Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Why the change in format

Ha... the forums are probably loading faster because fewer people are accessing them.  Less posters = Better Performance.  Selective Quote seems to also have disappeared.

Actually, a huge difference. If I want to browse the forum previously, I just had to scroll down & see what I fancy looking at, now, I have to click a link, go to the top of that forum, click on 'The AVSIM Community' then scroll & browse. I prefer, personally, a menu of choices from the main page.

I was actually criticising its removal, Robin!! That's what I can't understand with respect to loading speed. Why is clicking on a "hot forum topics" link any faster than clicking on a menu option? They both still load the entire forum.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Aha... so, clicking on the logo takes us to the community forums.. Now, I'm happy.

Sorry for being slow on this, what about downloads? Clicking on 'Downloads' gives.... nothing much. What about FS9 Stuff?

On the main page with the latest downloads, we gotta click on an add-on, then click on 'Return to Library' then 'Whats New' to get anywhere apart from todays latest?

Is there any way to easily get to a 'Scan' view apart from going thru that whole story?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Frankly, other than when AVSIM is not available at all, I have never really had any other "performance issues" with the site - and just by way of expressing my opinion, I really dislike this current facade... 

Usually I'm not opposed to change, but this new format isn't too good in my opinion. I like the old site and knowing which topics are most current. And so far loading time has been just as long as it was with the old format.

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

Usually I'm not opposed to change, but this new format isn't too good in my opinion. I like the old site and knowing which topics are most current. And so far loading time has been just as long as it was with the old format.

This is not a "new format" at all. AVSIM is in a maintenance mode called "Performance" because there are some hardware problems that need to be repaired.

Do not panic! When the technician(s) get to the site and fix the broken stuff thing will return to "normal..."  :He He:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Do not panic! When the technician(s) get to the site and fix the broken stuff thing will return to "normal..."  :He He:

Nooo....  :cray:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update.  I'm sure you've all noticed the "Diet AVSIM" flavor in the past 24 hours.  Yes, it is definitely on a diet, but for a good reason and only for a temporary amount of time.  Yesterday our site was getting hit with over 50,000 requests in a short amount of time.  You may have been noticing the 503 errors.  At first we suspected an attack.  Tin foil hats aside, we are confident this was not an attack or similar.  The board has unanimously approved to consult and enlist the help of IT Experts.  We made the decision to put AVSIM on a temporary diet to make core functions accessible, instead of the alternate of the site not being accessible at all.

The IT Experts are scheduled to perform maintenance on our server, and then our website.  Over the next few weeks, we will be assessing, making some changes, and bringing AVSIM up to a comfortable and efficient performance.  Cosmetic wise, we aren't anticipating any alterations (unless we identify a module that is causing us more pain than its benefit is worth).  We expect most tweaking to be at the root/configuration level.  The Team here at AVSIM appreciates your patience as we work together and pull all of our resources to tweak coding to be more efficient with the goal to ultimately squash this persistent 503 problem once and for all.

As significant developments are made, we will keep the community up to date.

I have to admit that I like it this way - it's responsive and uncluttered.  There are forums that have essentially no activity; while you're examining things you might consider getting rid of them.

DJ

This is not a "new format" at all. AVSIM is in a maintenance mode called "Performance" because there are some hardware problems that need to be repaired.

No worries, I know! I saw the first two posts. Just saw some people who liked the way it currently is. I can't complain though, I'd rather be in performance mode than not have Avsim at all.

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

I confess i never noticed the lack of the right bar as i have it permanently hidden with adblockplus, but i do miss the recent posts button functionality.

Love the new speed though. Wish it could be like this forever, WITH the recent posts button working :P :P :P

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Missing recent post badly folks - no fun anymore :(

Rich Sennett

Missing recent post badly folks - no fun anymore :(

Have to agree.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Make sure your IT Experts have a different view on what constitutes a "short period of time". Someone you want to have tuning a high-volume property should know how to tune sites for that request volume every second. Even if you don't have such a load, they'll give you good suggestions and ideas that are applicable to your load level.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.