Sign in to follow this  
sarotnem

Suggestions for tweaking

Hello, the last few days I try to switch from the "traditional" FSX to p3d. After many hours of searching and tweaking I'm not quite satisfied with the result. I get about 15-20 fps with default scenery and the textures are not to clear. Any suggestions?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60 GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

RAM: 8GB

That CPU is very good for FSX and P3D, but a Radeon 77xx series GPU is quite underpowered for P3D (P3D is much more GPU heavy than FSX was.) You should look into upgrading your graphics card before start worrying about tweaks.

That CPU is very good for FSX and P3D, but a Radeon 77xx series GPU is quite underpowered for P3D (P3D is much more GPU heavy than FSX was.) You should look into upgrading your graphics card before start worrying about tweaks.

I thought so for the GPU but I hoped for some workarounds. Of course you can't expect miracles with this particular GPU, so I guess it's time to upgrade!

Hello, the last few days I try to switch from the "traditional" FSX to p3d. After many hours of searching and tweaking I'm not quite satisfied with the result. I get about 15-20 fps with default scenery and the textures are not to clear. Any suggestions?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60 GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

RAM: 8GB

Your CPU can do a lot better. Get it to around 4.5 GHz and you'll see a good boost in fps.

• Upvote 1

IF the OP can overclock it, yeah it is recommended, but being a non-K version, he would have to depend on the turbo of 4.0, if it gets that high.

From what the OP has mentioned, it seems that he may have tweaked too much too soon.  If he is using v3, tweaks are virtually not necessary, but don't quote me.  If I were in the OP's shoes, I would start from scratch, start a flight with medium settings, to ensure the sim is stable and then start moving the sliders up a little at a time.  Forcing too many tweaks (perhaps even unnecessary ones) can cause P3D to crap out.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

IF the OP can overclock it, yeah it is recommended, but being a non-K version, he would have to depend on the turbo of 4.0, if it gets that high.

From what the OP has mentioned, it seems that he may have tweaked too much too soon.  If he is using v3, tweaks are virtually not necessary, but don't quote me.  If I were in the OP's shoes, I would start from scratch, start a flight with medium settings, to ensure the sim is stable and then start moving the sliders up a little at a time.  Forcing too many tweaks (perhaps even unnecessary ones) can cause P3D to crap out.

-Jim

Forgot to mention that I'm using v3.2 :) I started from scratch as you suggest doing flights with medium settings and changing only the sliders, I haven't messed with the config file too much yet, beside the "classic" AffinityMask and the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01. 

and the textures are not to clear

beside the "classic" AffinityMask and the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01. 

Ditch those tweaks (there is no "classic" AM and lowering FIBER will make things blurry), change the settings in the sim itself to your liking, lower a few settings if performance isn't too good until it is okay, get used to what you've got and be happy with it. I never tweak and I am very happy with what I've got. You should try to OC that CPU though: running it at 3.6 is a waste of power. 

The best tweak for Prepar3D:

1. Go to C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming\lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v3\Prepar3D.cfg

Rename the file to Prepar3D.old

2. Go to C:\Users\username\Appdata\Local\lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v3

Delete the "Shaders" folder

3. Start the sim, re-configure the sliders to something reasonable for your system

4. Enjoy a stable, smooth sim experience

Also, with just a Radeon 7700, Prepar3D v2/3 won't work that well. You'll have to turn down some water, tesselation and shadow settings. Your CPU is reasonably strong, so a GPU upgrade would hep a lot.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Oh, did not realize it's a non K CPU. That's too bad then. You could try bclk overclocking but I doubt you'll get much out of it.

Like the others said you'll need to find a balance. 3.6ghz is quite limited in power.

Do not waste your time, there is no "classic" tweak but one : money. Get you a new card and be sure that your CPU reaches the turbo-mode if you can't overclock it which would be even better.

If you can't afford it, lower the settings (traffic first, autogen, tesselation etc.). 

And fly... 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Dynamic Reflections = OFF

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).