Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

P3D problems after system restore

Hoping someone can help me. After several days of trying to resolve a problem with intermittant sound, I decided to do a system restore - hopefulloy to a point before the sound problem began. After the restore, everything looked generally okay and I launched P3Dv3. The default flight came up (one I had saved previously), where the a/c was the Carenado Seneca V. Did a short flight and then selected Change Vehicle from the menu, choosing the Carenado Navajo, which I had installed just the evening before. When I launched the flight I got these two error messages:

Visual model could not be displayed

Carenado PA31 Navajo N8682S            and

Failed to startup the flight model

Carenado PA31 Navajo N8682S

I thought maybe it was a problem with just the Navajo registration, and tried the others: same outcome with all.

I quit P3D and looked at the Carenado Navajo folder in Sim Objects: Everything seemed to be there except the PA31.air file was missing.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? (Oh, the Restore did not fix the intermittant sound problem either!)

Thanks

Mike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

System restore causes the Windows registry to revert to its content on the day and time of the restore. It is mandatory to reinstall any software that had been installed since that date and time.

I have had  spotty luck using system restore with complex programs like simulators and add ons. Sometimes it fixes things, sometimes it does nothing and sometimes it makes things worse. It's always a gamble in my opinion. 

Thanks

Yes it looks like it caused new problems and solved none. The point I restored to was AFTER I installed the PA31. And it seems to have partially installed after the restore, just with the missing .air file. Am trying to re-install the PA31 but now Carenado's server is telling me the serial is invalid.

I had spent about a week sending emails back and forth to Carenado support trying to install this a/c to begin with, and finally after I disabled my Windows firewall and Microsoft Security, it finally installed. Now even though I am disabling firewall and anti-virus security, back to the previous serial number errors. Does Carenado invalidate the serial after you download and install??  I may just have to give up on this a/c...but don't want to. I like it.

Correction - the restore was BEFORE I installed the Navajo. So it should still be installed.

Looks like I had it right to begin with - the restore was AFTER the Navajo installation.

Tried to reverse the restore ?

Thanks, Bursco. That did the trick. Now I am back to where I was: the Navajo works and that's good news, but still no sound. Not much fun flying in a completely silent cockpit.

May I ask what is your intermittent sound fault - curiosity killed the cat.

Sound is on for awhile, then static and sputters a bit and goes silent. Usually it only comes back after I reboot, but sometimes I am flying along in silence and the sound returns.

Have spent several days googling trouble shooting suggestions, and I think I have just about done them all: speakers not plugged in to correct socket; speakers turned off; speakers faulty (Not the problem - checked them in another device and they worked fine.); then into the Control Panel to check out sound systems configurations: everything checks out fine. But the on and off sound continues.

Any suggestions?

Sound is on for awhile, then static and sputters a bit and goes silent. Usually it only comes back after I reboot, but sometimes I am flying along in silence and the sound returns.

Have spent several days googling trouble shooting suggestions, and I think I have just about done them all: speakers not plugged in to correct socket; speakers turned off; speakers faulty (Not the problem - checked them in another device and they worked fine.); then into the Control Panel to check out sound systems configurations: everything checks out fine. But the on and off sound continues.

Any suggestions?

If it is only with that one aircraft, that eliminates any hardware problem with you sound system, and points to either the aircraft itself or compatibility with the simulator unless you are also having problems with your default aircraft. I can't determine that from your posts. 

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The sound problem is not just with P3Dv2, it's any sound application, for example Youtube clips, news sites. No sound period, when it goes out.

I wonder if your sound chip on the MB is bad? I would try and reinstall the driver for you MB and see if that helps?

Martin

Have you done a recent windows update that updated the sound device? You can try rolling back the driver but Martin's suggestion is a good start. Just go into your device manager and delete the sound device. Then click - rescan for hardware changes or reboot and let windows reinstall the driver. If that doesn't do it, you many want to go to the device website and see if they have an updated driver.

Vic

I've had a few random sound issues similar to what you are describing since the Win10 upgrade. When it happens, if I go in to devices, disable and then re-enable the device that solves it for me. But I'm using a using a Presonus recording interface so it may just be a win10 driver comparability issue. Something to try anyway vs rebooting in the short term.

You might try removing the sound device in the control panel -> device manager, then rebooting.  That should force the PC to re-detect the device and initiate loading of new drivers.  Disabling and re-enabling just shuts down the driver, which won't help if it's corrupted.

Also, if your video card has an HD sound device built in (many/most do these days), I'd try disabling that in case there's a conflict causing problems.  If it appears to be a bad sound chip, you can always add a third-party sound card without needing to replace the mobo.

Regards

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I finally found that the problem was a fault in the motherboard. Just two weeks ago I upgraded my PC ; i7 processsor & Nvidia 970, which required a new motherboard. It had failed. My local PC shop, which did the upgrade, installed a new MB under the manufacturer's warranry. Not sure why it went out so soon, and the PC shop owner was surprised as well.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I finally found that the problem was a fault in the motherboard. Just two weeks ago I upgraded my PC ; i7 processsor & Nvidia 970, which required a new motherboard. It had failed. My local PC shop, which did the upgrade, installed a new MB under the manufacturer's warranry. Not sure why it went out so soon, and the PC shop owner was surprised as well.

Hardware problems in PC's are pretty rare with the exception of moving parts like hard drives, but if they do go, it is usually right away. You just got one of the tiny percentage that had a defect. Glad you got it solved. 

In my experience, the most common cause of mobo failures is a problem with the power supply rather than the mobo itself.  Hopefully your PC shop guy tested the PS when you brought it back...

Cheers

Please folks stop relyig on System restore for PC doing complex stuff like sim or gaming in general.

System restore only good for office PC.

I say this cause I have been probing the limits of my Acronis 2015 for few years now, using it alongside system restore, and can definatly say these payware storage programs are generally more reliable, infact don't sim without powerful storage software, system restore is a small gun in this contest of a hard to maintain sim.

Cant vouch for Acronis, definatly don't get it for its limitless cloud storage function, cause it too slooooooowww.

you be surprised how much huge stuff you can backup quickly using incremental backups

this trick only really works if you got around 5T storage, just hit backup key for anything, or just when you feeling nervous!!! Trigger Happy Backup Simmer here

Go incremental backups with huge storage, that ###### saves lifes.

My PC crashed due OC, some files in AirTrafficmanager got corrupted, reinstall the program will not fix, just went to mount backup in acronis to replace that specific folder. Solved.

Backup more than you need it for this Sim on Stilettos

Please folks stop relyig on System restore for PC doing complex stuff like sim or gaming in general.

System restore only good for office PC.

I say this cause I have been probing the limits of my Acronis 2015 for few years now, using it alongside system restore, and can definatly say these payware storage programs are generally more reliable, infact don't sim without powerful storage software, system restore is a small gun in this contest of a hard to maintain sim.

Cant vouch for Acronis, definatly don't get it for its limitless cloud storage function, cause it too slooooooowww.

you be surprised how much huge stuff you can backup quickly using incremental backups

this trick only really works if you got around 5T storage, just hit backup key for anything, or just when you feeling nervous!!! Trigger Happy Backup Simmer here

Go incremental backups with huge storage, that ###### saves lifes.

My PC crashed due OC, some files in AirTrafficmanager got corrupted, reinstall the program will not fix, just went to mount backup in acronis to replace that specific folder. Solved.

Backup more than you need it for this Sim on Stilettos

I use Macrium reflect which keeps a total backup of my HD on a regular basis. Many times, when a file was corrupted, and it took about 2 minutes to go to my ext backup HD. get the file and replace the corrupted one. Worth it's wait in gold.