Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

why is it that LM does nothing about OOMs?

I've never had an oom in fsx but they are so common in p3dv2 I flew from Orbx KHQM to krnt in the Carenado C550 and then took off again and the OOM imminent warning from FSUPIC started going off but no OOM. I flew from a light payware airport to a default city and the damn thing almost OOMs. Why does LM do nothing to make memory management better ie dumping stuff that's way behind the plane ect. I'm sorry but there are many games that have way better graphics and are 32bit and have none of this oom BS.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about the OOM issue you're experiencing. Would you be able to post up all your P3D slider settings and the contents of your p3d.cfg file? This would give a good start for the folks here to help you troubleshoot and while you're at it,  also list up all your add-ons you have installed in P3D. I have pretty much all the ORBX stuff for the US including Vector and Global and never had the FSUIPC VAS warning and this is while flying the Aerosoft Airbus or the PMDG 737. 

Mike

Yes, we need to see what you got going on under the hood.  Remember that the same settings in P3D 'DO NOT' equal the same settings in FSX.   P3D settings are much more intense at the same level as what you use to set in FSX.   For example, the LOD slider in FSX maxed out at 4.5 while P3D at max is 6.5, a substantial increase and drain on VAS resources.   High levels of tessellation, which was never available in FSX, can eat VAS too.   You have to manage your settings and your addon load before you rocket off into the sky in your favorite plane in P3D.   I generally can fly for about 4 hours before I start to have issues but that's because I leave relatively high settings on.  4 hours is more than enough when flying 737 routes in the United States.

It is my experience that people coming from FSX to P3D that are having OOM issues are thinking FSX when setting up of their P3D settings but they are not the same.  Just keep that in mind and set more realistic settings depending on the type of flying you want to achieve.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I have pretty much all the ORBX stuff for the US including Vector and Global and never had the FSUIPC VAS warning and this is while flying the Aerosoft Airbus or the PMDG 737. 

No offense, but I find that hard to believe, unless that is, you have all sliders full left...which negates the point that the OP is making. When will LM address the real problem?

I got a VAS warning today after one circuit at the new Orbx Sedona in the Iris Texan Driver. I'm running Medium LOD, 1024 textures, and Normal Autogen sliders...give me a break..

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I have pretty much all the ORBX stuff for the US including Vector and Global and never had the FSUIPC VAS warning and this is while flying the Aerosoft Airbus or the PMDG 737.

What are you settings?

ZORAN

LM does nothing because there is no problem. They have optimised the memory management in recent releases but ultimately your problems are caused by your addons. I don't have OOM and most people don't have them. My perception is those that have OOM tend to be people who install addons with ultra high quality 'don't throw litter' signs or airport departure gates modelled with high quality building interiors.

You can bet LM's target audience don't install memory sucking add ons like these.

You can bet LM's target audience don't install memory sucking add ons like these.

Have you seen the front page of Lockheed Martins' webpage? We are not target audience? Give me a break...

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

sanh, you are spot on, P3D (LM) audience is all about flying snd learning to fly an AC , as opposed to spend time looking inside Air terminals and air side airports...

Academic Licence.

Jorge

sanh, you are spot on, P3D (LM) audience is all about flying snd learning to fly an AC , as opposed to spend time looking inside Air terminals and air side airports...

Academic Licence.

Jorge

+1. The problem is not LM's. And not theirs to solve.

Why does LM do nothing to make memory management better

Why don't you take it up with them?  

As said by

You can bet LM's target audience don't install memory sucking add ons like these

Well that's it,  correct me if i am wrong,  but P3D as a naked install has no issues with memory,  so its really a question for the Ad On developers not for LM 

LM gets the blame for something which is very much in the hands of the individual.

I am a recent convert and have spent the last month reading,understanding and then flying using my two aircraft which see the most use.

Aerosoft bus and the PMDG NG are the two aircraft along with the IFly 744 and am more than happy with the results.

As I am an airliner flyer rather than a GA flyer.other than some addon airports I have not bothered with mesh or FTX products as I am too high to see any real value out of those programes.(I took the same approach with FSX).

Some folks like to have all of the latest offerings yet at the end of the day,how many of these items see regular use?

I have not seen a VAS warning or an OOM because I have set the sim up to my needs and tastes.I am a happy bunny.

We all have our own views on what we want out of this platform,thats why we are all different.

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about the OOM issue you're experiencing. Would you be able to post up all your P3D slider settings and the contents of your p3d.cfg file? This would give a good start for the folks here to help you troubleshoot and while you're at it, also list up all your add-ons you have installed in P3D. I have pretty much all the ORBX stuff for the US including Vector and Global and never had the FSUIPC VAS warning and this is while flying the Aerosoft Airbus or the PMDG 737.

Mike

Ever been to Fly Tampa's Copenhagen in the NGX :wink:?

Richard Åsberg

I got a VAS warning today after one circuit at the new Orbx Sedona in the Iris Texan Driver. I'm running Medium LOD, 1024 textures, and Normal Autogen sliders...give me a break..

That is very odd. Is that the default Texan or payware?

I have just done the same circuit, and free VAS hovered around 2GB the whole time.

Settings as per images below:

ORBXSedonaVAS.jpg

ORBXSedonaScenerySettings.jpg

ORBXSedonaLightingSettings.jpg

Daz

High levels of tessellation, which was never available in FSX, can eat VAS too.

This I didn't know so thanks for pointing it out, will keep that in mind.

Richard Åsberg