Sign in to follow this  
Falcon164

Can't get Prepar3D v2.4 to run at all

Prepar3D v2.4 was installed and registration completed with no problem.
On running the splash screen displays for a while then nothing. It was uninstalled then reinstalled.
Still the same. FSX runs fine.
System
Intel i5 4690k 3.5GHz 4 core
Asus z97k motherboard
Asus GeForce GTX 760 graphic card
Windows 8.1 pro
8gb memory
2tb hard drive

Can't see anything in the event viewer. Multiple restarts don't help I'm afraid.

Prepar3d is shown in the task manager processes tab until the splash screen disappears.

Hello Falcon,

A couple of Quick Questions - Did You Run the installer as Administrator ?? Have You tried Installing it Outside of the Program Files Folders ?? - Was There Anti virus or any other Programs running at the time of  Installation ?? - Have You tried Running the

" *.exe " from within the P3D directory ?? - Just Trying to think of Possibilitys - Good Luck - You'll Love It when You get'er Going !! 

Johnman

Hello Falcon,

Having Read this Fourm for a while - these are things that have come up that have messed up an installation - if and or when You decide to Re Install - You may want to consider 4 Yes's - especially shutting down the antivirus - for the Installation ! - And Just Make SURE You have FUN doing it !!

Johnman

I have that problem.

I went into: Users/name/App Data/Local/Lockheed Martin/Local/Prepar3d v2/ I renamed the Prepar3d file. Then Users/name/App Data/Lockheed Martin/Roaming/Prepar3D v2. I renamed the Prepar3d V2 file. I restarted Prepar3D. It started ok after it rebuilt the files.  

splash screen displays for a while then nothing.

If you mean a black screen with nothing going on be aware P3D uses a full screen Window technique.  Hit keys Alt + Enter and you may end up viewing P3D after all.  :rolleyes:

To stop this occurring in future place a tick in the box against Back-out Desktop and also against Mipmap VC Panels both under Options/Settings/Display/Graphics.

All the best.

If you have any FSDT scenery, download and run the latest Addon Manager.  See AVSIM CTD Guide for more suggestions.

Best regards,

Don't have FSDT scenery. Not a black screen after the splash screen but the normal desktop.

Users/name/App Data/Local/Lockheed Martin/Local/Prepar3d v2/ is not present.

Users/name/App Data/Lockheed Martin/Roaming/Prepar3D v2 does exist. Renaming the Prepar3d V2 file cfg file does not solve the problem.

Windows 8.1 compatibiliy troubleshooter says incompatible program but no difference running in any other O.S. mode.

After firstly uninstalling P3D (see pinned topic ... and delete ANY folder/file left behind,) re-download the app from Lockheed Martin turning off all anti-virus/malware and firewall programs.  Make sure UAC is disabled as well as Windows Firewall.

Install as Administrator.  Not sure, but possibly run under Win 7 Compatibility mode.  Others will chime in here.

Have fun.   B)

Don't install in the standard program folder (program files (x86)) and it's no need to run in Windows 7 compatibilty mode. I never had problems with Windows 8, 8.1 and even not now in Windows 10. Always run P3Dv2 in administrator mode.

Spirit

Hey Falcon,

Sounds LIke You are going to be Busey - Good Luck - Let Us know how You make Out !

Johnman

Prepar3D v2.4 was installed and registration completed with no problem.

On running the splash screen displays for a while then nothing. It was uninstalled then reinstalled.

Still the same. FSX runs fine.

System

Intel i5 4690k 3.5GHz 4 core

Asus z97k motherboard

Asus GeForce GTX 760 graphic card

Windows 8.1 pro

8gb memory

2tb hard drive

Hi Falcon,

How long did you wait at the splash screen? First run can take significantly longer to load as the scenery indexes, etc. have to be built. Also the shaders have to be compiled so you could be looking at a blank window for a while before the image pops into view and the contents are placed.

Regards,

Mike

Splash sreen only displays for about 8 second then normal desktop displays.Tried reinstall as administrator with anti-virus software off, UAC off.

Reinstall not in programs (x86) folder. Still no difference.

Can't download with anti-virus and firewall off as the download takes over 15 hours at our broadband speed.

Based on what Spirit_66 posts I am surprised that when I run Windows 8.1 compatibiliy troubleshooter it gives me the message - incompatible program.

Hello Falcon164,

When was the last time You did a really GOOD HD CleanUp ?? - virus Scan - Malware Scan - Temp Files Clean out - Caches Cleared - Delete all Cookies - and a Defrag - Maybe twice !!

Have You tried the P3D forum - I don't think they even recomend Win 8 .

Also - when the Flash Screen Goes back to Desktop - Check The Task Manager for a Lockheed or P3D Process that is working in the background to finnish up - before continuing the boot . Do You have a way to Monitor Individual  Core Usage - See if there's anything going on there ?

I see nothing wrong with Your computer - that would keep You from running P3D at some level - Possibility of a corrupted Loader - or maybe an Issue with Win 8 ??

You need to stop Kicking around the Hangar - and get in the AIR - Have some FUN !!   :lol:  B) 

Johnman 

Had no reply from the P3D forum. Posted over 2 weeks ago. P3D disappears from the task manager when the splash screen disappears. Have downloaded again and reinstalled. Still the same.

Glad FSX works fine. Can't believe an old program works but a new one does not. Very fed up now as I purchased it in November. I did not expect a troubleshooting job with the program.

I still appreciate all the advice even though I can't get it to run.

Did you say you DID reinstall OUTSIDE of the default folder?

I don't want to start a war here but REALLY look closely at Norton. It has a way of putting hooks into your system that can drive you crazy until you disable them.

I know it will be a PITA but, if you can, completely disable or, even better, completely uninstall Norton and test.

Start your system and wait a few minutes before you load P3D.

If you haven't, disable ALL unnecessary programs/processes in task manager prior to running. Perhaps a bg process is interfering.

Vic

"Had no reply from the P3D forum. Posted over 2 weeks ago."
Go back to your original post and bump it back up and ask about no replies ... that's not right to get no replies!

On your last download .. was the checksum correct?

Your Event Viewer should show something.

Maybe you are looking in the wrong area of the viewer.

Get the problem to happen .. note the time .. have another look in the event viewer .. post a screenhot of what you see.

Tried with the timing and multiple runs of P3D. Still can't see anything in the event viewer.

Which area do you suggest as I have looked in many areas and tried to search events for P3D?

Only found notes of successful installs and uninstalls.

Stopped loads of processes in task manager incuding Norton. Still no luck.

Reposted in P3D forum, now getting replies - thanks.

On your last download .. was the checksum correct?

"Reposted in P3D forum, now getting replies - thanks."

Give a link to your first post on this in P3D forum ... I did not see it

Thanks for confirming I was looking in the correct place.

Surprisingly nothing in here at all, not even warnings.

You should be looking under Administrative Events. This is a summary of all of the Window Log Events. See AVSIM CTD Guide.

Go to the main P3DV2 Folder and right click p3d.exe and select properties. Under compatibility, make sure the "run this program in compatibility mode for" is not checked and none of the Settings are checked. Do make sure the Privilege Level indicates "run this program as an Administrator". Click on OK.

Right click the P3d main folder and select Properties. Under the sharing tab, make sure the folder is shared. Under the Security tab, make sure everyone has all of the permissions.

Best regards,