Sign in to follow this  
Chri

OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1

Thanks vic, seems a shame to have accuse me of this:

It's all good and fine to tell people they don't know what they are doing and offer criticism when setting frames to unlimited. But at the same time don't offer any solution! I say go with what works for you and ignore the critics.

I'm not telling anyone they don't know what they are doing, what I have said is it's no good expecting locked frames to work if there is no time left in the sim to create them, it's going to result in poorer performance. Fairly plan and simple. Since the pre-rendering is doing work ahead of time, it can be seen from monitoring the sim, that the sting is taken out of dips during more complex scenes, and peaks are taken care of by limiting. It's a solution for when the sim gets low on frames, 15-30. If you're setting 30 and you can only see 25, then that's set wrong try 20. I'm only telling like it is.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks vic, seems a shame to have accuse me of this:

I'm not telling anyone they don't know what they are doing, what I have said is it's no good expecting locked frames to work if there is no time left in the sim to create them, it's going to result in poorer performance. Fairly plan and simple. Since the pre-rendering is doing work ahead of time, it can be seen from monitoring the sim, that the sting is taken out of dips during more complex scenes, and peaks are taken care of by limiting. It's a solution for when the sim gets low on frames, 15-30. If you're setting 30 and you can only see 25, then that's set wrong try 20. I'm only telling like it is.

I only came here to share my results. If you are going to quote my experience and tell me they are wrong or being misleading etc... then perhaps you should offer a solution and links to help in your post to me. Not just keep repeating.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Since the pre-rendering is doing work ahead of time, it can be seen from monitoring the sim, that the sting is taken out of dips during more complex scenes, and peaks are taken care of by limiting.

Steve, I confirm you are correct with this (in many posts ^_^ ), I have tried it and witnessed it myself on my system. Although setting the frame limiter (if lower than 30) may seem a bit less fluid the good thing is that it gives a more constant motion. I prefer to use that.

One more question: I understand that I need to set the limiter in P3D for it to work best, but is there any benefit or use to set the limiter is NI as well (at the same value)?

sería importante que añadir a cada experiencia de los fundamentos de cada equipo para determinar en qué equipo tiene más relevancia, por ejemplo el tipo de CPU y la frecuencia y de la marca y el modelo de GPU.

en mi caso he tenido ninguna diferencia significativa, y no tengo ningún avión PMDG para ver si la diferencia estaba en lo cierto.

I7 3930K @4,6

AMD 6990 4mb

One more question: I understand that I need to set the limiter in P3D for it to work best, but is there any benefit or use to set the limiter is NI as well (at the same value)?

Eric, that's an apples and oranges question truthfully.

The "frame rate" in FSX/P3D is a target, not truly a limit. It's telling the sim that this is what you want it to reach. Granted, it also does effectively act as a limiter as well, since it is telling the sim to spend any excess time refining the scenery.

The "frame rate" in NI actually is a limiter, in that it will not allow more than what is set.

That being so, there's really no point in the NI entry at all, unless you are not setting a target in FSX/P3D...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I only came here to share my results. If you are going to quote my experience and tell me they are wrong or being misleading etc... then perhaps you should offer a solution and links to help in your post to me. Not just keep repeating.

I apologised beforehand for focussing on your post, could have been anyone. But it was typical of many, an incorrect use of the fixed setting produces poor performance. You need not treat it in such a personal manner. However, you did post about your experience presumably to discuss it, that's what you got. Please read back through many posts for the many answers to your request for help on the matter.

Steve, I confirm you are correct with this (in many posts ^_^ ), I have tried it and witnessed it myself on my system. Although setting the frame limiter (if lower than 30) may seem a bit less fluid the good thing is that it gives a more constant motion. I prefer to use that.

Thanks. Only seems to work if the frame rate is very near to that limit. With P3D, every now and then the monitor refresh will display the same image again since the next frame is not finished preparing, this shows as micro stutter. I have found the smoothest ride in P3D to be 20fps on my system with display port 60Hz monitor. It also hold 30 most of the time, but becomes distracting at times of high load, the cons of the extra 10fps outweigh the pros of the smoothness of 20 on my 1920x1200+GTX680+3960x@4GHz.

Well...I have to say that at first I reported no truly significant FPS increase with this setting as '1'.

In flying in my major areas...I am glad to report that I am seeing 7-10 FPS increase on average.

This is with the same favored plane that I fly, the Carenado 377.

I am right now in flight around Sedona, and other parts of Arizona, and am seeing that 7-10 (in unlimited) FPS increase over varied topographics.  Around the Greater Detroit Area of Michigan, (in Global), I am also seeing the same reported.  

So, does this being set to '1' work?  You betcha!

It's not only detailed cockpits that are getting the FPS increase, but G.A. as well.

P3D v2.4.

Although the default is 20 fixed. But that's not a reason to use fixed. I've spelled out what fixed does, and i'm not forcing you to use it.

...take any view, take an outside view and pan, rotation varies with the draw complexity with Unlimited. If you have not tried that do it now, and see what I mean...

Steve, I think I posted in reply to you some time ago that I found unlimited was the best for me. I would like to retract that. After reading your explanations regarding a fixed frame rate, I loaded the PMDG 737 at my busiest addon airport, FB KIAD, set to unlimited to see what my average frame rate was, which is 25FPS.

So I set the counter in P3D to 25. And I now get such a constant smooth frame rate. Amazing. When I pan in spot view, there is no micro stutters, and in flight turns a smooth as well.  I do not use NI, or any tweaks in P3Dconfig, only Optimize =1. Now this is on a GTX 580 and a i2600K @ 4.3 GHZ.

Many thanks for sharing you knowledge.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Many thanks for sharing you knowledge.

Thanks Julian. I've had a lot of positive response from that, and I'm particularly grateful for you coming forward to say on the forums - appreciated.

In my personal experience, the fps limiter -both in FSX and P3Dv2.5- is only a good thing if you have good fps overhead already. If your frames fluctuate all the way down to the teens in some areas with fps limiter set to unlimited then I would strongly advise not using it. I haven't used it for years and I particularly have no benefits of using it for P3Dv2.5. These are just my personal observations and they are of course tied to my particular PC setup so arguing over this is rather pointless unless everybody has the exact same PC. All I can say is, if you have a lot of FPS overhead, especially in more FPS intensive areas and in bad weather conditions, use it! otherwise steer clear.

I was getting a choppy 10-16 FPS in the VC with the PMDG birds. I also had my FPS locked at 30. I added the tweak and got about a 5 FPS increase. But when I removed the frames lock I am now getting 30-45 FPS in the VC and 60+ in spot view. Awesome!

GTX690, I74820K

I get +15 fps when I remove FPS limit regardless of OPTIMIZE_PARTS

Has anyone tried this in FSX? Or is it exclusively a P3D-tweak?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Has anyone tried this in FSX? Or is it exclusively a P3D-tweak?

IIRC LM confirmed this is something they added trying to work around an issue with some models so I highly doubt this would do any difference in FSX but should be easy to test by just adding it to fsx.cfg and see what happens?

Richard Åsberg

IIRC LM confirmed this is something they added trying to work around an issue with some models so I highly doubt this would do any difference in FSX but should be easy to test by just adding it to fsx.cfg and see what happens?

If I could, I would, but FSX is no longer on my system. If, however, its working in a similar degree it is good to know if I someday grow tired of P3D OOMs and will return to the VAS heaven that is FSX:Steam  :ph34r:

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth