Sign in to follow this  
Aviators

Prepar3D v2.5 Development Update

Thanks Rob, I have Rex but not played with the water textures or flown in crazy high wind condiions much, but I was referring to the wake and rotor wash effects mostly :) Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

when are they going to release this v2.5 ?,my mouse has recently decided to  work  intermittently  in P3d think I now need to reinstall,any idea,s what could cause this

peter

I know this is moon-on-a-stick and probably miles too late for 2.5 but has anything been done about the massive drop in frames around sunrise/sunset?

"I think we're really lucky to have someone (Rob) who can raise some of the community's requests in a level-headed manner with the P3D team, because after seeing some of the childish and often downright rude comments in the forums, I'm not surprised LM devs waste little time responding these days..."

Tym

+1

If you look back, LM release on Mondays. :wink:

massive drop in frames around sunrise/sunset?

That was a problem in V2.2 ... was fixed in V2.3 onwards.  Check your Prepar3D.cfg

[GRAPHICS]
GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=2048
CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512

These should be the defaults ... if you set GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=4096 that will cause a signification FPS problem at dawn/sunset as the shadow calc's overload the GPU.  You can reduce GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=1024 or even 512 to get better performance but at the cost of shadow quality.

Cheers, Rob.

I'll have a look at that, much appreciated Rob  :good:

I echo what the others have said about your work as well, keep it up.

Guys, just a quick question.

Why I can only see CRJ-700 on my Air Traffic?

I use vPilot

Guys, just a quick question.

Why I can only see CRJ-700 on my Air Traffic?

CRJ-700 is an AI only aircraft in P3Dv2.4

HINT: there is no ..\panel folder, and only ..\soundai folder is present.

If you have FSX, you can copy/paste the ..\panel and ..\sound folders over to P3D, as well as any gauge(s) required by the CRJ-700 to make it 'flyable.'

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

FYI for v2.5

Passing this along, this new setting should reduce VAS usage if you change views a lot.

[TERRAIN]
UseGlobalTerrainView=True

I believe this is related to this line item in LM's Development Update.

• Added a configuration option to the Prepar3D.cfg and Camera Definitions that allows cameras to share a single terrain view

In my testing I think this feature works very well, no more having to wait for textures to resolve when changing views and I don't have to worry about causing an OOM with a view change.

There are a lot of other items that have been fixed also so I'm sure LM will update their web page when closer to v2.5 release date.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the update Rob. This really is turining into a full-featured updated beyond the primary focus on Sim Director (which may have been rightly so given their customers).

Personally, can't wait for the terrain / shadow tweaks and the improved wake effects...

This really is turining into a full-featured updated beyond the primary focus on Sim Director (which may have been rightly so given their customers).

LM have been incredibly responsive, far beyond my expectations.  Now the big question, can I get my new PC built before v2.5 is released ... I just can't seem to make time to build it, most of the parts have arrived ... just no time, I need 32 hour days and cut my sleep back from 5 hrs a day to 3.

Cheers, Rob.

Now the big question, can I get my new PC built before v2.5 is released ... 

Ok....make us drool....post the specs. :-)

FaxCap

Rob,you have the patience of a saint.Thank you for taking the time to update the P3D thread.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

[TERRAIN]
UseGlobalTerrainView=True

I believe this is related to this line item in LM's Development Update:

• Added a configuration option to the Prepar3D.cfg and Camera Definitions that allows cameras to share a single terrain view

I wonder if this will provide an option for people who are put-off by cloud shadows appearing and disappearing on the ground when the "offending" cloud appears or disappears in the field of view. Maybe, just maybe, this could be used to override this behavior and have these shadows appearing even though the cloud which is producing it happens to be out of frame. There would undoubtedly be a performance penalty for that, but I wonder....

I'm sure this isn't the intended purpose of the config option, but it seems plausible that this would be a fringe benefit for those interested in it.

-Greg

Now the big question, can I get my new PC built before v2.5 is released
 I want all the juicy details.  What's in the pot you're stirring this time?  :)