Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

Utx Europe comparisons

UTX will show in the areas it covers and LC will show in areas not covered by UTX. It actually works quite well.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Sure, the UTX LC will cancel out FTX LC , but the UTX LC is only (sub)urban, city LC and high rise.

All other places will be displayed by FTX LC.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Thanks Chris for the screens, very interesting.

I have already UTX2 and was tempted of buying OLC a few times, but from earlier pictures and discussions i had with friends, it seems like OLC removes a lot of autogen and that makes some places look very empty. Did you notice that too ? I tend to prefer a bit more autogen than way too little (personal preference)

Could you please, for example, post a picture of LSGS (google <-> OLC), the city is east of the airport and, if remember well, almost the full city (population around 35'000) is missing with OLC.

Maybe OLC is very good on big cities (like Zürich) and some other nice popular places shown by official screenshots, but i have still some doubts when it comes to particular regions where i like to fly VFR. Someone not knowing the region wouldn't even notice, but, if you know the region, missing main towns are just very depressing hehe :P .

i remember seeing many more examples with the same symptoms that i would describe as 'not enough autogen and a lot of empty fields'. At least, with UTX i get most of the time something believable to see when i know the region. Maybe those 'not so good' screens i saw were made with earlier versions of OLC and now it looks better, so it would be cool if you could post some more comparisons screens.

I guess it depends where you fly and probably both products will shine on some places and not that much on others. I guess it's inevitable with products covering such large areas.

so for now i still have only UTX 2.1 and i'm happy with it but I will certainly consider OLC if it improves over time.

Thank you :wub:

Chris, can you tell me which can you tell me which Land Class layers you turned off in UTX? I really fancy giving this a try myself, but there are several different LC layers to choose from.

Ian 

Hi

I turned off all the landclass layers, there are only about 4 I think.

Just a note guys. I'm not posting any more just yet. I took some shots of Munich and compared  orbx and with utx I get the grid of roads overlayed on fields. There is no city at all.

So in the interests of fairness im going to check my install and start from scratch I think. I find it hard to believe that utx could have it that wrong.

Will redo and post again.

Regards

Chris

Thanks so much, Chris, for all of your effort! Really helpful for making a decision on this.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

One other thing I would be interested in is VAS (memory) usage, because some people have reported that Vector has substantially larger memory footprint than UTX. And that could be the clincher for me, as I already run close to OOM on many flights.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Hopefully there was something wrong with your UTX install, because as much as I love Vector, the VAS hit is pretty nuts.
From your earlier shots, vector + OLC looked much better and more accurate to me.

It's really tough to make those comparisons unless you really know what you are doing with scenery ( I don't ) -

I know for a fact that UTX users more accurate commercial data than Vector so it "should" be more accurate. However it is very easy to have items layered in the scenery library that will overwrite the UTX entries and give the impression of inaccuracies.

As far as what "looks" better - each to his own. I prefer the more realistic tones of the GEX/UTX combination to the more vivid, unrealistic coloring of the FTX/Vector combination. BUT - there are a lot of people who like it that way.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors