Sign in to follow this  
FLighT01

GTN 750/650

All is not lost with the 650 though - you can display four other values that you can't in the 750 (total of 8)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Those are all US prices, and my whole post was about the additional costs of getting the DVDs sent to Europe.......  so a bit confused :smile:

I see, went back and re-read yourt post. 80 euros converts to about $97 US - 3 times what I paid ($33 with shipping). And thats just to get 1 file, apparently, from that disc. And that probably doesn't include shipping.

Is it a markup issue or a conversion issue, dollar versus euro?

I went back a few pages on the F1 GTN forum, somebody in the UK indicated they purchased the disc locally back on Dec 20 for 17 pounds. Currently that's $25.77 US,

Frank L.T

I was leaning to getting the 750.. but it will not read/load fsx .pln  flight plan files. How does one make a flight plan outside of the sim for 750?

All is not lost with the 650 though - you can display four other values that you can't in the 750 (total of 8)

Good point Ryan and I did exactly that on the flight I just finished.

Well I finally got the h*ll out of Saginaw, been flying around there locally because the winds aloft have been so bad heading west for a week. Wasn't any better today but since I had new toys to play with I didn't feel so bad about the lousy ground speeds. Made it to Cedar Rapids in about 2 1/2 hrs and the goal I guess is home at 65S eventually and then probably west and north through PNW, PFJ, and SAK maybe.

Here's a shot in "homesick angel mode" climbing out of Saginaw:

kmbs_kcid02.jpg

And one of the panel (don't look at the VFR squawk code, oops lol):

kmbs_kcid01.jpg

I'm loving these GTN units, Garmin should be completely stoked with what Flight1 did here. What a great way for a pilot to familiarize with these things! I can definitely see what all the hoopla is about. It was about $40 bucks an hour to familiarize yourself with VOR navigation back when I did my training, I guess there were simulators back then but we're talking sublogic on the Tandy and I didn't get into FS as we know it at all until FS2002. If I could have sat down in front of a PC back in '80 and did what I just did an hour ago I'd have felt like I was flying the space shuttle!

Man, reading this thread is nothing but temptation. I was waiting to get the GTN750, but 3 pages of talk about it drove me nuts and I ordered it earlier today. I should have stayed away from here.

It's a beautiful unit, I am amazed at the features. The airways and keyboard are a breathe of fresh air. I use a tablet for charts, but it's faster to find them on the GTN and doesn't kill the immersion. It's got every little bell and whistle. It's almost a little too slick. I kinda miss the GNS a little. It'd be nice to have some liveries with the new GPS and some with the old one. I'm not complaining though. It sure is cutting edge. 

Saginaw, MI? I'm in Duluth and it's coooold!!!

See I've only got the gtn 750 for P3D so I'm excited for that version. Still I've not been getting great perf in p3d so the thought of buying the unit for FSX has crossed my mind.

Ethan consider the GTN on a tablet - I think some guys are doing it not sure how though

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ethan consider the GTN on a tablet - I think some guys are doing it not sure how though

That's a good idea, I'll keep it in mind. Only issue is my tablet isn't the greatest, and not too fast, it can barely keep up with my PDF files. The simulated GTN can zoom in and move the charts around faster than my tablet can.   

I was leaning to getting the 750.. but it will not read/load fsx .pln  flight plan files. How does one make a flight plan outside of the sim for 750?

You can make a flight plan any way you want, but you will have to enter it into the GTN by hand.  You can save it and re-use it.. but no, it will not read FSX flight plans.

Bert

You can make a flight plan any way you want, but you will have to enter it into the GTN by hand.  You can save it and re-use it.. but no, it will not read FSX flight plans.

This did put me a off a little at first (as sometimes when time is tight, I do like to take advantage of GPS's that will load the FSX Flight plan ......... but....

... in reality, entering any flight plan into the '750 is super fast!  I mean really nothing like 'scroll knob' entry.  You are just clicking quickly and intuitively on to the alphanumeric screen of the unit.  

Entering, say, a 10 waypoint flight plan into the '750 takes about a minute.   (entering the same into a RXP430/530 would take 4x that I'd say).

Ryan,

"Still I've not been getting great perf in p3d so the thought of buying the unit for FSX has crossed my mind."

You really should do it! Today......, just do it.

I am only testing P3D 2.4 and Xplane 10.31 so only have a few aircraft for those ..... No 3rd party Garmins.

I may add the second unit (GTN650) for FSX Duke V2 Turbine after crossfill is available. Laking is the up to date Navdata database.  It would be nice if Garmin updated theie GTN Trainer Navdata to say DEC 2014!

Have you tried the two 750 setup in another aircraft yet?

Duke-two-GTN7504_zpsdce54d6d.jpg

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Manually entering the flight plans is a great thing because it allows you to adjust your flight plan on the fly. Say there is bad weather along part of your route, or headwinds force you to go to an alternate, you need to be able to adjust your plan.   Like Ryan, I avoid using default GPS and flight plans whenever possible, default flight plans aren't very realistic.

For GA RXP/non FMS trips, I use Skyvector to plan and build the route.  Here is the thing, you don't have to include every single intersection along the way(as far as the GPS is concerned), only those that are course changes, so for a typical GA trip you actually don't have that many waypoints. If ATC wants you to report crossing an intersection, you can always enter it in on the fly.  So while on the ground, if the airport has a published DP, just plug in that, otherwise enter the first few waypoints, then enter the rest of your plan enroute.  If you are really in a hurry, depart VFR or with VORs, and enter the flight plan along the way.  

Unless you are a scheduled air carrier or have a virtually 'legal' need to enter entire flight plans before departure, there is no need to spend 40 mins on the ground entering waypoints on the ground burning fuel while you enter your entire plan.

Fly however it makes you happy, but if you want developers to make you ultra realistic planes, using some realistic methods to fly and navigate them goes a long way. :)

Cheers

TJ

Manually entering the flight plans is a great thing because it allows you to adjust your flight plan on the fly. S

I dont mind that, I do it allot in the f1 B200.. but...  it sucks to draw up a flight plan, only to "re-enter" it by hand when I got the whole thing saved right there on the same computer. In RW, I'd have the SD card with the flight plan, and load it on the plane.

No biggie. I'm sure sooner or later someone will support it.

Thanks Jim - I was so excited I went out and bought the F! 750 GPN.  While it installed and I can see it on the panel it can't be turned on.  

Any Ideas?

Thanks

jja

WOW...I used to have a Radio Shack computer (Tandy I believe it was) and reading that brought back some great memories.  Sorry to get off topic but reading that got me all nostalgic.  Great thread though...very good reading.

I recently bought the F1 GTN 750 and it is an absolute joy to use in the a2a 182.  I was just doing some bush flying in BC last night and the terrain awareness feature is outstanding.  I'm really looking forward to using it with the Turbine Duke when it's released for P3D.

Hey - just wondering how you went about your install.  I can't get the 750 to work in the Turbine Duke v2 even though I see it on the panel.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

"Hey - just wondering how you went about your install.  I can't get the 750 to work in the Turbine Duke v2 even though I see it on the panel."

Did you install it with the Dukes Configuration software?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW