Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Dovetail's initiative ...

Dovetail's initiative brought me FSX back, gave me a stable sim so far, I am able to use, now, all of my

add-ons with the only exception of ASN, but I know HifiTech will soon sort it out :-)

Steam, a platform I very reluctantly adhered to for the first time to buy MS FLIGHT DLCs, and latter Aerofly FS 

and even il2-CloD, is a great game support platform, makes everything so easy and smooth as silk, that I didn't

really have to think twice about buying FSX-SE.

The upcoming DLCs, starting with the recently announced "Dangerous Approaches" are certainly on my to-buy list 

because I am sure some of them will give me great times, and be even more challenging and elaborate than those

missions I loved to fly in MS FLIGHT, or simply chasing Aerocaches. That was part of the thrill MS FLIGHT gave me

just as some default missions that came with FSX Acceleration Pack, long ago.

I really think that if Dovetail and Steam manage to bring new simmers to our community, interested in Civil Aviation,

this sort of adventures will be a great way to give them a first insight into what FSX-SE, and whatever Dovetail

is up to bring us in the future, cane really be as a flight simulation platform.

Most "hardcore" simmers easily forget about their first steps, sometimes decades ago, when they started using MSFS,

ATP, Propilot, Fly!, ...   They wanted something more complex, more in the line of the kind of simming sessions 

they now play, using complex aircraft, following SOPs, using online ATC and whatever can make ( so they think ) 

their simmer experiences as close as possible to RW aircraft operations, but we should not forget about those

many prospective simmers who have to start with something. Starting with adventures, even with some Aviation History 

making part of their content, or didactic approaches to important aspects of how to fly an aircraft, navigate, 

co-exist with other aircraft in a crowded airspace and or deal with adverse weather, is certainly a very

good approach, IMHO.

Kudos to Dovetail Games and Steam!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well said, a whole new market & potential devs out there. Great for our hobby.. :-)

I hope you enjoy Dangerous Approaches! I have certainly had a great time flying the missions. I just landed at Papa Westray in a rainstorm as I write this and do a final test of the mission pack before release and I am still having a blast!

Jane

Dangerous approaches? Is this an addon for FSX? Must give it a try.....

Thx for the followup Jane :-)

I'm eager to try it too ;-)

Dangerous approaches? Is this an addon for FSX? Must give it a try.....

it is Pete, I have an article discussing it on FSX Insider being posted today. I will share the link

Nice +ve Update, Jane.

hey Rick, Haven't seen you in ages. I hope you are doing well. I kept your note, it meant a lot!

Keep us in touch Jane!

Looking fwd for that link from FSX Insider!

Keep us in touch Jane!

Looking fwd for that link from FSX Insider!

will do! I will post the link as soon as I have it, as hopefully it will answer people's questions.

I kept your note, it meant a lot!

Given the privacy of it-----you'll know what I'm referring to----I did not mention it, but so, so good to see you back active, and shipshape. Took a copy of your tutorials with me on the long Emirates 777-300ER flights UK-UAE-Australia. Keep up the sterling stuff you write up about.

All The Best.

Regards

FSX-SE is great, on my aging computer (i7 920, GTX580 & 12 Gb Ram) with all sliders maxed with the exception of Traffic at 20% my FPS jump between aprox 60 to 160 over rural France in the default Maule using REX texture & Soft Clouds, Orbx Global, Vector & Europe LC (I which I could remember how to show the average FPS). The only thing I'm short of is ASN.

It's interesting that the Texture Max Load is set to 4096 by default, you would think that using REX HD clouds would slow everything down.

Ian  

he only thing I'm short of is ASN.

Tested the latest beta last night - WHOW!!!  I used the PMDG 777, and experienced that great looking weather radar  too ;-)

I can assure you - it is worth the wait :-)

Is it in open beta yet?  There's no doubt that ASN is the best weather engine on the market.

Ian

And this has to do with the topic of this forum?

And this has to do with the topic of this forum?

Yes, since it's on the Positive side of the talk. A Positive comment on another great product, soon fully FSX-SE compatible ....  Am I wrong ?

