Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

I was so ready to enjoy my Oculus Rift CV1 with Prepar3D

Only to reality has hit me right in the face, I can't get higher than 35 fps in VC view.  FlyInsider recommend a minimum of 45 fps to get any smooth movement.  So loaded my PMDG 777 and 737 only to find that's it stuttering like crazy. The Oculus ATW cannot keep up with the low frame rate.  So I guess I have to go back to space simulator (elite dangerous) for the time being.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would be curious as to what your system specs are and a general idea of what settings you run

I would be curious as to what your system specs are and a general idea of what settings you run

I5-4670K / 16G Ram / MSI 980TI TwinFrozer / Windows 10

I5-4670K / 16G Ram / MSI 980TI TwinFrozer / Windows 10... And it won't run the new Oculus Rift Huh?

Well that's an eye-opener!

Cheers, or are they?

ChaS

I5-4670K / 16G Ram / MSI 980TI TwinFrozer / Windows 10... And it won't run the new Oculus Rift Huh?

Well that's an eye-opener!

Cheers, or are they?

ChaS

I suspect Prepar3D or flysinde is the issue here. Even on the default plane, I can get 90fps when I am not in the rift. I get a maximum of 40fps If i'm lucky. Mostly in the in the 30s. Changing the graphic settings in Prepar3D doesn't seem to impact the result very much.

• Upvote 1

Thanks!  Definitely following progress closely

Hmmmmmm. Maybe it's time to revisit FSX-SE when my Plank-Owner Free Rift comes in ...

...or spend $1000 on a Rift compatible PC… but...

Would that mean that will be P3D compatible?

… Or sell my new Rift… Again....

Argggggggggggggg!

Chas

Also I want to add there isn't enough resolution in the HMD to read most of the dial or panel. Being in the cockpit in 3D is a very cool feeling but that's about it.

...or spend $1000 on a Rift compatible PC… but...

$$$ will not help you here, as the problem is comparable to 3D: you need basically the doubled framerate to properly use the Rift. Even with a 10'000$ rig it would be difficult to have constantly more than 90 (2 x 45) FPS in Prepar3d or even FSX, unless you use really low settings. That's simply another reason why the flightsim community desperately needs a new engine, not those FSX engine adapted stuff like P3D and the coming Dovetail-Sim. Just as an comparison: with my 3770K and the 980Ti, I can play Battlefield and Battlefront with high settings on my 144Hz monitor with FPS ranging from 120 - 144, so those games would be also working with the Oculus Rift. In Project Cars, I easily have above 100FPS, even with almost max. settings. Same goes for other games, simply the old fashioned crappy FSX engine is not capable of delivering enough FPS with acceptable eye candy settings...

• Upvote 3

It was my fear that VR glasses such as Occulus Rift and/or P3D may not yet be compatible for a fluent flight experience in the VC. But let's hope that less demanding fps will be necessary with furture software/hardware updates to enjoy Virtual Reality glasses also in P3D.

I can maintain >100 fps in PMDG 737NGX when using default scenery. However, no way to maintain > 30 fps when on ground at EGLC and using Aerosoft London City.

What FPS minimum do we need to be able to maintain in P3D without Rift, in order to know that a Rift would work stutter free? What would be the test setup for that so that we could test our systems before buying a Rift?

As mentioned, something around 45FPS would provide you a stutter-free experience. Problem: two images have to be rendered at the same time, means you basically need 90FPS. And this means 90FPS MINIMUM. Regarding the huge variations you usually get in the sim, you would probably need an average of above 100FPS to really enjoy stutter-free Rift gameplay...

• Upvote 1

I can't afford to experiment with those displays. However, I might guess that Lockheed may be doing that. Using them in a training environment may be appropriate thus when they face the discussed limitations they may take steps to mitigate the flaws.

A counter approach is to return to old fashioned displays, but big 4k models with next to zero frames. If Lockheed decides that is the best way to train pilots then the Rift stuff may stagnate in a P3D setting.

The BBC the other day was comparing all the VRs about to come on the market. Their conclusion was that only about 1% of PCs are powerful enough to run them smoothly. Let alone the problem of nausia after in some case twenty minutes. And apparently all of them are pixelated images. Meaning that there is much "reality!"

