Sign in to follow this  
FLighT01

GTN 750/650

Yes absolutely Glenn, I can't detect any FPS loss whatsoever between using the GTN-equipped models, and those that use standard FS GPS.    

That's in the RA T-Duke, the A2A 182, the Flysimware C441 and the Milviz C310R.

I can confirm the above. I picked up the 750 some months ago and see no performance hit whatsoever. Its a great piece of kit and I highly recommend it. In fact I should have got this a long, long time ago.

Hirdy

RXP is old and clunky now and I strongly urge anyone who is sitting on the fence regarding the purchase of a touch screen to consider buying just for the GTN. Its touch is smooth as silk and you can now buy infra red touch screens to slap over the top of your second monitor.

+100....the GTN units on a second touch screen has been a game changer for me. I just plain love it!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I purchsed the T-Duke upgrade on Jan 1, the GTN 750 on Jan 5. Aside from a steep learning curve (for me personally) with the GTN I was amazed by:

1. How little, if any, impact its had and I'm running 2 side by side in the T-Duke.

2. How easy everything is to read.

3. The amazing wealth of information available from the units.

4. The RA config app made installing the 750 easy and idiot proof.

All this GTN praise is really making me consider buying it. However I wonder how much of this awesomeness are we missing when flying outside US (as I usually do)? Is it still worth it without buying those (pricy?) official Garmin-DVD's for global coverage?

I set out to buy the GTN setup but the garmin trainer download at 1.4 Gb turned out to be the stumbling block for me and my lousy internet connection so I see you can order the DVD for something like $25 USD which apparently most folks purchase simply because it has worldwide terrain data rather than being limited to only NA.

My question is if I buy the DVD does that include the garmin trainer and therefore negate the need to download the 1.4 Gb file? So could I order the DVD from Garmin and when it arrives purchase the GTN unit, download the 14 Mb file, install everything and fly?

I'd ask this Flight1 support question on the Flight1 support forum but it seems you can't gain access to it without a serial code from the actual purchase of the GTN gauges. Seems flawed logic to me but...

"My question is if I buy the DVD does that include the garmin trainer and therefore negate the need to download the 1.4 Gb file?"

The download is the "Trainer Lite" version .. the one you need for F1 GTNs.

The CD is a Full Version ... not meant for the F1 GTN ... as I read on the F1 GTN forum ...

The CD I believe is only used for World wide Terrain coverage by F1 GTN.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Thank you Vaughan, I guess I'll hold off until my bandwidth allotment renews and then on some night during the wee hours when the sky is clear and Jupiter aligns with Mars I'll attempt to download the 1.4 Gb file :smile:

That's actually just as well because I doubt I'd spend much time flying outside NA anyway. Thanks.

Why not contact Garmin .. ask if they have both on CD's for purchase?

Best Regards,

All this GTN praise is really making me consider buying it. However I wonder how much of this awesomeness are we missing when flying outside US (as I usually do)? Is it still worth it without buying those (pricy?) official Garmin-DVD's for global coverage?

Good question, I ordered the $25.00 DVD for the world terrain map coverage. Haven't gotten it yet but one thing that floored me was when on a flight I opened the charts icon on the #2 unit and pulled up the airport charts for the AP I was going to land at (plus a lot of other useful info). Hopefully all this extra documentation is included world wide DVD as well. There's so much stuff here to learn, I'm still ploughing through the manual but made my first flight yesterday from KMCE to KBOK, over 3 hours after I had put in a dozen waypoints, gave me time to investigate all the icons on the #2 unit, and kick back, relax, and enjoy the views over Orbx NCA. As someone previously mentioned, it's a game changer for me.

I've spent most of my 17 years of MSFS'ing bush flying where a precision approach and landing depends on how well you manage the stick and rudder with the terrain and weather conditions, but now I'm stoked to get focused on learning doing proper instrument flights and landings. The default instrumentation just never got me fired up enough to get invested. For those using RXP or other GPS software it's probably old hat but it's given me renewed enthusiasm.

Frank L.T

Why not contact Garmin .. ask if they have both on CD's for purchase?

Meh, my bandwidth renews on the 12th, it's January in N. Idaho so cold, clear nights are plentiful, I should be able to download it overnight within the next few days. Price-wise the bandwidth is probably about the same as a shipped DVD, maybe less. Thanks for the idea though.

"pulled up the airport charts for the AP I was going to land at (plus a lot of other useful info). Hopefully all this extra documentation is included world wide DVD as well."

I have not heard that extra charts (outside North America, as in GTN Trainer Lite version) were included.

Best Regards,

I got the RXP 530 a ling time ago and I am considering getting the GTN 750. Yet,as someone as already pointed out above, I am concerned with the limitation of its aviation database since my flying is mostly in Europe.

Can anyone please elaborate a little on this? How expensive is to get the DVD that is required to extend the aviation database to Europe? 

Edmundo Azevedo

There is pricing on the Garmin site.

I will see if I can get a link for you.

Basically ... very expensive.

I edited:

I think the cost is like $300 (for just worldwide Navdata)  .... but, the price list on the Garmin site needs to be consulted.

Note ... The Terrain CD is $25 + about $8 shipping.

Prices info I see here e.g.:

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing

Best Regards,

I got the RXP 530 a ling time ago and I am considering getting the GTN 750. Yet,as someone as already pointed out above, I am concerned with the limitation of its aviation database since my flying is mostly in Europe.

Can anyone please elaborate a little on this? How expensive is to get the DVD that is required to extend the aviation database to Europe? 

I looked in to this but to be honest, gave up.

Garmin's website (US based) will not even ship outside of North America, so you've no way of getting it directly from Garmin. There are Garmin dealers in Europe, I didn't directly contact one here in the UK myself but I saw a post by someone who had and they were quoted a huge mark up price... I think it was around 80 euros to get the DVD, whereas it's much much cheaper to get it from Garmin's site if you live in the US.

Outside of the US you do immediately miss out considerably as there's no terrain data.   But...... there is still a lot you can do with the unit, and although I fly 80% in Europe, I still certainly don't regret getting the GTN750. 

There is pricing on the Garmin site.

I will see if I can get a link for you.

Basically ... very expensive.

I think the cost is like $300 just for North America .... but, the price list on the Garmin site needs to be consulted.

I think you're looking at the wrong item.    I'm sure the terrain database DVD is a lot less than $300 !!   ... there are a number of people on here that have bought the DVD and I'm sure no-one in the US paid $300.

"I think you're looking at the wrong item.    I'm sure the terrain database DVD is a lot less than $300 !!"

He asked about navdata (aviation database)... so I assumed he was not talking about Terrain ...

But I edited my post.

Best Regards,

I looked in to this but to be honest, gave up.

Garmin's website (US based) will not even ship outside of North America, so you've no way of getting it directly from Garmin. There are Garmin dealers in Europe, I didn't directly contact one here in the UK myself but I saw a post by someone who had and they were quoted a huge mark up price... I think it was around 80 euros to get the DVD, whereas it's much much cheaper to get it from Garmin's site if you live in the US.

Outside of the US you do immediately miss out considerably as there's no terrain data.   But...... there is still a lot you can do with the unit, and although I fly 80% in Europe, I still certainly don't regret getting the GTN750. 

I think you're looking at the wrong item.    I'm sure the terrain database DVD is a lot less than $300 !!   ... there are a number of people on here that have bought the DVD and I'm sure no-one in the US paid $300.

scroll down

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing

GTN 7XX

ZORAN