Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

Forgot about the community enforced speech code of fluff and assumption before fact, my bad.

Funny how things work out.

Tune to Froogle's live stream, he's checking out FSX:SE.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

You can install Orbx products directly into FSX:SE as long as it is installed after the original FSX. Dovetail uses the exact same Windows Registry key for the root FSX folder location, so all our addons install fine.

Thanks for the update!

Can you shed any light on the fsx.cfg location? is it (and dll.xml) still AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX ?

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Thanks for the feedback guys, disappointed that they've removed the option to connect directly as it prevents both versions of fsx from flying together.

However, if users are having to validate via a steam logon and can be banned from a hosting server then I can see a benefit in just using steam multiplayer. Something that was always a problem with gamespy/direct connect.

IVAO/Vatsim I expect work fine as they really use the client in single player mode and inject other players with simconnect.

Very interesting! I went ahead and purchased it just to say I did. Watching FrooglePete on Twitch diving into it now, attempting to install PMDG 777. 

Of course if you have legacy FSX also installed on the same PC, I can't speak to that situation since I've only tested on a virgin PC with a virgin FSX:SE install.

John, please check your PM for some thoughts on this potential time-bomb of using the same Registry key's SetupPath info...

...for those who do have both FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed on the same machine...

If installing FSX:SE rewrites the existing key, then the user won't be able to choose which version to which they wish to send the install! :wacko:

Thanks for the update!

Can you shed any light on the fsx.cfg location? is it (and dll.xml) still AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX ?

Yes it is precisely the same, and this has the potential for real problems if a user has both FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed on the same computer...

C:\Users\Bill Leaming\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I had one to many beers and bought it! :Cry:

Anyone interested in a used Boxed FSX :lol:

I case anyone didn't notice that $5 deal end in

about 44 hours from now. So if you going to get it

get it before then. otherwise its $28

$5 lolwut.

Yes please.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

John, please check your PM for some thoughts on this potential time-bomb of using the same Registry key's SetupPath info...

...for those who do have both FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed on the same machine...

If installing FSX:SE rewrites the existing key, then the user won't be able to choose which version to which they wish to send the install! :wacko:

Yes it is precisely the same, and this has the potential for real problems if a user has both FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed on the same computer...

Surely that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to install both versions???!!!

If anything, I think I bought the thing just for convenience. Still wary of addon stability etc. But at least I'll have it when we know what is and what isn't supported. 

Surely that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to install both versions???!!!

One would think... However, there are people streaming as we type with both installations on their rigs. Very confusing...

Thanks very much for the update, Bill. Definitely something to keep in mind if you're dual installing.

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Thanks very much for the update, Bill. Definitely something to keep in mind if you're dual installing.

There seems to be 2 directories. An "FSX" folder, and then a "FSX_SE" folder. More specifically, there appears to be a "FSX.cfg" in the "FSX" directory, and a "FSX_SE.cfg" in the "FSX_SE" directory. 

Oh oh, Bill that means a new or second computer and not a separate HD may be the only way to have both.  Guess will need to just take a deep breathe and let the dust settle down a bit before trying to install the Steam FSX.  

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

OMG we can buy 10 year old software that was heavily bugged on release which got never fixed for only 5dollar.

Omg it`s like Oh My God.

(Logical people would complain it`s not going for 1dollar (or less), where that 1dollar should be going to the "simmers-in-need-foundation")

The only thing more ridiculous are the steamreviews that state "it got fixed, it`s so much better now".

To burst some of your bubbles, ehhh "NO It Isn`t"

Of course it is 5e! To attract people because Dovetail has genius plan to sell bunch of addon planes via steam store for 5-10-15e. Exactly same strategy as with Train Simulator.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.