Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

CLS DC-10v2 for Existing Owners

Hi, Folks,

I was hesitant to buy this bird, because I am mostly a procedural sim guy, but the intro price

was right, so I decided to try it. This is my first purchase of an F-Lite aircraft. I thought

it might be fun to have a tubeliner that you could just fire up and fly, without having to

spend a lot of time planning. I have now flown the craft for about three hours and have to say

I've had quite a bit of fun with it.

FMS

I was a little disappointed in this based on the advertizing on JustFlight's website, which

goes like this: "Easy to use FMC which allows for SIDs and STARs in the Flight Simulator

database, radio and navigation frequency entry, V-speed calculation, ‘direct to’ waypoint

features, progress display, estimated fuel on board, and more." Frankly, I think the claim

about SIDS and STARS is a little misleading. To a new FS user, or someone just starting to

explore instrument flying with airliners, this could be quite misleading. Let me assure you,

you can't enter any SIDS or STARS into the FMS,but you can enter all the ones available in the

Flight Simulator database, which is the number zero, because there aren't any. You could have

waypoints of a STAR in the FMS, but only if you make that STAR a part of your flight plan.

Making the transitions from that STAR, though, you'd have to resort to radio navigation,

assuming you are not using vectors from ATC. You could make a departure procedure part of your

route also, but that would require knowing in advance which runway you will be using before

creating your flight plan. You would also need a third party flight planner; this would be very

difficult to do with FSX's built in planner. If you do decide to do this you can fool the default ATC into

letting you fly it, by acknowledging ATC's instructions to contact departure after takeoff and

then waiting until you have nearly arrived at your first enroute waypoint before contacting

departure. By doing this you can also ignore instructions to fly runway heading without being

scolded. Maybe this is beyond the scope of this product, though. The easiest way, if you are a

beginner, is just to ignore departure and arrival procedures and let ATC walk you through your

journey. When I fly this bird though, I intend to incorporate SIDS and STARS.

Essentially what the CDU does, as far as routing goes, is display a list of waypoints in an

activated FS flight plan; it's essentially mimicing the GPS unit, which, by the way, you can

display as a pop-up by a hiden control panel, activated by pushing a click spot on the

captain's panel's left side, next to the glare shield. As you fly the waypoints scroll up, and

the topmost one is the one you have most recently passed over. If you press the LSK next to the

waypoint you're heading to you can see the distance and bearing to it. So, it does have some

use in helping with navigating, but you can't enter any waypoints; you can, however, use the

"Direct TO" function, but you are limited to the waypoints that are already in your flight

plan. When I fly I have SkyVector (https://skyvector.com/) up on another computer (a laptop

next to my desktop computer), with the route of my flight displayed. That way, when I look at

the waypoint displayed on the CDU, I can visualize where I am. You could also accomplish the

same by popping up the GPS, but SkyVector covers a large area in one view and is easier to

read.

The other useful thing the FMS does is calculate your V speeds, both for departure and

approach, based on your gross weight. It does provide you with a fuel estimate, but only to the

next waypoint, and as far as I can tell there is no way to get an estimate for trip planning.

And there is no fuel burn information provided. The number keys work, but only for entering

radio frequencies, and choosing a DTO waypoint selection from a list. Only 4 letters work,

allowing you to display units of measure, lbs., liters, etc.

FUNCTIONALITY OF COCKPIT CONTROLS

You can make this as simple as you want. Ctrl-E will get you going and start up all systems.

When I first get a new plane, I try to start up without looking at a manual or using Ctrl-E. I

was able to do this on this plane also. On the second officer's (engineer's) panel I switched

on the APU fuel pump, moved the start swith to start, waited about thiry seconds until the

gauges indicated that it was up to full speed, then moved the start switch to "run." Once

you've done that you can flip on the 3 APU bus switches. Then go to the overhead panel and turn

on the 2 avionics bus switches, whereupon you can go about setting up the mode control panel,

after receiving your IFR clearance, and setting you speed bugs via knobs on the airspeed

indicator.

