Sign in to follow this  
Gordon Hutchison

No 64-bit P3D coming according to Orbxs' John Venema

From the standpoint of performance (frame rates, smoothness , etc.), yes, there is little advantage. But from the standpoint of memory usage, there is no question that 32 bit flight sims are a complete dead end. Eventually, companies like PMDG will be producing add-on aircraft that will only be able to work on a 64 bit platform like XPlane. The same will be true for complex airports. It's just a matter of time.

Xplane is truly comming a great sim , just finished setting it all up , and now the only thing mising is some great tubeliner and ai traffic , HDR very customable , rain and snow is spectacular , vc light are just amazing way better ,scenery Orbx quality FREE ... even track ir run better. i am moving toward it

Potentially unlimited memory is a sure route to badly written bloatware and worsening performance

Indeed Pete, my biggest concern is exactly what you say, developers will get lazy and expect the customers to throw hardware at it; it already happens in computer gaming.

There is going to be an amazing amount of  processing power turned loose in the graphics world. That may indeed give us more of what we want and not break all the addons we have.

Won't make any difference to the amount of VAS available, it may even make things worse, people will turn up there settings because performance is much better and start getting OOMs.

Ian R Tyldesley

The real question is, are the commercial customers of P3D using the detailed scenery that helps to bring about the OOM's. My guess is they're more interested in aircraft fidelity than they are with out of the windshield eye candy like we are. I just don't believe that we're their target customers. It's nice that they've decided to take us along for the ride, and I do believe that simmers provide a service as beta testers, but if their commercial customers don't require a 64bit program, we won't see it.

Hit the nail on the head there. We're not their target market.

Why would 3rd party people not JUMP at the chance for a 64-bit development enviroment?    My business mind thinks that a 64-bit platform would in fact create new jobs in the market as all that software needs to be updated or new software needs to be developed from scratch.   I am fairly certain the entire flight sim community is tired of having our hands tied behind our backs because of OOM issues.   It is really holding back simulation software from going to the next level of fidelity and realism.   I would think moving to it would create jobs, not wreck the entire industry.   Of course there is the whole, "i don't wanna have to pay for something I already own" thing.   I would be willing to pay upgrades.  I don't think I would be wiling to dish out the exact same amount for a new piece of software which I guess is where the concern lies for devs.   All that effort for only half the gain if any at all?  Capitalism!  :)

If only X-Plane had the same support level we wouldn't have to discuss this.   It's already 64 bit but it has some glaring holes in it that make it not flyable for my personal needs.

Well here's hoping it isn't false hope or someone has a change of heart.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Equally, while eye candy scenery is not important in professional context, decent airports might be -

What's "eye-candy" in one training scenario may well be necessity in another.  Case in point - Earth Simulations' uber-detailed Shawbury Fields product, was originally produced for military helicopter training - very much in LM's wheelhouse.  Another example - if I were a flight school, I would LOVE to have detailed scenery available for my airport and surrounding area for ground-ops and VFR familiarization. 

P3D serves as a base product for many uses, and I'm sure LM realize that prevention of OOM issues involving memory intensive add-ons is to their benefit for the broadest customer appeal.  While 64-bit is certainly a solution for underlying memory issues, so is more efficient memory management.  In any event, I wouldn't spend too much time getting too upset over JV's posting - which is, itself, simply an informed opinion.

Scott

If only X-Plane had the same support level we wouldn't have to discuss this.   It's already 64 bit but it has some glaring holes in it that make it not flyable for my personal needs.

Perhaps you could try it again ,

if all would switch to that great platform , we would nt be here talking ,

chk this out

this is what 64 bit can offer

I think a lot of this is still putting the cart before the horse.  It all depends on how they apply the 64Bit structure.  As a former programmer there are a lot of methods that could be applied, and yes, while it would / could affect some 3rd party applications, it wouldn't for all of them, and there are methods to provide backward compatibility and still take advantage of the benefits that come with 64Bit.

Their current methodology makes perfect sense however.  Squeeze all you can from the 32bit structure first, then move to 64Bit.  It improves your base for the switchover and ensures that you have the most efficient 32Bit setup.  It provides some assurances that they have optimized coding going into the development of the new system.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

That was his own personal view and opinion...As long as LM has not said it, I will not believe.

The future is to move to 64 bit...This will generate new revenue for developers like ORBX and others...Those that say it is not gonna happen are probably behind because it is already happening....

Regis

Regis Biassala 

I am curious what Rob Ainscough has to say about this, since he appears to be in bed with the LM guys

Why would I sleep with someone for no money?  I have NO vested interest at all ... heck I'm not even a commercial member.  

Maybe John has much more recent information than I (within that last couple of weeks) ... but I have no comment because I was told by LM that such information provided to me was not to be made public.

Cheers, Rob.

I guess I'm more of a GA type of guy and I hardly fly tubes for hours into mega airports. So far I had rarely got any OOMs during my flight hours.

So I guess 64bit is not the first priority to me, but fps is. If I can fly SkyMaster or PC12 with all the slides to the MAXXXXXXXX and still enjoy a constant 60fps over Orbx at 4K resolution I'm perfectly happy. But I don't know whether that'll be possible in five years regardless 32bit or 64bit of P3D, since Intel seems to get totally stuck in terms of increasing their cpu clock speeds.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Xplane is truly comming a great sim , just finished setting it all up , and now the only thing mising is some great tubeliner and ai traffic , HDR very customable , rain and snow is spectacular , vc light are just amazing way better ,scenery Orbx quality FREE ... even track ir run better. i am moving toward it

The only thing missing from X-Plane is a realistic flight model. I wouldn't train my students on it.

For now it's a great graphics simulator especially in 64bit form.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Then, if Laminar Research doesn't open up their arms to all and any 3rdP established Dev's (and that's not to say that they already don't!!!!) over their non-vaporware, established and working BEAUTIFUL XPX.35 (and onwards) version...then...then...they are nuts!  If 3rdP devs don't come in through the swinging doors of the XP franchise....then THEY are nuts!

I type this, as my reaction to reading that P3D is not going (according to John's take)  to 64 bit.   Frankly, I can't believe it.  Laminar gives you a choice...with both 32 and 64 bit shipped when ordered.  P3D could do the same...and with many more resources behind them, then the LR staff!!!

Bummed to read this..... :blush:

Mitch

The only thing missing from X-Plane is a realistic flight model.

Hi TrafficPilot just try Carenado latest eg Carenado B1900D

your student will love it, there is more in to it then in fsx or p3d

shivers9, on 26 Mar 2015 - 10:26 AM, said:

There is going to be an amazing amount of  processing power turned loose in the graphics world. That may indeed give us more of what we want and not break all the addons we have.
Won't make any difference to the amount of VAS available, it may even make things worse, people will turn up there settings because performance is much better and start getting OOMs.

Not expending resources for 64 Bit conversion would provide Dev's more time to continue to improve areas such as VAS. If you look at the history of FSX. MS left us hanging and after that, the Dev's came out with more improvements than MS would have ever found. 

As for people turning up their settings, it does not matter. Lockheed could skip 64K and go to 128K and some dodo's are going to crank it us and start whinning about Prepar3D is blowing up their Microwave in the kitchen and the kids hair is falling out.!!

I personally don't care which route they take at Lockheed. For now and so long as they treat us as well as they have in the past few months I will support their efforts and judgement.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Bummed to read this.....

Only if you believe everything you read Mitch!

:)

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors