Sign in to follow this  
kevinplick

FSX Poor Performance High End PC

How are your cores set up?

4.7 on all of them or each individually?

You can set up which core FSX will use.

I'm on intel clocked to 4.7 and I'm maxing 50 fps when flying PMDG stuff.

Ground never goes below 20 and I use 35% air traffic.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Somethings not right with your overlock. You stated that your running at 4.70 ghz but yet your procspeed values that FSX generates when you have it build a new cfg don't reflect anything close to th processor speed you are suggesting. I run at 3.85 ghz and FSX generates a procspeed for me around 13000 or so from memory. Your numbers suggest your processor is running around 3.00 ghz which would be one of the reasons your FPS aren't better.

I haven't changed anything in my cfg file.... 

What do u suggest i try???

How are your cores set up?

4.7 on all of them or each individually?

You can set up which core FSX will use.

I'm on intel clocked to 4.7 and I'm maxing 50 fps when flying PMDG stuff.

Ground never goes below 20 and I use 35% air traffic.

What needs to be done??

can you guide me on setting up the core to run FSX smoothly??

I haven't changed anything in my cfg file....

What do u suggest i try???

Are you actually letting FSX generate a new cfg or are you just taking the same cfg file and removing all the tweaks?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I would put all my money on the card as the issue. The performance seems to reflect what I was finding with my system with AMD card prior to upgrading to a nVidia card. Card alone took performance through the roof compared to what I was getting with the AMD card on my system. OP's current system specs and fps mentioned in the opening post are very much what I would expect.

To improve performance, my suggestions would be:

1. Try different drivers in the hope one of them might produce magic
2. Buy a decent nVidia card
3. Switch to FS9 (My personal fav suggestion, don't know what I'm even doing in this forum really! lol)

Mark Daniels

Are you actually letting FSX generate a new cfg or are you just taking the same cfg file and removing all the tweaks?

I completely delete it and let FSX generate a new one..

the only line i add is the

[GRAPHICS] 

HIGHMEMFIX=1

and im not getting more then 35FSP (unlimited) inside or outside cockpit 

and my PC is factory clocked at 4.70Ghz...and  my Graphics card is apparently a very good one 

AMD Radeon R9 270X  (2GB).. 

I've did two test.. 

Test ONE.

Using 747 Default plane, using REX WEATHER no traffic..

While parked at Airport cockpit view i was getting 40-30FPS

while taxing I was getting 40-30FPS

I flew for 20 mins with FRAMES set to unlimited i was getting a 60-30FPS no hiccups..

Test Two

Using 747 PMDG, REX WEATHER no traffic.

While parked cockpit view I was getting 28-14FPS

While taxing I was getting 30-20FPS, but every time I take a turn frames dropped to low as 2 FPS!.. 

I did a flight for 20 mins same route as first test ...same weather conditions no traffic Frames set to unlimted ..

After take off I was getting around 35-23FPS .. and then 5-6 mins after take off, Frames start dropping to as low as 5-3 FPS for about 2 sec..and it keeps happening like every 45-30 sec.

I don't know what's causing the lose of FPS.. 

I uninstalled and re-installed both 747-777 PMDG but nothing changed.. 

I would put all my money on the card as the issue. The performance seems to reflect what I was finding with my system with AMD card prior to upgrading to a nVidia card. Card alone took performance through the roof compared to what I was getting with the AMD card on my system. OP's current system specs and fps mentioned in the opening post are very much what I would expect.

To improve performance, my suggestions would be:

1. Try different drivers in the hope one of them might produce magic

2. Buy a decent nVidia card

3. Switch to FS9 (My personal fav suggestion, don't know what I'm even doing in this forum really! lol)

So u saying the AMD Radeon R9 270X  is not a good graphics card?

It might not be at the top of the line but it should run things pretty smooth..

Have you excluded FSX from your virus scanner as I suggested earlier? That could explain the low FPS for those short periods if your virus scanner is scanning FSX.

You say the computer is factory overclocked to 4.7 ghz. What company made it and overclocked it? That seems like a very aggressive overclock coming from a "factory".