Then if you want to continue the realistic procedures you can, such as fliping off the 3 Pack

switches on the engineers panel. I won't continue here with all the detail, but most, if not

all, of the systems on the engineer's panel appear to do something. Needles move, pressures

appear to rise and fall, etc. It appears that something is happening, but remember, it's just

that, appearance. JustFlight likes to say that the Flight Engineer is automated, if you want

him to be, but actually it's another way of saying that the panel has no impact at all on the

functions of your aircraft!

To some this may be a big disappointment, but I don't see it that way. Remember, this is F-

Lite. It's target market is the casual simmer. The good thing, as I see it, is that it allows

the hardcore simmer a chance to enjoy it, too, because you can go through many of the flows

that you would in a study sim. Does it really matter if the windscreen heat doesn't do

anything? Even in a procedural sim you can't necessarily tell, unless you look at the ammeter,

or, in some rare cases where window icing and fogging is simulated, see the fog or ice build-

up.

On the whole the cockpit lighting is quite nice, although I haven't been able to see a way to

illuminate analog gauges without turning on the floodlight. But the rest of the lighting

features variable intensity, on the instrument panel surfaces, the mode control panel, and the

pedestal panel. I'm not sure, but I think you may have to have a DX-11 capable graphics card

for this feature to work.

THE VAS PROBLEM

Others in this thread have mentioned this, and it is indeed a problem. When I first hopped into

the cockpit I placed the plane at Stansted. This was in Orbx's England, so the default airport had

been given the usual Orbx enhancement, which made it a rather nice airport, but nowehere nearly

as complex as a payware version would be. My point is that it shouldn't have been too hard on

VAS. Anyway I started up and taxied over to runway 4, took off and flew at about 3000 ft. for

16 miles or so, turned around and flew back to my departure airport, and then landed. I did a

video playback of my landing and then resumed taxiing. I took one more external view to admire

my new acquisition and then heard the dreaded bing bong of FSUIPC telling me that I was running

low on memory. I had to say I was a bit shocked and disappointed, to say the least! But

remember this was Orbx territory, which seems to use more VAS real estate.

For my next flight I decided to fly between two Mega airports, both by Aerosoft, Amsterdam and

Frankfurt. Now this is not Orbx territory, so I was curious to see how much difference it would

make. I do, though, have FTX Global and Europe Open Land Class installed, both by Orbx. I was

able to make the entire flight without a hiccup, BUT, as I was taxiing off runway 7L, I heard

my first warning tone. Even so, I was able to make it to the gate, whithout FSX crashing. I

should say that during the flight I did a lot of external viewing, and I don't really know what

impact this has on VAS filling up. I should also say that I have some of my sliders moved

leftward when I make tube flights, not for performance, but to conserve VAS usage.

If you decide to go for this bird, be sure to read the documentation, which is not very long,

as there are some things you might not discover if you don't.

Hope this helps in making a purchase decsision.

Regards,

Tom

Last minute edit.  It just occurred to me that what I said about putting a departure into you flight plan wouldn't quite work, if using ATC.  ATC would consider the first waypoint of your departure as your first enroute point. What I do is not put the departure in the flight plan, but I fly it using radio navigation, assuming I can find a non-RNAV procedure. I ignore ATC's instruction to fly runway heading.  Instead, I fly to the first waypoint of the departure, after telling the tower that I'll contact departure, but I wait until I've flown the departure procedure and am approaching my first enroute waypoint, which is the first waypoint in my flight plan, before I contact departure.  Departure will then give me a final vector and clear me to my own navigation.  I hope that made sense.

