Sign in to follow this  
WarpD

Prepar3D v3.x Compatibility

I'd rather have two separate folders on my SSD - P3D main folder and P3D Add-One Folder

Thanks Jeroen.  

I'm not sure why "it would be wise" is this threats? - they going to send in the F35s ? Whoops no . . Just what can they do?  Or even want to do?

Lighten up guys - LM can't and won't ban 3PDs  and didn't "tell them to change" they "recommended" an unspecified external structure, that as Louis has said is going to likely have 3PDS all using something different.  We'll just have to wait and see

This out side the main folder is all fine and dandy but..

Flightbeam =main folder

FSDT =main folder

Orbx = main folder

Whats the point?, it will be like some are some are not.....waste of time given how long it takes to reinstall a few airports.

I linked FlyTampa-tampa to v3 from 2.5, libs and airport and all worked fine, so for some its seems easy, but was not a good test to see if everything was working, looked at night and all lights were there.

So might just link to my 2.5 folders on another SSD for other airports. But some need files in main effects etc, .....sigh....

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Developers will have to make the choice... and you get to decide if you enjoy reinstalling your addons, repeatedly... over and over, for every single point release.

L-M made the changes so you wouldn't have to do that... and there really is not a valid reason for a developer to be installing into the core sim with v3 and beyond.

I'm a developer and I can tell you that I plan on adhering to the SDK.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Point releases / updates for the 'Client' portion of the P3D installation should not affect any scenery files at all.

Developers will have to make the choice... and you get to decide if you enjoy reinstalling your addons, repeatedly... over and over, for every single point release.

L-M made the changes so you wouldn't have to do that... and there really is not a valid reason for a developer to be installing into the core sim with v3 and beyond.

I'm a developer and I can tell you that I plan on adhering to the SDK.

The thing is Ed

Flightbeam / FSDT and Orbx have known for months and they should have/been leading the way. FSDT say they have been beta testing since June. 

Shame on all 3 of them.

So if them 3 cannot start the ball rolling in the right it's not very helpful or hopeful that others will be bothered to do so sadly.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I've posted a question to L-M regarding all of this.

If it's going to be 'who cares?'... I'm certainly not going to waste my time complying with a standard that everyone else ignores. LOL

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Don't blame you Ed

Given the standard set so far.....

FreeMeshX works just fine being installed outside of the P3D folders, so it's up to the end-user if they want to follow the LM standard.

I've had a user report one install works for FSX, P3Dv2, and P3Dv3.

I have installed ALL A2A and Carenado aircrafts (for P3D) without problems. Just point the installer to your v3 library and everything works out-of-the-box.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Hello everyone, I think this is my first post

I have triedto install my Feelthere ERJ and E-Jets using the  EMT but the dll have an error and the gouges do not work. In P3D v.2.5 all Feelthere works fine.

Nobody know how to help me?

Thanks for help and I apologize for my bad English

Paolo 

I have installed ALL A2A and Carenado aircrafts (for P3D) without problems. Just point the installer to your v3 library and everything works out-of-the-box.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Did you try the A2A Cub?  I could only get it to fully install the traditional way.  When I tried outside the main folder the latest update failed ("Could not find Cub" error).

Thanks!

Currently it is a recommendation - I have a feeling that somewhere down the road it will become mandatory. For some developers the change is NOT a trivial one - it requires quite a bit of work. Don't use Orbx as an example because they take it one step further and modify core files. They would need to find a better way of installing their product completely in order to effect this change.

As more and more users start to complain about reinstalling, I think that the major players WILL ultimately comply.

Meanwhile, I install those that will into outside folders, those that don't into the root folder and keep asking when they will comply.

One step at a time.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It is up to the consumer to make the decision for the developers. if we want it bad enough, and they want us to continue supporting them, they will make the adjustments. Remember when P3Dv2 was released, and there were more than a few devs who said that they would not be supporting LM and P3D.

But money talks and horse-puckey walks. Take a look at the number of devs not supporting LM, today; very few. Power of the people. P3D3 compliant installers could/should/will be, a selling point of addons, rather than a curse.

As always, just my .02c. Nomex at the ready.

Cheers, Craig

And Apple said you mustn't jailbreak.  Despite which Apple have never bricked a phone themselves - though some jailbreakers have done it accidentally  :wink:

To make it mandatory ideally they'd need/have to move their own add-ons outside the root , give a standard external folder structure ( under Addon  Prepar3Dv3 say, as suggested earlier), (could be identical to start) and that would possibly allow standard .cfg's pointing to both.  Developers would need to change their stuff so license keys and their own .dll's are referenced from that folder structure.  Modified textures would go in there and all sounds, effects, gauges and so forth.  Even the recalcitrants should be able to do it.  Even . . .   And yes it is possible - because I've done it. (and I'm a developer, before the armchair lawyers get

There are still problems.  Assuming there is no complete rewrite of the sim, new flight model, new everything - there are still the .dll's that currently some devs modify (that's what causes the need to re-install the add-ons) no, not the modified or overwritten textures and . bgl's, they should be outside - and  the ddl.xml and exe.xml which are further complicated by being programdata and appdata (local and roaming)   The things that LM might destroy or revert with an update of course.  Note that normal updates MERGE folders and only overwrite files that have identical filenames - that's why if you uninstall P3D, your add-ons are still there - apart from those modified .dlls.  So are theappdata and programdata ( the LM uninstall instructions tell you you have to delete those yourself, if you rermember.   Remember that adding folders and files is basically a windows thing and nothing can stop you adding to the filesystem on your PC.  If another outside influence deletes or modifies YOUR folders or files, that's called hacking and is  I believe illegal.

If  for example LM keeps one airplane in  simobjects, others can be put in, the same with textures and .bgl's.  .  The sim code only sees the .cfg for the path.  It is barely possible that the code could be modified to check each model loaded , but it can hardly check every single .bgl or texture to see if it's been modded  :fool:  That would really slow the system.

Anyway, just to mollify the armchair lawyers - yes I have set up an outside folder system, and the .cfg's got airplanes, boats and misc in, more coming, and at the moment have no add-on textures.  It all works  (awaiting REX and OrbX of course).  However I note that while I may have simobjects outside, not a single 3PD seems to want to put their models outside the root or at least "not yet because people want our stuff, working."

Somewhere down the road?  It's a long, long way . . .      or time maybe.   I would refer people to Ozymandias  :Tounge: