Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

Ask Dovetail Games about DTG Flight School & Flight Simulator

Thank you for answering the questions Martin, clears up my mental fuzz.

If you're not planning on adding more DLC lessons after release, can you give us some idea of the depth of the existing lessons?

For instance the lessons covering navigation, do they cover NDB / VOR / DME navigation?

ps I've already bought into Flight School, really looking forward to it, questions are just for general interest now :smile:

TrackIR is not just limited to flight simulations, a lot of gamers who are into other simulations, racing sims etc also own and use TrackIR.

Are these not the type of players you are trying to attract ?

Crazy decision to not support something that makes pattern flying much better, especially in a product that supposedly teaches flying

Yes, Dovetail's Train Simulator also supports TrackIR.

Martin, I echo the comments of others here that TrackIR is something that I've very much come to rely on in flight simulator and other games/simulations.

It would be great if you could get it in there please?

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.

The plan is to try and get something new out every day until launch if we can. 

Hi Martin, thanks for the replies.  Is that a typo or are you really hoping to get something new out every day?

It would be great if you could.

Videos and screenshots down to little suggestions at facts.  Could be fun.

Some days it could just be a cryptic looking tweet.

Thanks.

( recognising that this tweeting probably wouldn't be done by the same person who was working on the sim improvements  :wink: )

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.

Yes, Dovetail's Train Simulator also supports TrackIR.

Martin, I echo the comments of others here that TrackIR is something that I've very much come to rely on in flight simulator and other games/simulations.

It would be great if you could get it in there please?

TrackIR is not just limited to flight simulations, a lot of gamers who are into other simulations, racing sims etc also own and use TrackIR.

Are these not the type of players you are trying to attract ?

Crazy decision to not support something that makes pattern flying much better, especially in a product that supposedly teaches flying

So we listened, we fed the development team a bunch of coffee and set them to work overnight. The end result? DTG Flight School now supports TrackIR. We need to do some QA testing on it, but it is in there. 

- Martin 

• Upvote 11

Hello Martin,

Quick question from me, which you may not be able to answer fully at the moment as I note that earlier in the thread you said that multiplayer functionality for Flight Simulator was still in its very early days. However:

Are there plans to incorporate the Shared Cockpit functionality that was introduced in FSX? I ask as much as anything else because we are using that particular functionality to great effect for training purposes and it would be magnificent to be able to continue that work within the new simulator (or at least not have to bin off all the work that's gone in to creating the training materials!).

Thanks,

Simon

Martin -

So we listened, we fed the development team a bunch of coffee and set them to work overnight. The end result? DTG Flight School now supports TrackIR. We need to do some QA testing on it, but it is in there.

Good grief, fast work.

Can you feed them more coffee and jab them with pointed sticks to get vibration feedback in for the 360 controllers?

Would make the gamers feel more at home.

- Martin 

So we can assume this will get carried over to the main Flight Simulator coming out later in the year. Either way, thanks.

Also, I heard you're doing an event in London showcasing Flight School this week (Thursday to Saturday).

Júnior Silva

Quick question from me, which you may not be able to answer fully at the moment as I note that earlier in the thread you said that multiplayer functionality for Flight Simulator was still in its very early days. However:

It is still too early to be talking about multiplayer in DFS. We will of course cover it in detail closer to the launch. 

- Martin 

Also, I heard you're doing an event in London showcasing Flight School this week (Thursday to Saturday).

Here are the details:

"Want to get hands on with DTG Flight School? Dovetail Games is proud to announce it has been selected as part of the EGX Rezzed 2016 line up through our partnership with Microsoft and the ID@Xbox programme -http://shout.lt/bvD6d. The event takes place at the Tobacco Dock in London, Apr 7-9. Swing by and get a first look at Dovetail Games Flight School and say hello to Aimee, Martin and a couple of other members of our team.

Full details of the event can be found here - https://www.egx.net/rezzed"

Can you feed them more coffee and jab them with pointed sticks to get vibration feedback in for the 360 controllers?
Would make the gamers feel more at home.

I can but try. 

- Martin 

Hi Martin,

I do not know if the question was posted before, but does Flight School and Flight Simulator will have the option to run DX11 in full screen exclusive mode, which is the only way to have the application able to control the vsync, and avoid microstuttering when FPS below the monitor refresh rate.

Cheers

Claude

• Upvote 1

Claude Troncy

Hello Martin,

Any chance of having the "Job Boards" system (as in MS Flight) added to the sim?

Thank you for your time.

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

Hello Martin,

Any chance of having the "Job Boards" system (as in MS Flight) added to the sim?

Thank you for your time.

There are currently no plans to add this to DTG Flight School and it is not something which is being worked on for Flight Sim either. It is a fun idea though. 

- Martin 

There are currently no plans to add this to DTG Flight School and it is not something which is being worked on for Flight Sim either. It is a fun idea though. 

- Martin 

I second that idea/question. It gives purpose to the sim beyond our own imaginations of what flights we want to do. I imagine it would be easy enough to implement in the grand scheme of things. A sort of FS Passengers would be great.

My questions are regarding the rain and snow effects. Will these be improved? Also would it be possible to add standing water with nice reflections to the runway and taxiways when it rains or after. This would be really cool, sort of like what you see in GTA V or racing sims on the road surfaces. I know that this is a world simulator and I know its not GTA in terms of scale (i.e. its incredibly bigger) but this would be so much more immersive to see lighting and reflections on standing water in an airport environment especially compared to the basic overly reflective wet tarmac we see currently in FSX.

Hi Martin

Any chance of some feedback on the following question I posted previously? Thanks!

Firstly, are there any plans to improve what you might call the "airfield environment" in DTG Flight Simulator? In FSX, it's pretty dry and certainly kills the illusion when all you have on the ground are a few plain service vehicles randomly zooming around the airport and a broken jetway docking system. Quite often I just start a flight at the threshold of the runway and finish right after landing. There are plenty of addons that seek to improve this in FSX (such as GSX), but it's all very disjointed/arbitrary and there isn't much incentive to use it. It would be great to have something more uniform and integrated, so that these features are represented across all airports and are more easily part of your "workflow" when carrying out a flight from start to finish. For example, timed boarding/servicing and a realistic pushback system that is linked to the sim's ATC system (so that you'd, for example, need a "push and start" clearance before commencing the pushback). It would also be great to see AI traffic do the same, kind of like how current default traffic can call jetways in vanilla FSX. It might mean the end of AI aircraft magically reversing out of a gate and suddenly spinning on the spot after getting a taxi clearance.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but are there seasons in FlightSchool?

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

DVNT28, on 05 Apr 2016 - 5:43 PM, said:

Martin, how long did it take to make the Flight School pre release video, that is not actual in game footage?

Could these resources have been better used creating actual in game content?

The trailer took about six weeks to make. It was made by our creative services department who produce all the artwork and video content we use online. They have nothing to do with the game development team though. That is bit like saying the receptionist at a hospital would be of more use performing operations than answering the phone. Good in theory, but the skillsets are very different.

- Martin

Ok well thanks for your reply. I understand. Do you think you will use the same approach for DTG Flight Sim? Or do you realize a different market requires a very different approach?

Hi Martin,

I've just seen the 2nd Video, the "World Tour". Is Dovetail Games going to fix the sky colours? (To look like the sky over Planet Earth)... I mean the video shows the sky appearing to be Full Purple, then Full orange then full shades of Cyan! I've never seen the sky look like that in real life. And I've Never seen purple clouds???