Prepar3D needs DX12. I ran more test last night. I was CPU bound. My GPU load was barely 41% while my CPU was working overtime. It's really the engine that is at fault here and not my setup.

Also I want to add there isn't enough resolution in the HMD to read most of the dial or panel. Being in the cockpit in 3D is a very cool feeling but that's about it.

I've seen several successful or semi-successful attempts at fixing that problem on the original Rift..YouTube probably...https://flyinside-fsx.com/Account/Register , http://youtu.be/Kc7LOAeL45Y http://youtu.be/YD1NDjAleCM are several I've found so far....also check out the Rift with Leap motion to provide visual feedback of your hands.

cheers

Chas

Performance of P3D's decrepit old engine and the resolution of the displays in the HMDs is why VR isn't really doable in P3D/FSX (unless running really low settings on default scenery.. which nobody ever does anymore)

We really, really need a shakeup in civilian sims... but that is for another thread.

• Upvote 1

I was holding back to buy a curved 4k monitor as I thought that I could jump in the VR boat in this year. Seems that we have to wait for better hardware until we can really use VR glasss with our sim.

The BBC the other day was comparing all the VRs about to come on the market. Their conclusion was that only about 1% of PCs are powerful enough to run them smoothly. Let alone the problem of nausia after in some case twenty minutes. And apparently all of them are pixelated images. Meaning that there is much "reality!"

And not forgetting to mention the fact that getting 90 fps in P3D with all the popular addons is next to impossible even with a super rig.

I think VR is still quite enjoyable although you have to compromise on settings. The sense of presence and immersions is worth the change from a flat screen to VR. Even with the low resolution I prefer to fly with my DK2 than with a flat screen. I get about 40 fps with PMDG with add on airports and still very smooth. I think it depends on your expectations. Just recorded a couple of videos. One is a landing at Kai Tak and another for those who wonder how you see the world through one of the lenses.

To be honest the video doesnt do any justice to the real experience but you can get an idea of what VR is. We have to take into account that for a clear vision you need to hit the sweet spot which is difficult as I am holding my camera on one hand and the rift on the other. Secondly it is a DK2 which is a development kit. With the commercial version, aka CV1, the resolution is much better. Besides that flickering you see when looking outside doesnt really happen when you are wearing the googles. When you are looking through both lenses you get a sense of depth and presence. Your field of vision is completed surrounded which increases the immersion and makes you feel you are inside the cockpit. It is specially useful for circle to land approaches. I will not deny that it is still a long way to go but things are progressing fast. Make sure you watch the video on high resolution.

And not forgetting to mention the fact that getting 90 fps in P3D with all the popular addons is next to impossible even with a super rig.

Flyinside applied a technique called Asynchronous Time Warp which although you acnt reach 90 fps with the simulator you still have a smooth experience

I'm sorry Melchor but there is too much cons compare to the pro. and yes ATW helps but in this case, you need at least 40fps+ to get a smoother experience.

I'm sorry Melchor but there is too much cons compare to the pro. and yes ATW helps but in this case, you need at least 40fps+ to get a smoother experience.

So with even with ATW, the simulator needs to be running at 80fps minimum in order for us to even consider plugging in a rift? Is that it?

I get about 40 fps with PMDG with add on airports and still very smooth.

Thanks for the videos appreciate the effort. So that means you must have been getting at least 80fps with all your addons before you plugged in the Rift?

So with even with ATW, the simulator needs to be running at 80fps minimum in order for us to even consider plugging in a rift? Is that it?

Thanks for the videos appreciate the effort. So that means you must have been getting at least 80fps with all your addons before you plugged in the Rift?

Not really, as the developer of Flyinside made improvements for Prepar3d so it runs on high fps on VR similar to what I get before I plug the rift. I always adjust my settings to make sure I have at least 40 fps. In a few days when I have time I will upload another video where I can show my settings and fps on VR.

Well this is good news then. Since the beginning of flightsimming many years a go I have always locked at 20FPS and always had smooth flight. And that is with pmdg, activesky, airports, rex, photoscenery  My Rift is coming in July and I will be getting the new Nvidia Pascal card when it comes out. If it does not run smooth I won't be disappointed and move forward with new simulators that utilize the technology more efficiently.