Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Potential Prepar3d V3 Clue in FSUIPC Log 4.942 Release

If my add on's require me to open my wallet for v3 compatibility, ill stick with 2.5 for a while.

I purchased P3D 3 months ago, after being away from simming for years, due to the problems with MSFS versions. Since then I have flown 433 hours, so my cost per flight in just these few months is roughly  13.7 cents a flight.  I can't find anything fun  to do in life that is cheaper than that. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I can't find anything fun  to do in life that is cheaper than that. 

Please respect Lockheed Martins EULA and DO NOT use "fun" if you talk about Prepar3d! 

:Tounge:

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those Air Cadets on LMs own website obviously do have a lot of fun

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/features/2013/prepar3d-canada.html

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Last I checked, neither P3D nor FSX uses a lot of VRAM to begin with. So I dont see how thats applicable. Alot of folks have 3-4 GB cards and I doubt even a GPU intensive 64 bit P3D could make them bottleneck.

I have a Radeon R270x with 2 Gb of VRAM. According to GPU Monitor I am using 1896 Mb out of 2 Gb (which is 5.2% free). Does anybody have a 4 Gb card that can measure used VRAM? I bet that P3D is "throttling" the display due to the high usage. Am running P3D, 2.5 with FS Genesis Mesh. Megascenery Earth 2.0 base scenery, a number of FSDreamteam and other developers airports (including ORBX). GPU Monitor runs with any card so it would be interesting to see what happens with a 4 GB Card. It is a Win7 Gadget and can be downloaded at http://www.myfavoritegadgets.info/indexs.html#GPUMonitor

If additional VRAM is used, then that gives me a good excuse to buy a new R390 with 8 Gb of VRAM :)

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

My GTX 970 (4GB) uses max. 2.95 GB VRam with ORBX FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC, PMDG 777, Opus Weather, REX Texture Direct, REX Soft Clouds at Flytampa Vienna 2.6 with "VERY HIGH" Settings... all in P3D V2.5

But Im sure i could push thr use of Vram up by using 4096x4096 Textures (at the moment only 1024x1024)

Cheers

Just for the record......what happens if you run out of VRAM (as opposed to VAS) during a flight in P3D?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I would expect that things start showing up black with no textures.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Would P3D ultimately CTD if the problem became severe enough?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That would be up to nVidia to answer... only they know what their driver would do at that point.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks, Ed. I don't seem to have had any serious issues with VRAM, and I have a 2GB GeForce GTX 770 in my PC. I run P3D @ 1920x1080 on a single widescreen monitor, so I am guessing that those users who see 3+ GB VRAM being used are running FSX/P3D on single 4K monitors, or multiple screens.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have a Radeon R270x with 2 Gb of VRAM. According to GPU Monitor I am using 1896 Mb out of 2 Gb (which is 5.2% free). Does anybody have a 4 Gb card that can measure used VRAM? I bet that P3D is "throttling" the display due to the high usage. Am running P3D, 2.5 with FS Genesis Mesh. Megascenery Earth 2.0 base scenery, a number of FSDreamteam and other developers airports (including ORBX). GPU Monitor runs with any card so it would be interesting to see what happens with a 4 GB Card. It is a Win7 Gadget and can be downloaded at http://www.myfavoritegadgets.info/indexs.html#GPUMonitor

If additional VRAM is used, then that gives me a good excuse to buy a new R390 with 8 Gb of VRAM :)

P.

I have a 4gb card and I get the same with a ton of addons @ 1440p. I have never seen it break the 2gb mark and it goes as low as 900mb

Would P3D ultimately CTD if the problem became severe enough?

No, it wont crash, it will just begin to freeze until vram is available. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I have a 4gb card and I get the same with a ton of addons @ 1440p. I have never seen it break the 2gb mark and it goes as low as 900mb

Thanks for the input!!

Clear skies.

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.