Sign in to follow this  
Old_As_Dirt

10.40 b6 is out

Downloading now...

Only 43 mb compressed - 85 installed - no release notes yet

Backing up b5 before updating

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've only tried starting up the sim, and so far I don't see much difference.

Maybee 10.40 is getting stable? :-)

Took a short flight.  Frame rates have not taken a hit - maybe a little better.  Clouds are beautiful - even though I always use SkyMaxx Pro, it seems they have more volume or something. Too early to go with any more observations.  Looks like I wasted my time backing up b5.

John

Sorry guys - I was backing up 10.36 and went crazy....   10.40b6 is out and I notice no difference in framerates but the sky looks much better.  Clouds and evening hours are much richer.  Release notes not posted yet.

John

John,

Thanks for the heads up.

Mine seems to run without issues. Frame rates on my system are good with few stutters. Maybe a slight incease in FR.

Yes Jimmy,

I am thinking that the frame rates might be up just a tad, but not much. At any rate, I don't think they went down and with the 337.?.. Drivers on my 770 along with the control panel mods, I see no stutters.

Things look good. I flew my 777 from KATL to KJFK tonight without a glitch.

John

I'm unfortunately still getting the purple halos around objects in the distance, i.e. The shader bug. I'm sure they'll work it out at some point.

I haven't noticed the artifacts mentioned - maybe because I'm running those older drivers, but I am wondering why there are no release notes - even in the obscure page - http://www.x-plane.com/?article=x-plane-10-40-release-notes - where there has been a running account of them.  Some have said that they didn't notice any cloud or sky differences, but I am not seeing that black upper sky at higher altitudes that I did before.  Other than that, I don't know what the changes could be.  With Windows 10 being released next week, maybe there is something to prevent a problem there????

John 

Normally they add the release notes a few hours after the download is posted. I haven't noticed any difference in this build and b5, so not sure at a glance what's changed.

Anyone getting a crash when they close X-Plane?. Mine is crashing now with no info in the log on why.

Anyone getting a crash when they close X-Plane?. Mine is crashing now with no info in the log on why.

No Tony.  I just finished a rather long flight and it closed normally.

John

I'm itrigued by the fact that in some airplanes I can hear the avionics sound and in others can't (sasl/gizmo driven), yes sounds are correctly in place... all of this since the 10.40 beta run, anyone else noting this?

Where's Mitch? Odd betas frames through the roof; even betas frames down the toilet !!  :wink:

I have not noticed any decrease in framerates or, for that matter, any changes at all in b6.

John

777_v10_29.md.png

Interested to know if the code was tightened and targeted at FR or Smoothness.

Bob

I am curious about no release note updates yet, Ben used to update them a few hours later. Did only 2 flight so far, noticed horizon artifacts are no longer present on my Nvidia GTX 780M 2013 Imac.

Frame rates seems to be the same to me.

Ben said they will extend 10.40 beta process because they have decided to include a bunch of more stuff for 10.40 release. Let's see what the release notes and next steps reveal.

Patch notes are up

http://www.x-plane.com/types/release-notes/

The only changes that went into this seem to be support for the download/online version. The goodies will probably come in the next beta

...and I think it is pretty interesting how users find that stuff has significantly changed with this new beta. Better/worse framerates, better/worse clouds, better/worse colours, etc. I guess it shows in a dramatic way how subjective and error-prone the asessment of us users is when judging sim performance and appearance.

I wish Ben would at one time post a new beta with the description "serious work on rendering engine, clouds and scenery system - please report your findings!" - and then NOT change a single line of code... That would make for interesting reading :-)

Jan

i've had 2 crashes with this beta and that didn't happen with previous 10.4 betas.