Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

So I bought Xplane 10...

Those pretending XP10 is smooth as a baby's butt all the time and has no performance issues are either fibbing a bit or run very low settings.

I typically fly where I live & travel; that means the largest urban centers I regularly overfly are Edmonton and Calgary. My framerates can drop as low as 35-40 in those areas (Edmonton has nearly full osm coverage through w2xp - I can even see my detached garage behind my house), otherwise I typically hover around 50-60.  I did a flight the other day from my newly acquired KTNP over to KLAS in the Epic Victory, my results were very similar - frames were mid 50's until I hit the outskirts of Las Vegas, where they crept down to high 30's on approach.

My flights are always smooth; it's one of the reasons why I like XP as much as I do.

I run w2xp, along with quite high settings across the board.  I also run at 4xSSAA+FXAA, at 1440p.

There are a few things, however where performance will suffer if I let it.  Shadows have a noticeable impact at higher levels of AA and as such I generally use 'overlay' or '3D on aircraft', and any appreciable level of AA with dense clouds seems to be a major performance concern.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Well I just tested with all settings extreme and wiped out W2XP which is the cause of the resource hog...

with the above mentioned add-ons and HD mesh v3 running now between 55 and 70 fps...

Still testing....

Now some good ATC and AI and airports

A slight note on this for those less familiar with X-Plane/W2XP: the non "_osm" versions of W2XP will in my experience come with a significantly higher performance cost due to the exclusions.

The only thing that is really killing performance in XP on my system are the clouds, be it vanilla or skymaxx.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

be it vanilla or skymaxx

Yes, vanilla clouds do tend to tax quite a bit my video card, but skymaxx, absolutely no problems with HDR at 2X SSAA+FXAA in any weather scenario. The only gripe I have with skymaxx is the 1-2 sec delay when updating weather conditions.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

P3DV3.2 performs better on my machine (6 cores 4.3ghz), but it has inconstant fps, while XP10 has lower fps (and much lower fps if I use w2xp with objects on tons) but constant, so XP10 feels more smoother than P3D, despite the fact that it runs at lower fps (overall)... you can notice it especially during the landings.

The only exception is if you really pump the scenery and the settings, the lowest of XP10 makes it unplayable (I managed to have sub-10 fps), while P3D remains (someway) playable.. but it's really a border scenario (playing at 12fps is crap in any case).

Only still very annoying experience to me, specially when I was cruising my PSX with XP visuals at higher altitudes, near tile borders, was seiing the next tile not being loaded, until I got near... and I had the distant tile rendering option enabled!

This happened a few times and I was using just default scenery with autogen set to none, no cars, default trees !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

I agree with the clouds. I don't have SkyMaxx and am wondering if I'd see any improvement if I did, but the default clouds for me are an absolute killer. I only have AA at FXAA too.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I have Skymaxx V3 and Real Weather Connector. HD on and 2X SSAA FXAA, 1/2 Refresh Rate in NI and is the smoothest sim i have ever seen.

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

I agree with the clouds. I don't have SkyMaxx and am wondering if I'd see any improvement if I did, but the default clouds for me are an absolute killer. I only have AA at FXAA too.

Agreed, default clouds are very taxing indeed! Skymaxx meant to be a lot better for that. Although Skymaxx and RWC weighs in very expensive IMO (like most products on X-Aviation).

I feel inspired to try XP again. Is the demo also the lastest version, or does it lag behind the full release?

Unless they are one and the same?

Agreed, default clouds are very taxing indeed! Skymaxx meant to be a lot better for that. Although Skymaxx and RWC weighs in very expensive IMO (like most products on X-Aviation).

I might try SkyMaxx as I am really trying to give XP a decent chance this time as the IXEG 733 is fantastic. I know this is not the place to compare FSX/P3D with XP but if that's one thing the former has going for it it's the ability to at least fly in decent overcast conditions without reducing to a Powerpoint presentation!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I have Skymaxx V3 and Real Weather Connector. HD on and 2X SSAA FXAA, 1/2 Refresh Rate in NI and is the smoothest sim i have ever seen.

Interesting!

Can we say that Skymaxx improves the FPS then?

Would this be the first case of a graphic enhancement add-on that ALSO improves performance?

I will be getting this addon then!

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Can we say that Skymaxx improves the FPS then?

If you have the right video card then yes, I have a 970 and FPS are no problem in any weather condition.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

How about a GTX770 2GB ?

Based on benchmarks I have seen, the 970 yields around 35% more performance then the 770, so I would say yes there may be a noticeable difference.

if you plant to upgrade any time soon, I would suggest to wait for the 1070 which will be around $399. I am planning on upgrading to the 1080 once is out.