the start of the rebirth of the FS franchise

However i'm also upset to hear that the talk between PMDG and Dovetail has not been going well. Friendly cooperation between these parties are important for the future of FS.

I hope there would be more good news in the future

Gents-

We have been in conversation with Dovetail about whether or not we will support their Steam release by pushing PMDG products via their Steam channel, but we have not yet reached agreement with them on the topic, and it is unlikely we will do so soon.

Since we did not agree to give (word chosen intentionally) them our products for inclusion in their steam channel, we have not been given beta/testing/advance copies of their product- and thus we do not know anything about compatibility with our products.

At this point compatibility between our products and the steam version of FSX is purely at your own risk until we have an opportunity to evaluate and determine how best to support this new version.

If you would like to know more- or have questions for PMDG-stay tuned.

I want to be very cautious and not give you the impression that PMDG and Dovetail are engaged in some struggle- as this is not the case.

Dovetail and PMDG (in partnership with a few others in the FSX development community) were competitors in the bid to purchase the rights to the FSX code- and Dovetail won.  They have been gracious with us- and invited us to participate in their steam channel- but at economic terms that make it very hard to justify for the type of products we produce.

Dovetail has made what we think is the correct choice with this early release by allowing access to it for outside developers like PMDG- but in order to fully support it with our existing products, we will have to rebuild our installation processes to accomodate the changes- and this is going to take us time and testing.

There has been none of the communication that we would normally have expected from a major publisher to allow us preparation time in order to adequately support our mutual customers who wish to use PMDG products with the new steam version of FSX- but this is likely due to the rush to make the marketing deadline- and as such all of us will have to adapt on the fly.

While it would have been nice to have a beta/advance copy so that we could simply roll out installation updates to you all in concert with Dovetail's release- that didn't happen so we will have to address it sometime after the holidays are over....

It might lag a bit after that too- since our primary focus right now is the 777 release for P3D and the 744v2.0....

We will look things over and report back...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Dovetail and PMDG (in partnership with a few others in the FSX development community) were competitors in the bid to purchase the rights to the FSX code- and Dovetail won. They have been gracious with us- and invited us to participate in their steam channel- but at economic terms that make it very hard to justify for the type of products we produce.

It's been interesting reading all of the news about FSX SE today. I have not made any comments concerning the matter, but this bit of news is interesting. With all the speculation that Dovetails is only allowed to redistribute FSX SE, and is not allowed to make improvements to the code, I wonder why would FSX developers be interested in gaining the "rights" to it? Does this mean at some point PMDG was considering getting into the business of distribution of FSX? Or does this mean that PMDG had a chance to make changes to the FSX code similar to the updates that are released on P3D?

Well PMDG 777 doesn't work for me under Steam Edition.

I was able to install and can load aircraft but can't click anything and lcds just blank.

Dropping in with my PIREP...

The 777 installs just fine but does not initialize. Everything's blank, no audio, and the plane has no gears or anything.

The game itself seems to run better for me though

For people who are not having success installing PMDG aircraft, I have two questions:

1)  Is your install of the Steam version on a separate machine from regular FSX?  The reason for this question is that from earlier posts it appears that  Steam writes the same directories as MS FSX if FSX is not installed on that machine, but different ones if MS FSX is installed on the same machine.  So I'm wondering if the problem is that the PMDG installers don't find the correct installation paths when installation is on a machine that already has FSX.

2)  Which PMDG aircraft have you tried to install?  Maybe some work better than others?

Thank you very much.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Following this topic for sure

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

The current edition of PC Pilot (18 Dec ) has an interview between editor Derek Davis and Dovetail. My interpretation on Dovetail's answers is at best vague insofar as support for existing FSX owners and existing addons. They even suggested you might need two computers if my understanding is correct. I am very unimpressed so far. Oh well back to looking at longer term with either x plane or P3D although version 2 of the latter will seemingly stretch some systems too far at the moment.

Martin Madden