Sign in to follow this  

And let the PC build begin ...

The HDD is Windows 8.1 x64 and is full of files.

It is my current  C drive.

I cannot aford to loose the files it has on it.

Russ Smith

Many may fly and some are rewarded

handsomely, but the wings of gold of a

United States Naval Aviator mean more

than flying. It is dearly bought, requires

sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

its additional 150$ to get another drive and migrate your data into it slowly

since your old pc is up and running; you will be ok till you’re satisfied with your move

The HDD is Windows 8.1 x64 and is full of files.

It is my current C drive.

I cannot aford to loose the files it has on it.

How much free space is left on your drive ?

If you have enough then put it into your new box then install your operating system, the installer will allow you to create a new partition in the free space and install itself there.

You will now have a dual boot system and will be able to move your existing files over at your leisure.

Once you have everything you want saved moved over to your new install then use the

windows disk management to delete the old partition and expand your new partition into the free space.

Alternatively once empty use the old partition for your Sim install.

Glynn

That sounds promising. I have 1.34 TB of free space on the C drive.

I also have separate D & E drives.

I wonder why Microsoft decided to make things more difficult. I built 2 other systems in progression to where I am today. In both cases I just pluggrd in the old drive. Booted up and every thing was good to go.

Russ Smith

On a somber side note ... if anyone has issues after running Microsoft's Performance Index (WinSat.exe) -- which will auto-enable Aero for you ... this is a know bug in Win7 that can't deal with processors (like the 5960X) with more than 16MB L3 Cache ... the 5960X has a 20MB L3 cache.

Here is the article and the hotfix you can get to solve the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2619497

Rob.

c8c7b360189e588519ae9614ce6d17b3.jpg

I don't use the OS performance index as significant metric as it's a little too generic, but I do use it to make sure my OS and I know all is working as expected and no weak components that might be a source of bottlenecks.  Just a quick PC health check.

Rob.

Rob, I am convinced that the OS performance index is broken these days

Here is what it just gave me.

i5 2500K@4.6

GTX570

8GB DDR3 1600

A couple of Mech HD's and a couple of SSDs, W7 lives on a Seagate 1TB HDD

wscore.jpg

7.9 here also 

Rob, I am convinced that the OS performance index is broken these days

Here is what it just gave me.

Whats killing you is that video card and a bit more ram 

Ah as Rob noted I did not see you have your OS on a non ssd - thats not good

Rich Sennett

A couple of Mech HD's and a couple of SSDs, W7 lives on a Seagate 1TB HDD

The 1TB HDD is why your score comes in low ... I don't use this Performance Index as a metric, just to make sure:

1.  It runs to completion

2.  Nothing unexpected (your HDD score is expected)

3.  It's a tool that comes with any Win7 and above system so anyone can use it without downloading or buying other products

Although a weakest link doesn't necessarily describe how a system will perform in any given application, I do agree with Microsoft using the lowest metric to represent entire system score ... basic idea being that no matter how fast a CPU, if it's waiting on the HDD to load files/data then that's part that will govern perceived performance.

But I agree, for detail analysis Performance Index is a little to generic.

Cheers, Rob.

Whats killing you is that video card and a bit more ram

Ah as Rob noted I did not see you have your OS on a non ssd - thats not good

Why ? , If W7 takes 10 seconds or 60 to boot it makes no difference really, i'm not in a rush, it's only loading W7, all the supporting programs ASN,RC,FSC ect are on networked machines and they take just as long.

Both FSX and P3D each have their own SSD so no problems there.

Why ? , If W7 takes 10 seconds or 60 to boot it makes no difference really, i'm not in a rush, it's only loading W7, all the supporting programs ASN,RC,FSC ect are on networked machines and they take just as long.

Both FSX and P3D each have their own SSD so no problems there.

I was referring to the score being better as it would be with your OS on an SSD nothing more

Rich Sennett

Agreed Richard, maybe some day I will be able to afford to move both of these 1TB mech drives over to my NAS server and replace them with SSD's.

The OS index is broken though, no way should my CPU and GFX scores be so close to Robs with my old i5 and 570

Agreed Richard, maybe some day I will be able to afford to move both of these 1TB mech drives over to my NAS server and replace them with SSD's.

The OS index is broken though, no way should my CPU and GFX scores be so close to Robs with my old i5 and 570

There you go Buddy - that would be a super move - right now I have two 512 SSD'S - wish they were 1TB someday when they come down a bit - take care

Rich Sennett

I was very reluctant to finish the build because of the issues of moving the HD to the new computer. I was prompted to go ahead and finish because of a power supply going out.

When I booted up on the new computer I received a message about repairing the software. When it rebooted everything was normal. The only thing the new computer did was download some new files for the new hardware. Everything is working with the exception of P3D needing  new activation which failed. Waiting for LM to respond.

Russ

I recently went from 2500k@4.5Ghz/8gb1600 ram/r9 290 to 4790k@4.7ghz/16gb2400 ram/gtx980 and i am extremely pleased. Finally i am able to get a quite smooth experience.

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals