Sign in to follow this  
Aviators

Prepar3D v2.5 Development Update

I started a "my PC build thread" here and will share where that particular adventure takes me including parts used, EFI settings, etc. etc. (FYI, this is probably my 70th PC build ... started doing PC builds back when 386SX processors were release ... 1985 I think)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/461367-and-let-the-pc-build-begin/

Cheers, Rob.

cloud shadows appearing and disappearing on the ground when the "offending" cloud appears or disappears in the field of view

I believe LM cull clouds for performance reason so this maybe something we have to live with for now ... I know I've pointed out a few strange on aircraft cloud shadows in v2.5 beta that has been acknowledged but may not be fixed because of performance optimizations made to help with cloud shadows ... it's always trade off between performance and visuals.  Before everyone hits the panic button, lets wait and see.

Cheers, Rob.

FYI for v2.5

Passing this along, this new setting should reduce VAS usage if you change views a lot.

[TERRAIN]

UseGlobalTerrainView=True

I believe this is related to this line item in LM's Development Update.

In my testing I think this feature works very well, no more having to wait for textures to resolve when changing views and I don't have to worry about causing an OOM with a view change.

Great! Any idea why this is an option? Are there any downsides to enabling it?

this is probably my 70th PC build
 I'm at about the same or more.  I started in the early 90's as my single mom was too poor to be able to afford me playing with hardware like that.  I had a friend that built a TRS-80 in 5th grade.  He is now a master of the universe.  Most of my build experience comes from my own needs, friends, a large family, and clients that wanted something unique.

I've done a few phase change cooling builds, but just too much work for 200-400Mhz increase.

I can understand low income family situation ... my folks/family were in the same situation only they lived thru WWII with German bombs dropping on their small home in England and air raid sirens and designated shelters ... hard times in England during WWII - very hard.  Fortunately my folks were able to survive WWII and save enough to get myself and my brothers a good education which helped us find jobs so we could pay our way thru university and hopefully make a comfortable living afterwards (my Dad is an Engineer also, mechanical/electrical - retired obviously).  I followed my Dad's lessons and made some good investments in early tech days in Microsoft and later on in Apple ... since I'm in the field I knew when to get in and when to get out ... pretty much responsible for me being able to afford what I have today.

Oh this is off topic ... sorry ...

Any idea why this is an option? Are there any downsides to enabling it?

I assume you mean why not make it always be the case?  I'm guessing it's an option just in case there is some 3rd party software that needs to have the view be separate.  So far I've seen no downsides to having it enabled and only positives.

Cheers, Rob.

OMG!!!   :o Don't work!!! :Black Eye: They Broke it!! :Silly: vertical whirly-do's are in the wrong folder...ORBX is in crisis!! :Cry::help:  

TrafficPilot is giving up and going back to DX10 voodo land. Trolls and vultures are over head....OH wait a minute....Fox News Alert!! {key the music} Prepar3D 2.5 has not been released and is still in early Beta. Leaders from around the world as well as the flight sim community are asking folks to get a grip!!! Good God Almighty!!

You made me smile, reading this....

So..I'm going to go and fly XPX, out of Seward.....in a roto-chop...and zen....LOL!    Where's my blood-pressure pills?!?!?!?!

Ses

Hi,

You say that LM brought a new option in P3D.cfg with :

Passing this along, this new setting should reduce VAS usage if you change views a lot.

[TERRAIN]
UseGlobalTerrainView=True

I have try this on my v2.4 installation and improvements are here (more reactivity on the simu) ... so it's a new option or an unused option before ?

Best regards, Didier "Lagaffe"

Boitier HAF 932 / ASUS Z390 STRIX-F Gaming / i9 9900K / Cruxial Ballistic 32 Go à 3200 Ghz / Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti / 34" Samsung FreeSync 21:9
SSD: Samsung 1To + 2 Cruxial 256 Go / Stockage : WD 4To et WD 2 To / Hotas Warthog and Throttle Cougar

I have try this on my v2.4 installation and improvements are here (more reactivity on the simu) ... so it's a new option or an unused option before ?

How about undocumented option?  The learning center didn't mention it in V2.4, but does in V2.5 ... so my assumption it was new for v2.5 (combined with LM's comments about sharing views) ... sounds like that assumption is wrong if you are saying it works in v2.4?

Did you mean to link to something?  If so, there is no link?  "improvements are here"?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob i have tried that setting and it seems to work i can switch all different views and the vas stays the same it never goes up for the view i am looking at.

Will have to do more testing.

Regards Ted Kiser

Rob

Was testing UseGlobalTerrainView=True and i am not sure it made a difference. But in my testing i was getting 3,650,000 vas with a flight out of lax with Ifly 737 using ut2 traffic set at 40%.loading in 784gb of megascenery2.

Then i rebooted and for the same set up i get  2,948,000 vas. I do not  get it when you quit the program it does not unload the scenery.

Thanks Ted Kiser

p.s. that was in the vc view

Rob i have tried that setting and it seems to work i can switch all different views and the vas stays the same it never goes up for the view i am looking at.

You can confirm if the setting is working as your view changes (spot, VC, aircraft, etc.) will no longer reload the terrain/scenery ... in other words you should never see the scenery get "blurry" when you change views, it should always stay sharp and focused.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, that's what the setting does for me also in 2.4. It seems fairly worthless, as why would one want to change the screen view only to see low resolution blurred textures?

Rob, that's what the setting does for me also in 2.4. It seems fairly worthless, as why would one want to change the screen view only to see low resolution blurred textures?

You lost me? 

With this setting enabled in v2.5 I can cycle views and they WILL NOT be blurry (I don't have to wait for them to resolve textures).  I must not be communicating well, sounds like I need to do a video showing the difference :)

Cheers, Rob.

Hey Rob

I know uninstalling P3d and its related folders is no big deal, But is there any mention within LM or is it even possible of them developing a Uninstall Utility.A programe that not only deletes the main program,folders and subfolders but also removes any remnants from the registry, this should insure all users a clean reinstall or patch. An added bonus to this utility would be scenery backup and replacement once a new version of P3d is installed.

Maybe its a utility you would like to bring to market yourself?

Again i know all this can be done manually....i guess im just getting lazy  :lol:

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

An added bonus to this utility would be scenery backup and replacement once a new version of P3d is installed.

Maybe its a utility you would like to bring to market yourself?

Anything is possible with software development, it's just a matter of time and resources.  Yes I could make a good attempt at it but there is SO MUCH 3rd party software it's NOT a  trivial task and in some cases one would need to get those 3rd party devs on board/enlisted (i.e. updates) to support any such application.

I do plan to enter the "commercial" market when a P3D 64bit product is released and there is an SDK available.  Until then I listen, watch, and learn.

Cheers, Rob.