Can right click on your Computer icon on the desktop, then select properties and post a screen shot where it shows your processor and the speed it's running at.

Have you excluded FSX from your virus scanner as I suggested earlier? That could explain the low FPS for those short periods if your virus scanner is scanning FSX.

You say the computer is factory overclocked to 4.7 ghz. What company made it and overclocked it? That seems like a very aggressive overclock coming from a "factory".

Can right click on your Computer icon on the desktop, then select properties and post a screen shot where it shows your processor and the speed it's running at.

here I posted 3 images FSX%20file.png?dl=0

here I posted 3 images FSX%20file.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4rvzy8nh5ul0ks/FSX%20file.png?dl=0

here's another shot at my DXconfig 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fn3czoboof2t0sc/FSX%20file2.png?dl=0

Well it looks like the overclock is true. I'm guessing your procspeed values are low since your CPU is at or near idle speed when your FSX cfg is generated.

I'll ask again, have you excluded FSX from your virus scanner as I suggested earlier? That could explain the low FPS for those short periods if your virus scanner is scanning FSX.

Also, have you tried any of the affinitymask tweaks for running 4 or 8 core processors? You might want to search here or google for appropriate affinity mask values for your cfg for your rig. That can sometimes help the studders.

I do not have any anti virus running.. n'or have FSUIPC auto saving...

I've tried running FSX with no affinitymask...

I tried adding line affinitymask=14

and also tried affinitymask=84 as suggested by some sites...no big change.. still getting those low 5-3FPS hiccups after 5-10mins in flight...

I ran FSX on a low end PC.. 2.4GHz 8GB RAM same settings as now..with a GT630 graphics... Never had hiccups with FRAMES at 35-20 FPS...

Its just weird a High end system clocked at 4.7Ghz isn't capable to perform as a low end or medium end PC..

I'm seeing people videos and blog running 3.0-4.0Ghz PC and it's nothing compared to what I'm experiencing.. not able to keep FSX run smooth with PMDG planes...

I don't know if it's FSX causing this or PMDG Planes...

I'm sorry, but didn't the OP say he was running an ATI processor with 8 physical cores?

FSX does not see anything more than 4 physical cores - thus my comment regarding procspeed.

Affinity mask setting of 14 would not be appropriate given that he has 8 physical cores.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

What u suggesting?.. Run FSX with affinitymask? or not?..

And what value of affinitymask should I try?..

One more thing I noticed.. When REX injecting weather into FSX.. I'm getting those low FRAMES 5-3 FPS as well... with both PMDG Planes and Default... I uninstalled REX and re-installed it.. and did as NICK Bible suggested ..I installed it on a separate drive..

Funny, no one addressed Couatl.exe.  I would check with FSDT to see if updates are available, and if so (and needed), update their stuff and then try running FSX again.  Actually, I would make sure that all add-ons are up to date before doing any more tests or tweaking the system.  While there may be some validity to AMD gpus not playing nice with FSX, I would look at add-on software being up to date.

Just my two cents from what I could gather from the cfg file.

-Jim

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I would turn every slider to the left and uncheck every box to start. Then slowly increase them one by one, testing it each time you change something. Might want to try doing this with a fresh install of FSX too.

1. You need to go to bios and check how are the cores set up. Usually by default the 1st is the highest clocked and rest are slower.

If you know how to overclock then make yourself a profile with all cores running at same clock speed.

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=xxxx

Get the xxxx number by calculating here:

That's the start for your cpu and setting it to anything else will simply slow everything down. Remember you have a pretty strong CPU and a lot of people still use settings from 2007. Waste of CPU power :)

3. (this step is valid if you do not want to oc the cpu)

ctrl+alt+del to run task manager, right click on fsx and set affinity to cores 2,3 and 4. Uncheck the rest. Now you can go the hard way and check which other programs use cores 2,3 and 4 and uncheck them but that's not really necessary.

This is the best way to give FSX some room to breathe and make sure it is running on the fastest cores. Now, 1 is always the fastest but system tends to like it a lot which is why i never set fsx to it.

Start with this and if it is still slow then you need to troubleshoot your GPU.

• Upvote 1

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png