Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

To FSX users on the fence for P3D 2.5

Tomaz, yes, as you say, some of the add-ons are the same, however, obviously the devs are making a 'plan' to get their products to work. It is obviously, their perogative. However, we also saw upgrade prices with FS9 & FSX!.

Dennis writes...Until I see a thoughtful, unbiased comparison. from a user who knows what they are doing. who has run DX10 and FSX, and P3D, I'll stay with my FSX (DX10).  Nah! Dream on, there will never be an unbiased comparison! Far to many variables. It's a matter of perception of choosing between a game & a training (not for entertainment) direction for our hobby.

I've never been happier with a simulator and mine looks damn good at the present time.  This is great for you! Enjoy.

I bought FSX SE because it was on sale for $5, but it is sitting in a corner, probably never to be used. A 'Just in case' solution if FSX dies.

I'm still not happy with the P3D EULA, I feel like I'm being manipulated.  I don't like that. Personal choice!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Tomaz, yes, as you say, some of the add-ons are the same, however, obviously the devs are making a 'plan' to get their products to work. It is obviously, their perogative. However, we also saw upgrade prices with FS9 & FSX!.

As I said, no problem with upgrade prices or an upgrade discount. I'm happy to pay that and support the developer. But some are charging the full price for P3D version even though you already bought the product for FSX and they didn't make any additions to P3D version at all except the updated installer.

Again, some developers have no problem with making their products available in P3D for and upgrade price if you already own FSX version and some are making a big deal out of all that just to charge you full price all over again.

On a side note, I do agree with Super Six Four's opinion that the water in P3D is inferior to its FSX counterpart. I have REX Essential Plus SP3 installed (which apparently has a fix for the water), but I don't see it. It looks just as bland and static as it ever was above a few hundred feet. It is nowhere near as good as the REX simulation of water in FSX. To be honest, it is really annoying me. Either something that is supposed to be happening is not happening on my PC, or else everyone else needs to go to SpecSavers :rolleyes:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3. We (flight sim community) are not the target market for P3D therefore our opinions and wishes don't matter. I was reminded of that several times when discussing exclusive full screen mode and the lack of it, for example.

Who do you think buys the product for training purposes as intended? I would put a wager that 99%+ of the users are using it purely for entertainment.

Until I see a thoughtful, unbiased comparison. from a user who knows what they are doing. who has run DX10 and FSX, and P3D,

Thanks for that. I can assure you that I have run all of the above sims and why do you think my opinion is bias and that I don't know what I am doing?

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Who do you think buys the product for training purposes as intended? I would put a wager that 99%+ of the users are using it purely for entertainment.

That still doesn't change the fact that LM is not (cannot be) targeted at the entertainment segment of flight simulation.

That still doesn't change the fact that LM is not (cannot be) targeted at the entertainment segment of flight simulation.

you never know, maybe licences can be renogotiated in the future and perhaps a 64bit p3d will be regarded as a standalone sim with no ties to fsx

Alex Ridge

Lol, I saw it in the internet, so it must be true. Please, no debate on who uses which sim for what. That discussion has been beaten to death already.

Also, if someone does a comparison between the sims, it will obviously have to be a bare bones install, with that particular sim only installed & been benchmarked, which will be impossible to do, with time variations, etc. & obviously that result will be unique to that particular hardware. As almost all of us has various hardware/software set-ups, any results will be only a very rough guide, as it has already been discovered.

So, comparing a gaming product with a training product, is like comparing... FSX & FSX:SE.

Jokes aside, we cannot even get a definitive answer there either!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

It's hard to judge vanilla vs vanilla because I don't know anyone on this forum that uses any of the 2 sims in a vanilla state. Personally, I think P3D is a superior platform with better hardware support. It doesn't make FSX:SE less of a sim. So might choose to hang on to FSX because of some addons that didn't make it across the pond. That's is fine too. It doesn't have to be a war.

X-plane run circles around P3D/FSX in terms of performance bu it lacks in all other department.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

But what's the performance cost to all this? The P3D forum is not exactly inspiring confidence for anyone to change.

If I remember correctly you were not happy with FSX's performance on your PC, you will also have the same performance issues in P3D.

Better stay with FS9 if you are satisfied with it, but I will say that having used both FS9 and P3D that P3D is light years better in all aspects than FS9 when run on modern hardware.

For my uses though FSX running under DX10 is the sweet spot at the moment, better better visuals than FS9 when using Orbx Global + Vector + Open LC Europe and  also better performance than both FS9 and P3D.

Try FSX again but using Steve's DX10 Scenery fixer, you may be very surprised and adding Orbx Global gets me the same colouration in my eyes as I had with GE Pro in FS9 but at much higher resolution.

If I remember correctly you were not happy with FSX's performance on your PC, you will also have the same performance issues in P3D.

Better stay with FS9 if you are satisfied with it, but I will say that having used both FS9 and P3D that P3D is light years better in all aspects than FS9 when run on modern hardware.

For my uses though FSX running under DX10 is the sweet spot at the moment, better better visuals than FS9 when using Orbx Global + Vector + Open LC Europe and  also better performance than both FS9 and P3D.

Try FSX again but using Steve's DX10 Scenery fixer, you may be very surprised and adding Orbx Global gets me the same colouration in my eyes as I had with GE Pro in FS9 but at much higher resolution.

I get much lower perf in fsx Dx10 than p3d

Alex Ridge

I get much lower perf in fsx Dx10 than p3d

And you get no cloud issues either if I remember correctly, you must have the "golden" version of P3D that LM only gives out to special people.

As far as I know only Rob.A and yourself have received this copy, well done...

And you get no cloud issues either if I remember correctly, you must have the "golden" version of P3D that LM only gives out to special people.

Wow what a reply for just stating I have better performance. Was it necessary?

Alex Ridge

If you spent the same amount of time tweaking P3D the way you did with FSX, you might see some result. Are you saying that we are liars ? I was flying a Dash 8 Q400 from KLAS to KLAX last night. I was running between 40-50fps on the runway, over 60fps while flying over the desert. I was even in the 80fps territory at time. I was around 45fps when I landed in KLAX. That's with all the ORBX addons, ASN and EFB running.

I am running the typical I5 4670k with 8gig RAM with a GTX 970. Nothing is overclock. 1440p resolution + I have 2  other screens running for my addons.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

What an absurd statement to make.

My P3Dv2 runs fine with no cloud issues, but then again I spend more time flying than trying to find problems to tweak out like I used to with FSX... I must have the "golden" version as well.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato