Sign in to follow this  
RockOla

Turbine Duke fuel planning "tool"

That's very kind of you.

At this time, it would be very valuable to have your feedback about the Nav Log :

- is it close to your real fuel burnt / altitude / ETE ?

- which feature would you like added (keeping in mind it is only a spreadsheet)

So while flying, you can collect your data (fuel left, altitude, time) every, say, x miles or fix, and give your feedback here.

Can you elaborate a little on how to actually insert your flight plan?

Do you just have to hand type everything including winds?

Yep, I cannot get and parse your flightplan from a source, right to the spreadsheet.

Wind information is not mandatory, if you leave the fields blank, your nav log will be computed with winds = 0

I know manually typing your FP is a bit tedious but at the moment I have no other solution. And this is a < 1000 nm - range - aircraft. If it can help you, imagine typing your 8000nm-FP for an A380  :lol:

Yep, I cannot get and parse your flightplan from a source, right to the spreadsheet.

Wind information is not mandatory, if you leave the fields blank, your nav log will be computed with winds = 0

I know manually typing your FP is a bit tedious but at the moment I have no other solution. And this is a < 1000 nm - range - aircraft. If it can help you, imagine typing your 8000nm-FP for an A380  :lol:

Okay thanks for verifying this. I'll be doing a VA flight some time this evening in the Duke so I'll report my findings.

Just great!

I bought the T-Duke today and this is the very best prop aircraft i have ever seen in fsx, love it.

Your fuel planning tool is the missing link to this great aircraft.

Thank you very much for your work! Will trie it asap!

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

It's been a while since I last updated this thread. My 3rd child was born mid-April and I have to say it is only 5 Months later that I am getting "free time"  :wink:

Long story short, here is the Fuel Planning Spreadsheet 1.2

T-Duke Fuel Planning 1.2 (897 ko)

fuel1.2.gif

How to :

- download and upload to your Google Docs

- Sheet "1- FLIGHTPLAN" fill in you FP (you can copy paste from Simroutes, I use the same columns). Wind information is not mandatory, if empty it assumes 0/0

- Sheet "2- FLIGHT DATA" check the informations, choose the CRZ level, the fuel units and the various reserves

- Sheet "3- NAVIGATION LOG" : no comment here, it speaks for itself. You get your flight main informations, arr/dep METAR sparsed realtime from http://weather.noaa.gov, fuel planning, FOB and altitude chart, and a point by point nav log

Please keep in mind this is only a spreadsheet. The good news is that you can display it on your mobiles devices : smartphone, tablet, laptop etc

Please give your feedback

Thanks for doing this!

I keep getting that the file is broken?

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

Great creativity in Excel. Kudos. You are learning a great deal about flying and its parameters and calculations, as well as about Excel. Excellent!  I did a similar workbook in Excel in the early '90s and distributed it on the Prodigy network to members of SunAir Airways, the first VA. It was a great learning experience as IAS had to be converted to TAS, and then converted with wind data to GS. And TAS is dependent on both altitude and OAT°. It worked great, but was work intensive as a significant data table had to be manually entered for each flight, and first winds aloft data and temps aloft had to be DL from DUATS, which required a membership. There were really basic flight planning programs, but they were more for MSFS, and didn't really address the ATP type aircraft or typical ATP FLs.

That was yesterday. Today there are sophisticated online flight planning services, some of whom are free and reach out and embrace simulator pilots. It may not be as much fun as creating your own, but is not at all so work intensive for each flight. I use Fltplan.com. It has built in performance tables from surface level to max cruise altitude for most aircraft types, including the Turbine Duke. It can closely estimate your fuel burn either by a simple gallons (or lbs) per hour basis, or based on the performance data table. It automatically factors in the winds aloft and temps aloft for your planned route.  The first image below is what a complete flight plan printout looks like. The second image shows the structure of the performance data table. The table for the Turbine Duke goes up to 28,000 at 1,000 ft levels, and you can modify the table based on your own experience.

The flight planning allows you to enter compressed routes as it handles SIDs, STARs, and Jet and Victor airways. You just have to define your entry and exit point from each airway along your route.

I  made a flight from KIND (Indianapolis) to KFLO (Florence, SC) last Thursday using weather from FS Global Real Weather, had a relatively straight in approach, and my actual fuel burn was within 2% of the flight plan.

There is a separate thread I posted about a month ago illustrating more of the capabilities of the site, including an iPad app that connects the site, your flight plan, and FSX to give you a moving map of your route and allows you to see real time weather and wind barbs on the map.

fltplanDotCom-XL.jpg

fltplanDotCom%282%29-XL.jpg

Data Table continues on up to 28,000 for the Turbine Duke.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for the link I didn't know fltplan. I registered and tried to find the Advanced Fuel Burn Calculation tool but did not find it.  :sad:

About the spreadsheet : it started simple but I quickly got caught up in the game. I have no idea if this can be useful for someone else than me, but as there is no simple Fuel Planning tool for the Duke (appart from ftlplan) I decided to share it.

I will try again fltplan, it seems very comprehensive, because of its real-world orientation.

About the spreadsheet : it started simple but I quickly got caught up in the game. I have no idea if this can be useful for someone else than me, but as there is no simple Fuel Planning tool for the Duke (appart from ftlplan) I decided to share it.

Oh by all means you should keep after the spreadsheet. It is a great learning tool/experience - both excel and the formulas needed for time, distance, burn. You will understand them from the inside out.  

Wonder how many here know how to use an E6B?

E6B-L.jpg

Send me a PM here if you need any help with Fltplan.com. It has a nuance or two to understand when used for sim flight planning.  The first nuance in creating a flight plan there for flight simulation is that on the first flight plan screen where you enter your departure and destination airports you must select "IFR (Domestic Format)". To use either of the other two formats you must the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) registration data for an actual aircraft.  For flight sim use don't worry that the IFR Domestic format says not for RNAV use. That applies to the real world. You will still be able to use RNAV navigation in your plans.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere