Sign in to follow this  
pincopanco

Is advantageous in P3D overclock the video card?

Great stuff guys - we should start a new thread specific - boys toys - but in the end we should NEVER OC a video card so that has been taken care of quite a bit of posts ago - Rob your a mad man - Steve awesome pics - reminds me of my Ninja days doing wheelies down the center of the town - but that was just a Ninja 600 -- carry on Gents -- 

Rich Sennett

People blindly spend hundreds of dollars upgrading ram for less gains than what you get for free doing simple overclocks on your videocard. The 980 has lots of overhead for more and still wont even break a sweat.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

To ressurect an old thread....

Is overclocking a GPU for P3dv4 any more advantageous since it's switch to 64 bit?

Or are you better off not overstressing your VC?

Thanks!

Chris Camp

There is a lot of discussions in the AVSIM Hardware Forum regarding video cards.  You also might look in the CTD Forum where many had crashes when they tried to overclock their GPU's.  Look for DXGI Error Device Hung.  I try to buy new video cards that are already overclocked by the manufacturer.  So I recommend you do not overclock whether 32-bit or 64-bit apps.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

For me there is no advantage in OC of the GPU.  Tried it when the card was at 100 % from 1980 to 2150 Mhz Core Clock and from 7000 Mhz RAM to 7900 Mhz RAM.

No noticable difference. 

I think a 2080TI with 14 GB VRAM would have been great. 

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

If you're chasing that perfect tune for the last final couple of fps that's needed to maintain a vsync.

Then yeah every little bit helps.

Like motor sport enthusiasts, who will chase performance down to the last kw and even at times blow motors and drive trains in their pursuit.

Fortuantely it is a lot cheaper to chase performance in computers thses days.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

On 3/18/2015 at 12:46 AM, Richard Sennett said:

Great stuff guys - we should start a new thread specific - boys toys - but in the end we should NEVER OC a video card so that has been taken care of quite a bit of posts ago - Rob your a mad man - Steve awesome pics - reminds me of my Ninja days doing wheelies down the center of the town - but that was just a Ninja 600 -- carry on Gents -- 

Richard, the “you should NEVER OC” advice is absolutely incorrect. Go to any gaming/overclocking forum, GPU overclocking is a routine procedure. The manufacturers even support it.

I’m an EVGA fan, so I use their Precision app to OC. MSI afterburner is also worth considering, even if you have a non-MSI card.

The question of whether to overclock is also a simple one. Would you ideally like a faster/more expensive GPU for your usage scenario? If so, overclocking will get you a bit closer to your goal. For example, I used to have a GTX 970 and the upgraded to a GTX 1080 TI. For the way I use P3D, it was a very substantial improvement. So if I had the GTX 970, I would certainly be overclocking it.

On the other hand, if you have no need for a faster GPU based on the sway you use your sim, don’t overclock.

If you’re overclocking and feeling conservative, keep the temps below 80 degrees on a modern Nvidia GPU. There’s actually plenty of gamers who run temps higher than this, but if you’re nervous that’s a reasonable number to stay below.

Right now, my GTX 1080TI is overclocked at 115% using the Precision app.      The overall benefit is certainly less than my CPU overclock, but as I’m not wanting to spring for a 2080TI this is the next best thing. 🙂

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Go to any gaming/overclocking forum, GPU overclocking is a routine procedure. The manufacturers even support it.

Robert, you responded to a March 2015 post.  Richard hasn't been on AVSIM for quite some time (probably enjoying his 2014 Corvette).  Maybe back then it was best not to overclock.  Over 4 and a half years later, maybe it is best to overclock but doubt it.  When you get your crash, suspect your GPU overclock as the culprit first.  Many have already received crashes trying to overclock their GPU most by using the MSI utility.  I always purchase an already overclocked GPU.  If you know what you are doing (and it appears you do), then overclock the GPU.  I do not know what extra performance it is going to give you in P3DV4.

The poster above (kilo60) was necroposting and this is always dangerous as many, including me, see old posts that no longer apply today.  Therefore this topic is locked.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10