Sign in to follow this  

Can you hand over comms so MCE does all the tuning and ack ?

Welcome aboard Vernon.

Yes you can, but only with co-pilots William and Lorna, and you have to download specific voice packs to go into RC4 installation folder.

http://www.multicrewxp.com/MCE_Voice_Packs_For_Radar_Contact.zip

I assume you don't have the Windows speech bar running at the top. It's not required.

Ok i'll install them the now thanks alot. yeh i disabled that red text during flight.

I have a problem when i press my PTT or even the DEL key i hear that static noise but if i press the buttons again the noise doesn't come on like its not transmittin. i need to wait a few seconds before it works again? i thought it should work every time you press the key command?

Vernon Howells

Also i have this in my UI ???? to ???? i have loaded up RC4 prior to MCE

Vernon Howells

That means your flight plan has not been recognized or you didn't load a flightplan in rc4.

I have set the "IgnoreRC4Registry=0 //(Set this to 1 when RC4 isn't installed on the same machine as MCE)" set to 1

Although it's installed on the same machine!!!

Load up fsx, then rc4, choose a flightplan and press start.

After this fire up MCE.

It will 1st ask you to point to your rc4.exe.

After this has been done, mce will start. Wait a few sec and then those '???" will change into your flightplan

Hope this will help

John Cramer

Hi thanks alot i think it did finally show up last night. But my trouble is the PTT and the DEL key. If i hold it down i can hear the static noise but after a few seconds it goes off and if i press it again it doesn't work i, i usually have to wait a few seconds before i can hear that static noise?

How can i manually point MCE to the RC4.exe path? Or how can i confirm its worked?

Vernon Howells

How can i manually point MCE to the RC4.exe path? Or how can i confirm its worked?

Reset MCE to factory settings.

That will prompt you to go through the wizard again. No need for speech training every time you do that.

Open "mce.ini" and leave everything as is. Just set "Mode=RC4" and "Ignore RC4Registry=1".

Next time MCE starts, it will prompt you for the correct path to your "rcv4.exe". That will determine where MCE will get info from.

From experience, we find sometimes users have more than one RC4 installation, and by default MCE picks-up the first one it finds in registry.

Once you've set the path, it will be saved.

Check <ATC> tab and see what call-sign is displayed. If it's the same as the one you have in RC4, you're all setup with Radar Contact.

Is your RC4 networked by any chance?

It's important you use a reliable joystick button.

The PTT is simulated like the real world counterpart. If the switch has a dodgy contact that ends-up registering as "switch up" even for 1 millisecond, the ATC speech context will be disabled and nothing will be recognised.

Suggest you use the DELETE key until you have it all working as expected. Will then look at the Joystick issue separately. You may try connecting joystick straight to the back of PC and not via a USB hub.

Are you running FSX is normal priority, or is it set to high or something?

Ok i'll go back to factory settings and give it another go. I managed to get it working untill i was handed over by a centre which i couldn't manage. Can you give me an example that i should use from accepting the new FREQ to contacting the new FREQ. I did follow the manual but got stuck at this part.

What do you mean by is RC4 networked?

My PTT was working with my saitek and also the DEL key but my problem was with both after pressing it the static noise would only last a few seconds, if i pressed it again nothing would happen? I have been using the DEL key but the static noise comes and goes. Even after i press it no sound is heard, i then need to wait a few seconds till it works again.

I use affinity mask=14 thats like high priority

I do have it connected to a hub i will change it tonight to my pc. But this shouldn't affect it should it?

Vernon Howells

Vernon, Affinity mask is not like running the FSX process in high priority.

AF14 just stops FSX from running on your first CPU "0" core.

Process priority is a different thing entirely.

Ahh thats right just getting things mixed up! Don't think i have set it to high priority

Vernon Howells

This is a good hint.

You need to disable the "Enable optimizations" in MCE UI. By default MCE always assumes FSX/P3D will need the first core and avoid using it.

In your case it needs to.

Ok i'll try that soon! Is this the cause for my DEL key working then not working?

Is there a manual or description for the FO to handle the comms for RC4? Because i've done what you said and replaced those 51 sound files you sent. I'm not sure what else to do

Vernon Howells

Ok i'll try that soon! Is this the cause for my DEL key working then not working?

Is there a manual or description for the FO to handle the comms for RC4? Because i've done what you said and replaced those 51 sound files you sent. I'm not sure what else to do

With MCE effectively setting all its threads to work on core 1 (including spech engine own threads), and the sim being set on it via custom affinity, it's possible it wasn't a case of PTT breaking up. Maybe a case of MCE threads being starved of execution time, more so on dual core CPU (would explain why the background noise only starts to play after a while. Should normally kicks in within half a second.

Assuming you set "MCE William" or "MCE Lorna" as FO in RC4 user interface and MCE UI, tell co-pilot

"you handle ATC" or "You have the radio".

There are specific requests that co-pilot isn't expected to handle automatically in which case you are expected to intervene.

Here is a good tutorial video, courtesy of David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuJA3suPe5A

He has other videos to explore. That will save you reading manuals.

With MCE effectively setting all its threads to work on core 1 (including spech engine own threads), and the sim being set on it via custom affinity, it's possible it wasn't a case of PTT breaking up. Maybe a case of MCE threads being starved of execution time, more so on dual core CPU (would explain why the background noise only starts to play after a while. Should normally kicks in within half a second.

That option "Enable optimizations" is ticked but DEL key is still playing up? 

In the general tab what will i leave ticked for RC4 only as i use FS2CREW? will i leave TALK TO ATC CONTROLLERS ticked only ?

Vernon Howells

That option "Enable optimizations" is ticked but DEL key is still playing up? 

In the general tab what will i leave ticked for RC4 only as i use FS2CREW? will i leave TALK TO ATC CONTROLLERS ticked only ?

On a standard setup, with FSX using all cores, we recommend ticking option "Enable Optimizations", so MCE will stear clear of using Core 0.

Since your sim is set to specific affinity, you need to un-tick that option.

With it ticked, you basically have the sim and Fs2crew running a speech engine on core 1, all while having "mce.exe" run another instance of the speech engine on core 1.

Once you disable optimizations, core 0 will handle MCE and the speech engine. Restart MCE

Got it all working :) that PTT you need to wait for a seconf before pressing it again.

Ok i'll untick that option. What about the rest of the options in the general section?

Also how do i know my FO has comms or no comms when i give the command?

Vernon Howells