Sign in to follow this  
Emile

FSX MS now in Demo and home shows Dovetail

Hello,

Running FSX MS for years on my Win 7 X64 without problems . Started this morning it did request to accept many addon programs and gauges ..I accepted these...After 30 minutes ... end of Demo .....

When I restart FSX I see in the "home" the Dovetail Home .....

I have no option to enter the Product key ....

I have a dual boot

1/ Win 7 with FSX MS

2/ Win 8.1 with FSX SE

Edit : When I start FSX SE on my Win 8.1 I received the Microsoft Flight Simulater STEAM EDITION ... this is NOT the case on my FSX MS Win 7

Suggestion? Solutions?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Emile

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

How to upload the screenshot?

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Boot into your Win7 system and use the free flight1 registry repair tool to point to your fsx-ms FSX.exe

Boot Win7 , registry repair ... BUT still Demo mode .... :mad:

I use the donationware program at Oz - http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/. When embedding the images, follow the instructions at this link - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/441765-posting-images-in-avsim-forums-how-to/#entry3075679

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello, I have Backups for my FSX , in case of ... which Folders/Files do I need to restore?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

No ideas : how to leave the Demo mode? I have my Product Key on the DVD ...

After theDemo flight there is no request to registrate the product ....
:(

I ONLY use dropbox to host my screenshots and it's quite easy. Here's how:

Go to your "Public" folder

Upload your screenshot there

Right click your image and select "copy public link"

Copy to clipboard and paste on here.

For example, here is a screenshot of PSX, the CBT sim my institute uses for the 747-400 type rating: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7596209/IMGUR%20SIM/PSX_Preflight.png

Notice how the link is a dl.dropboxusercontent and not just dropbox.com - that's how you know it's right 

Benefit of using dropbox to host your screenshots is you have full complete control over it, and not have it uploaded elsewhere like imgur.

Regards,

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

Ok , let's look at the future ..

In case I am stuck with this DEMO mode , what solution?

1/ Try "REPAIR' with the DVD?

2/ Delete and reinstall FSX from scratch and update all files with my backup?

3/ Delete FSX , upgrade to 8.1 ; Buy and install P3D latest version?

Any suggestions? What would you do?

Thanks in advance

If you have all the original discs etc then completely remove it. I use 'Revo Uninstaller' to uninstall applications because if you pick 'Advanced' when uninstalling, you can also delete the registry keys. Just be careful and make sure you only delete FSX keys. It will be obvious though. That way, there is no trace. Then re-install and try again :)

It's free

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

the reason "Home" refers to Dovetail in FSX-MS as well as SE is that it points to FSinsider.com which is now controlled by Dovetail.

Correct  -- (unfortunatly)

In MICROSOFT FSX,  the HOME  points you to a website  that displays within FSX,   with a url of  http://fsinsider.html

Dovetail have "taken over"/control (?)   the fsxinsider.com   which now displays information about their steam offering.

Personally: I think it would have been more appropriate for them to have created FSXSeInsider,  and left FSXinsider alone,  so this would not have happened,  but it obviously was too good an advertising opportunity,  to be able to directly advertise within Microsoft FSX,  their FSX-SE  offerings.

So what effect does this have on a Microsoft FSX user.   - VERY LITTLE.

It only altered what appears when you select "HOME"  within MS FSX.

If you don't like that  -- what can you do about it ?

You can quite easily change the webpage displayed when you select "HOME"

Text edit (Notepad)   the file "product"  in your FSX root directory.

Until recently,  you could have change this to "https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider"  -- which was the original FSXINSIDER home page,  but now that has also been changed to display FSX-SE info.

The original FSXInsider home page appears to have been lost ?  Cannot find even an archived copy anywhere  :(

You could edit "Product"  to point to 

https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/product/Pages/default.aspx

Which is still the menu page for the original  MS FSXinsider

You could edit "product"  to point to ANYTHING you like --   remember- it only determines what is displayed when you select "HOME"  -- it does NOT stop you running MS FSX.

If you feel so inclined,  you could create your own html page,  with whatever you want on it.  say call it  fsxproduct.html, and edit "product"  to point to that FILE  on your Computer.

You can have complete control over what is displayed when you select "Home"

fsinsider is still owned by Microsoft, in fact the nameservers still point to MS nameservers;

Domain Name: FSINSIDER.COM
   Registrar: CSC CORPORATE DOMAINS, INC.
   Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 299
   Whois Server: whois.corporatedomains.com
   Referral URL: http://www.cscglobal.com/global/web/csc/digital-brand-services
   Name Server: NS1.MSFT.NET
   Name Server: NS2.MSFT.NET
   Name Server: NS3.MSFT.NET
   Name Server: NS4.MSFT.NET

Registrant Name: Domain Administrator
Registrant Organization: Microsoft Corporation
Registrant Street: One Microsoft Way
Registrant City: Redmond
Registrant State/Province: WA
Registrant Postal Code: 98052
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.4258828080
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.4259367329
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: domains@microsoft.com

So one presumes either MS gave it to them, or asked them if they could take it over. Since FSX is essentially dead for MS, it makes perfect sense