Looks like there are only a few days left for the introductory discount price. I currently have the PMDG MD-11 (which i still contend is one of the best), which is obviously a member of the DC-10 family (although with some obvious differences as well). Question is: would there be any benefit in getting this bird? I, along with I'm sure several others on this forum, have spent an ungodly amount of money buying aircraft that look interesting and make us pull the trigger. However, most of these end up in the hangar as I continue to go back to the same 3 or 4 aircraft for the majority of my filghts. I would rather not buy yet another aircraft that I will soon get bored of, and add yet another aircraft to gather dust in the hangar. Of course, even if I wait i would expect, as has happened in the past, that this plane will go on sale again in the near term. So in the end I am on the fence here, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I too would love to have this aircraft. But with all the reports of insanely high VAS usage, I'll be holding off until this is fixed. If it ever does get addressed. Too many good products in development right now to throw money away.

On the topic of throwing money away, anyone else disappointed with the newly revamped CS727? Got it off the ground, but couldn't bear to spend more time with it. Wish there were returns. If enough people requested returns, the devs might focus on actually improving their products. Or at least a way to trade licences, so that someone else who may enjoy it can remove it from my boneyard.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

"I currently have the PMDG MD-11 (which i still contend is one of the best)"  +10 to that

"I would rather not buy yet another aircraft that I will soon get bored of, and add yet another aircraft to gather dust in the hangar. Of course, even if I wait i would expect, as has happened in the past, that this plane will go on sale again in the near term. So in the end I am on the fence here,"

Murfman provides a good summary. If you're on the fence you might want to stay there b/c as you say, it will come up for sale again. Random notes:

- On the one hand, this is a $20 aircraft and the MD11 is about $80.  Is the PMDG at least 4X better than this one? Absolutely.

- On the other hand, for $20 I don't feel cheated. It's better than Virtualcol, not as good as Qualitywings or Capt Sim. I'll get my money out of her.

- The VC texture isn't bad. The 2D popups look like leftovers from Version 1 of this AC, they're poor.

- The engineer's panel is rather functional though as Murfman says, may not be realistic. Much of the overhead switches are non-functional; IRS alignment, wipers.  Just enough functionality to run through a decent simulated startup procedure.

- The FMS is useless though to be fair I don't know this AC was flown with one.  It provides v speeds and little else. The AC will follow a FSX flight plan.  I'm fiddling with an ISG Panels integration which seems to work.

- The VAS is awful. I don't dare to run in P3D, which handles VAS worse for me. In FSX, I flew between payware KATL and KSFO and just barely made it, about 400 MB left at touchdown. Switch to external view on the ground at your own risk, that nearly OOM'd me at the takeoff gate.

- Frames are OK on this 2700 processor OC'd to 4.7

- She has a mode control panel but I don't think it's working properly.

- She doesn't have the 'heavy' feel of other payware heavies. Taxis smartly, rotates quickly.  However, she isn't overpowered on the climb, seems sluggish if anything.

- There is a TCAS but it provides no aural alert, just a visual cue of the AC you're about to have a midair with.

- I can't see where to adjust the minimums bug

- She has a functioning mach hold, but the AP otherwise seems stock FSX. Followed the ILS reasonably well on the one landing I've made.

Maybe some fixes will materialize in SP1?  I've no confidence in that - so far I've seen zero response from either JF or CLS to any of the issues users have raised. If so great,if not it is what it is. At full price of $37.99? No way.  At $20? OK.  A year+ from now, at one of JF's $8 sales? Absolutely.

Hans Soule

"I currently have the PMDG MD-11 (which i still contend is one of the best)" +10 to that

"I would rather not buy yet another aircraft that I will soon get bored of, and add yet another aircraft to gather dust in the hangar. Of course, even if I wait i would expect, as has happened in the past, that this plane will go on sale again in the near term. So in the end I am on the fence here,"

Murfman provides a good summary. If you're on the fence you might want to stay there b/c as you say, it will come up for sale again. Random notes:

- On the one hand, this is a $20 aircraft and the MD11 is about $80. Is the PMDG at least 4X better than this one? Absolutely.

- On the other hand, for $20 I don't feel cheated. It's better than Virtualcol, not as good as Qualitywings or Capt Sim. I'll get my money out of her.