No problem. I just got confused when I was reading this forum with the title of 'Dovetails initiative'. Very interesting it was. I did not realise weather addons were part of this initiative. But thanks for explaining.

Jane,

thank you for the link - great reading there!

I am almost desperately wanting to find something to drive me back to the MS FLIGHT experience I had a couple of years ago

when I returned to flight simulation. I confess that after a very sinuous track, involving a few flight simulation platforms

and versions, I landed in the Combat Flight Simulation arena, and it's there I've been spending most of my time... Why?

- Well, because I find flying online, playing dogfights, and ACM, profiting from the extraordinary flight dynamics provided

by those sims can be really exhilarating, and truth is I really got involved with it, but, at the same time, I sometimes

feel rather ridiculous chasing aircraft, shooting at them, watching the outcome... Not really my cup-of-tea, at least it wasn't

until I got into it...

Having a good experience flying missions, adventures, maybe starting to fly online with VATSIM, will certainly become a good diversion from

that "World of wars" I really don't like in it's essence, other than for the great feel of flight those sims provide me with...

Dangerous Approaches will be my first FSX-SE DLC, and I look forward to get from it exactly the thrill you describe so well

at FSX Insider. Well done, looking fwd to use it ;-)

Thanks, Jane.

Great Story & great flights.

Regards,

Robin

Thanks, Jane.

Great Story & great flights.

Regards,

Robin

thanks for that Robin, appreciated!

Congratulations Jane!

I will buy it soon ;-)

Well I got the offer to buy the product, I confess I'm itching to want to buy, but I see when a problem in FSX SE, does not work without internet, this is not good.
Already read reports of Mrs. Jane and certainly the product that was created by your idea is good.

João Alfredo

Hi. Can any addon aircraft be used to fly the approaches or are default aircraft permanently linked to a certain mission as in the boxed version? Are the missions flexible in terms of choosing the aircraft?

Regards..

I'm hearing different things about FSX-steam. Some people say its the great and others are complaining about constant crashes. I fly mainly pmdg 737 & 777 with fs2crew. orbx global (and some orbx and other payware airports), I use ASN (I know they are working on making this work with steam), sometimes voxatc or vatsim, EFB, PFPX/Topcat, UT2. I tend to do long haul flights without using time acceleration, but sometimes will do shorter flights 3-4 hours. Running out of VAS is a major problem with me on the long flights if I am using heavy scenery. Would steam be an ideal move for me? How difficult is it to switch over all the addons to steam? All software was purchased online, so I do not have the programs on CDs.  

Hi. Can any addon aircraft be used to fly the approaches or are default aircraft permanently linked to a certain mission as in the boxed version? Are the missions flexible in terms of choosing the aircraft?

Regards..

hey Peter,

There is a little tick box that you can select in the missions selection page that allows you to fly any aircraft on the approaches. It doesn't break the mission in any way, you still get all the voiceovers (it has a professional actress who is wonderful!), GPS flight plans (with embedded SID and STAR etc). All the mission completion and custom stuff in each mission still works fine. I made a point of coding each mission specifically for that flexibility. The only thing that you don't get if you swap aircraft is the trophy reward for the landing in your pilots log. Each landing awards a medal that is recorded permanently there. I had a lot of fun getting them all. The reason that the medals are not awarded if you change aircraft. That solves an exploit where cheating with something such as the ultralight (which would make the approaches easier) to record the landing doesn't award the trophy.

That matters, because the missions are multi-player compatible and during beta people were challenging each other in multiplayer sessions to see who could land the best and get the awards. So no cheating allowed! The team at Dovetail spent many hours trying their hand at various approaches, with office challenges happening every day! Gibraltar is a firm favourite!

So yes, in a nutshell, you can fly what you want, whether you are new to FSX or want to fly PMDG. It only affects the logbook trophy for reasons described above. Everything else is fully functional regardless of aircraft. I flew Castlegar in Dangerous Approaches yesterday with the A2A B-17 and loved it!

Dovetail tell me they are releasing a video today to websites of some of the approaches. (I think it is their way of justifying the office addiction to flying these approaches :)  :)  )

Thanks ever so much for the question

Jane