Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[13MAY15] Intercontinental breakfast, anyone?

Sorry about that, early morning slipup :)

haha - easy mistake, given the 100 increments/series we're used to. I was just busting your chops, though  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

do you anticipate to release this year? or even this summer? i know you don't give release dates but i can't wait anymore :wub:  :ph34r:  :P

64bit is being tipped as the answer to everything in flight simulation. Sure, it'll be an improvement to memory space and possibilities. OOMs (for those struggling with their sims) will be alleviated etc.

However those expecting better frames/performance might be left wanting, not to mention the disappointment of your add-ons all needing re-coding. Lets face it - one or two of those (mentioning no names *cough* EZDOK) could be a while.

In addition, there is the issue of memory efficiency. 32bit is a good discipline to work to - and most of us can achieve everything needed. Thanks in no small part to the like of PMDG who have evidently been relentless with VAS efficiency.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Directx12 in P3D - which should relieve the graphics bottlenecks and unlock some much needed frames. There's not much talk of this vs 64bit, hence why I wrote what I did.

Have a great day.

Michael-

Very well said!

From a developer standpoint, I am looking forward to having access to 64bit because it will alleviate what is rapidly becoming a friction zone between developers- namely:  "How much memory can we use?"

Most of the well established developers are being very very careful to minimize VAS use- but some are making no discernible effort at all.  It is a bit like cutting down trees in an old growth forest: once someone decides he will use as much memory as he chooses to make HIS product look best- he does so without any reasonable consideration to the impact he has on a customer who chooses to use his product in conjunction with other products that also need resources.  (This is why we have been so strident on VAS control during the last three development cycles.)

I am betting we will not see a 64bit sim with genetics back to the MFSF product line (meaning P3D or something by DTG) for at least two years- and my confidence isn't really all that high out to four years.

X-Plane certainly is an alternative, but it appeals to a different audience for a variety of reasons.

I share your concern regarding performance- because improved performance is going to require some very well thought out structural changes in the core of the simulator in order to unload the processor, gain efficiency in graphics handling, and thus improve FPS.  I think this will wind up coming hand-in-hand with some future, entirely new platform- but I have no doubt that with all of these capability improvements, visual realism will jump forward, thus consuming most of the gains that were realized.  In that instance, I have no doubt that all of us developers can figure out how to drive that new platform to it's knees if we aren't smart and careful with the products we create. 

Hopefully hardware advances will continue to drive improved performance over the lifetime of that new platform, just as they have in the past.  Right now the performance that most folks can achieve with FSX/P3D is reasonable-to-quite-good- and thus they are mostly impacted by VAS and OOM issues- so my hope is that an x64 option will eliminate that the OOM problem and we can all go back to worrying about performance.

Like I said, though- i think we have some time before that will be done for us.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

In case anyone is thinking of NOT buying the 747-X (whatever version it's called now :)

http://news.klm.com/first-boeing-747-in-new-livery-arrives-at-schiphol

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

In case anyone is thinking of NOT buying the 747-X (whatever version it's called now :)

Beautiful!

I've always loved the KLM blues, but the new cheat line makes their planes look like a family of Orcas. Not a fan.

Kyle Rodgers

Hello Kyle-

Is there an up to date info about the release time for the PMDG 747-400V.2,Is there a silver hope behind the horizon ?.Thank you in advance.

Is there an up to date info about the release time for the PMDG 747-400V.2,Is there a silver hope behind the horizon ?.Thank you in advance.

We do not provide release times. Never have.

Full names in the forum, too, please.

Kyle Rodgers

I've always loved the KLM blues, but the new cheat line makes their planes look like a family of Orcas. Not a fan.

I am a Dutchman, but I agree: the old style (in my humble opinion) looked better!  

Wijnand, EHBK

This aircraft is simply majestic; hands down the most beloved aircraft to behold it has such a commanding posture. Can you tell I’m bias; toward anything 747?

Have to agree with Kyle assessment on the “family of Orcas” new paint scheme. 

Looking forward to seeing what can be accomplished in XPL, along with those heat blurs.

the old style (in my humble opinion) looked better!

Now see how tastes may differ.

For my eyes, thanks to this change, the KLM livery for the first time intrigued me and is growing on me.

I personally prefer curved over straight cheat lines, if I can say so in English.

In the times when (in my opinion) most airlines unnecessarily introduce livery changes into worse (I won't give out examples to respect others' opinions), KLM has nicely surprised me. The fact is they are gentle with changes, compared to what many airlines do, but I find this subtle change to be deffinitely positive.

I agree Kyle i'm a huge KLM fan aswell and i like the straight line way more

Can I ask what engine variant(s) will be done?

As long as you give as at least the GE engines I would be happy. :)  (They sound the best!)

But having PW and RR would be nice as well, all with different sounds of course.