- The VC texture isn't bad. The 2D popups look like leftovers from Version 1 of this AC, they're poor.

- The engineer's panel is rather functional though as Murfman says, may not be realistic. Much of the overhead switches are non-functional; IRS alignment, wipers. Just enough functionality to run through a decent simulated startup procedure.

- The FMS is useless though to be fair I don't know this AC was flown with one. It provides v speeds and little else. The AC will follow a FSX flight plan. I'm fiddling with an ISG Panels integration which seems to work.

- The VAS is awful. I don't dare to run in P3D, which handles VAS worse for me. In FSX, I flew between payware KATL and KSFO and just barely made it, about 400 MB left at touchdown. Switch to external view on the ground at your own risk, that nearly OOM'd me at the takeoff gate.

- Frames are OK on this 2700 processor OC'd to 4.7

- She has a mode control panel but I don't think it's working properly.

- She doesn't have the 'heavy' feel of other payware heavies. Taxis smartly, rotates quickly. However, she isn't overpowered on the climb, seems sluggish if anything.

- There is a TCAS but it provides no aural alert, just a visual cue of the AC you're about to have a midair with.

- I can't see where to adjust the minimums bug

- She has a functioning mach hold, but the AP otherwise seems stock FSX. Followed the ILS reasonably well on the one landing I've made.

Maybe some fixes will materialize in SP1? I've no confidence in that - so far I've seen zero response from either JF or CLS to any of the issues users have raised. If so great,if not it is what it is. At full price of $37.99? No way. At $20? OK. A year+ from now, at one of JF's $8 sales? Absolutely.

Thanks! That's a great summary and much appreciated. I think I will wait and perhaps get the A2A 172..something very different from what I tend to fly.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

For anyone that wants them. My first and last liveries for this addon following it's terrible support.

Fake reflections done and gone.

[link removed]

fsx-2015-08-20-14-45-29-80-png.176

[link removed]

fsx-2015-08-19-14-39-20-13-png.172

Edited by Jim Young
Link to external website removed

I've been struggling with VAS on this aircraft. Just noticed something odd though - the -30 variant seems to consume far more VAS than the -10 . Can someone spot check this?

Hans Soule

Alternatively, it might be better VAS use with the freighters vs the passenger variants?

Hans Soule

Is there any interior modelling?  Might be more on the pax version?  I don't have the aircraft just throwing out a guess.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

No, VC aside there's no interior modeling at all. This is an odd one. I know nothing of textures, but I've made three flights with the DC10-10 Fedex variant now and VAS use is no problem. With the pax versions - the -10, the -30 -  OOMs are hit or miss.

Hans Soule

I contacted cls  and linked this thread about the problem maybe see if they can look into the vas issue of the pax models

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Hello, 

If you have issues with the VAS on the DC10, please do contact support (support@commerciallevel.nl). 

The initial package indeed had several VAS issues which were not detected during testing. We have quickly fixed that and updated the installer. For those early customers who have issues with their VAS, please redownload the package from CLS and install it. We have no further reports of these issues after the update. 

Thank you Cesar for pointing us to this topic. We have indeed closed our forum, but feel free to use our support mail for questions.

Greetings, 

Albert 

The initial package indeed had several VAS issues which were not detected during testing. We have quickly fixed that and updated the installer.

I installed V1.01 and found no improvement. I'll try again.

Hans Soule

Hello, 

If you have issues with the VAS on the DC10, please do contact support (support@commerciallevel.nl). 

The initial package indeed had several VAS issues which were not detected during testing. We have quickly fixed that and updated the installer. For those early customers who have issues with their VAS, please redownload the package from CLS and install it. We have no further reports of these issues after the update. 

Thank you Cesar for pointing us to this topic. We have indeed closed our forum, but feel free to use our support mail for questions.

Greetings, 

Albert 

Thanks Albert for coming to the fourm and looking into the issue  I appreciate it will try v1.0.01 Miss the old fourms lol.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.