Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

DTG Flight School available on STEAM

I had pre-loaded DTG Flight, and it still downloaded a 528 MB update when I started Steam. So be patient.

Not too impressed at this point. MS Flight was much more even though it was also lacking in some areas.

Took a 1/4 hr flight from my home ap to another close by just to get a feel of the super cub.  So, so. Most switches don't work and I found it almost impossible to trim the a/c for normal flight.  I did notice some wind , however. Kept pushing me off course just as it would in real life.  Landed without any problems, taxied, and parked.  One annoying thing though. It kept reminding me that I didn't have an engine running after shutdown. Seems like a holdover from the FS series.

Hopefully can spend some more time with this sim shortly to really sort it out.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Well, it is FSX engine after all, in a product aimed at new people approaching flying in a videogame :)

Even 64bit and dx11 probably won't be that interesting to see on Flight School, but we'll see once their Flight Simulator is out

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Well, I got the 10 GBs downloaded and tried to run it and got this error:

Can't start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling to fix.  duh.

Try to download 10GB again and try?

Anyone else get this error?

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Thanks.  Got it running now.  Scenery is most disappointing.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Was that the issue?

As for the scenery, they changed nothing so yeah, should be fsx+ftx global + their atmosferic scattering effects

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I will be curious to see what Dovetail intend to do with respect to the terrain and atmospheric graphics for the full DTG Flight Simulator. Do they have a completely new terrain rendering engine in the pipeline? I just don't see how FSX style graphics plus FTX Global textures can be considered to be "the next generation of flight simulator".....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Christopher Low -

I will be curious to see what Dovetail intend to do with respect to the terrain and atmospheric graphics for the full DTG Flight Simulator

I'm curious if they'll alter it for Flight School, never mind the full sim.

The bulk of the negative comments relate to the graphics, if they can blend the clouds into the distant sky and haze, along with lowering the white hot scattering effect it will go a very long to making people happy. There are other graphic issues (disconnected shadows - cockpit too bright for late evening etc) but they are minor by comparison.

I will be curious to see what Dovetail intend to do with respect to the terrain and atmospheric graphics for the full DTG Flight Simulator. Do they have a completely new terrain rendering engine in the pipeline? I just don't see how FSX style graphics plus FTX Global textures can be considered to be "the next generation of flight simulator".....

Mmm, well, i don't believe it. But who knows, they still got time for that. But their credibility will really depend on that product.

Christopher Low -

I'm curious if they'll alter it for Flight School, never mind the full sim.

The bulk of the negative comments relate to the graphics, if they can blend the clouds into the distant sky and haze, along with lowering the white hot scattering effect it will go a very long to making people happy. There are other graphic issues (disconnected shadows - cockpit too bright for late evening etc) but they are minor by comparison.

Indeed as the sim is very dark and gloomy even at 2 in the afternoon.

The sun illuminates the opposite side of the aircraft.

KABQ is on an elevated plateau and I got a building crash crossing the runway threshold at North Las Vegas airport.

LOD is very small. Sitting at KLAS, the surrounding mountains look like they're covered in snow because of the lack of texture detail being displayed.

DTG FS has terrain and lighting issues to work on for sure.

First impressions of Flight School in free flight instantly reminded me of running out-of-box FSX with its default settings, only the autogen is much better looking.  IMO almost all color scheme dynamics are mess up, creating a definite cartoonish feel.  Definitely a $15 experience...if it was $60 it'd be an instant Steam refund request!

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Would be very nice if they recognized CH yoke switches also.  Won't let me set the trim with the switch I normally use.

I find the extended control setup a mirror of FSX ( which isn't surprising), but it's not as functional.  Also, there is a calibration entry but it doesn't work for me either.

The major problems I have with the program is the inability to trim without using the CH trim wheel which is not very accurate, and the fact I can't set a return to center switch on my yoke. This makes it hard to return to your front and center view. 

Perhaps DTG is listening to us.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I'm sad you can't turn the master off... that's simple level systems stuff, yet the switch is fake.

Add to that it's just the same old FSX engine with some odd lavender color effect and graphical glitches here and there and I'm not excited about the full product.  My main disappointment comes from the distraction this will undoubtedly cause among the 3rd Party Developers we currently support with FSX/FSXSE/P3D.

If you're going to kill all my current and soon to be purchased addons, give me something modern and great.... not what I just played.

• Upvote 1

First impressions of Flight School in free flight instantly reminded me of running out-of-box FSX with its default settings, only the autogen is much better looking.  IMO almost all color scheme dynamics are mess up, creating a definite cartoonish feel.  Definitely a $15 experience...if it was $60 it'd be an instant Steam refund request!

The airports in Aerofly FS 2 for PC are really good here. Very natural to look at and blend in well with the surrounding scenery. Even the static planes look much better than DTG's. This aspect does worry me a little that colours are not quite what they should be across the board as evidenced by the unnatural horizon haze, sky colours and relatively poor quality buildings surrounding the custom airports.

It's certainly not all doom and gloom, modelling is generally very good, but the correct choice of colours can go a long way! Cartoonie feel certainly would kill off any imersion is a serious flight simulation so lets hope this aspect improves. Aerofly certainly points the way forward here and it would seem any one of the 150 modelled airports in that sim have been beautifully put together.

I'm sad you can't turn the master off... that's simple level systems stuff, yet the switch is fake.

Add to that it's just the same old FSX engine with some odd lavender color effect and graphical glitches here and there and I'm not excited about the full product.  My main disappointment comes from the distraction this will undoubtedly cause among the 3rd Party Developers we currently support with FSX/FSXSE/P3D.

If you're going to kill all my current and soon to be purchased addons, give me something modern and great.... not what I just played.

You can use the master through a key command in the settings menu. This isnt meant to replace FSX or P3D, so killing off your addons shouldnt even be an issue at this point. It has 2 planes and is meant to teach people how to fly. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson