Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How to deal with annoying (Vectors) entry in your FMC/CDU

I don't fly on any online network such as VATSIM when flying tubeliners such as the PMDG 777. However, I want to know how you guys tackle this issue. Whenever I'm flight planning using SID/STAR for my departure and arrival, at times it will throw in a (Vectors) or (302º) into my flight plan. Since I do not use ATC or anything. How do you guys work around this? Do you delete those entries or do you pretend to vector yourself to the 1st waypoint and then let the FMC take over from there?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Depends. I look at the ND in PLN mode and see if a direct would be requiring an excessively sharp turn and if so I'll vector myself to a reasonable intercept and then go direct, otherwise I might just delete the vector leg.

For self-vectoring the FIX page can come in handy to add some references to the ND.

Barry Friedman

I follow specific arrivals and departures on Flight Radar 24 to see what the typical vectors are. Where possible, I listen to LiveATC at the same time. I can then use that information to do a fairly realistic self-vector.

Dugald Walker

It's not a big deal - you can use a chart or simply set the following waypoint as your next waypoint.  Either way works fine but I prefer to use a chart.

DJ

For example, I made a flightplan in PFPX from KIAH to KLAX... It sets my takeoff runway to 33R and Landing Runway is 07R at KLAX...

Everything seems good, except I'm not sure why PFPX chose a runway of 07R at KLAX? That means I have to fly past the airport and do a U-TURN back in order to land? And when looking at my flight plan, it seems between the last waypoint and the one taking me to the runway, requires an extremely sharp turn, in which I'm sure the plane will miss. How would you guys handle this situation?

Should I change the landing runway to like 28 instead, since it makes more sense that I'm coming from the EAST? That way I won't have to do any sort of crazy sharp u-turns to land.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

For example, I made a flightplan in PFPX from KIAH to KLAX... It sets my takeoff runway to 33R and Landing Runway is 07R at KLAX...

Everything seems good, except I'm not sure why PFPX chose a runway of 07R at KLAX? That means I have to fly past the airport and do a U-TURN back in order to land? And when looking at my flight plan, it seems between the last waypoint and the one taking me to the runway, requires an extremely sharp turn, in which I'm sure the plane will miss. How would you guys handle this situation?

Should I change the landing runway to like 28 instead, since it makes more sense that I'm coming from the EAST? That way I won't have to do any sort of crazy sharp u-turns to land.

KLAX is kind of a special example because the runway usage there is highly standardized,

but PFPX is mainly choosing 7R because of the wind, like it does for any airport.

you're right that during some times of the day you would just land west...but other times such as at night, there is a tendency to have planes out over the ocean and turning back to reduce noise. i don't think pfpx is actually taking those considerations into effect, i believe it just guesses based on runway length and general direction of wind.

of course, as you suggest, you can change your runway however you want if you are flying offline!

one suggestion i would say is to look at similar flights on flightaware site and see what their flightplans are, that will give you a clue as to which runways and stars are active for a flight you are trying.

cheers

-andy crosby

Thanks Andy, do you know of a good website to find real world flight plans where I can just cut and paste into PFPX without having to do any editing?

i would suggest flightaware , is the best one for usa flights it tracks pretty much all live usa traffic. i don't know about europe or elsewhere, i have not found a really good one there yet. 

in flightaware if you go to live flight tracking->ifr route analyzer and enter KIAH and KLAX you find three flights that are going right now, the last one is using flightplan: BNDTO4 CRGER EWM J4 TNP SEAVU2

i dont know how helpful that is because the SEAVU2 arrival ends in radar vectors lol!! 

anyway good luck, cheers

Lolz, vectors! Arghhhh, can't avoid them... I think I will self vector myself to the next waypoint by turning the heading knob on my 777 whenever I see a vector entry... and then hit LNAV again after to resume...

I use Flightaware to fly a real world route that was flown earlier in the day, so I program and follow the route as close as possible. Sometimes I just delete the Vector or follow it for a few moments but I try to stick to the same runway departure/arrival sids and stars that was flown by the flight I am following. A lot of time ATC wants to put me on different runways or approaches but if it gets bad enough I will cancel IFR and then just request flight following and stick to the route that the real world aircraft flown. FSX ATC has too many limitations so it is annoying, so sometimes on approach it is best to just cancel IFR and request flight following, switch to the tower when on the ILS. 

I tend to fly Southwest routes a lot then American, Westjet, United, Air New Zealand. Mostly 737 but sometimes 777, these are my habits

Matthew Kane

Lolz, vectors! Arghhhh, can't avoid them... I think I will self vector myself to the next waypoint by turning the heading knob on my 777 whenever I see a vector entry... and then hit LNAV again after to resume...

To be honest, where you have vectors inserted in the FMC, that is usually the point where you would receive ATC vectors in real life, so self-vectoring is the most realistic option and actually more engaging and enjoyable than just letting the aircraft do completely everything.