Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

So I bought Xplane 10...

Does it do everything AN16 does or does it just 'look' good

No, but it gives you an excellent representation of the the weather down to the horizon. That's where it shines!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

The weather representation in the distance looks even better than AS16.

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I think that most XP simmers are very content now that they have "xEnviro."

It's the add-on of the year for XP IMH.

Most simmers might be content, but not everyone!  :smile:

I'm still getting snap changes from clear conditions to low viz (or vice versa) with XEnviro, which is irritating on short final VFR. Also some weird glitches like a heavy rain layer on the ground with a sharp transition to clear skies above. It's also annoying that there's no weather briefing, although I know that's on the to-do list.

I know XEnviro looks great up at airline flight levels, but for the lower levels where I fly bush planes and helicopters, it's still very buggy and inconsistent. I'm giving it time, waiting to see the next patch, but depending on how it goes I might go back to SkyMaxx Pro v4. That program isn't perfect, but at the lower flight levels it can look fine, and right now it's much more stable and less immersion-breaking than XEnviro during a flight.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

No, but it gives you an excellent representation of the the weather down to the horizon. That's where it shines!

I'm really not convinced. I watched a recent video where XEnviro was being showcased, and to me it wasn't convincing at all. In fact, it made me appreciate AS16 even more.

I'm really not convinced. I watched a recent video where XEnviro was being showcased, and to me it wasn't convincing at all. In fact, it made me appreciate AS16 even more.

Well, what can you ask more? You save 68 euro and stay with PR3D. :wink:

Let us suffer and hurt our eyes with these appaling sights...you had to hear me yesterday asking for pity and screaming desperately "stop please, I cannot stand this **** anymore"...

https://s5.postimg.org/uj3au1qqf/Cessna_172_SP_19.png

But I agree with Paraffin, GA pilot staying below 15/20K are fine with SMP4, XEnviro gives no WOW experience at low altitude unless you move fast towards cruise level. But it really depends on metar, sometimes rain effect with XEnviro are totally immersive and breaking through cloud layers gives jaw dropping moments.

The point is I can cope with current Xenviro limitations at low altitude while I cannot cope with poor rendition of SMP4 at high ones. Either you're in the middle of clouds preventing your horizon full sight or bum...game breaker.

Got this video of AS16 and I really wonder how one can appreciate such a fake cloud sight, they look so gameish that SMP is way ahead.

• Upvote 1

Well, what can you ask more? You save 68 euro and stay with PR3D. :wink:

Let us suffer and hurt our eyes with these appaling sights...

https://s5.postimg.org/uj3au1qqf/Cessna_172_SP_19.png

:smile:

AS16 is an outstanding add-on, but you have to keep in mind that before xEnviro, there wasn't anything that came close to depicting weather like ASN. Now X-Plane has it!

• Upvote 1

:smile:

AS16 is an outstanding add-on, but you have to keep in mind that before xEnviro, there wasn't anything that came close to depicting weather like ASN. Now X-Plane has it!

That's the point, we are more than glad to disregard some current shortcomings if the product hugely increase the overall degree of immersion, that is what actually XEnviro does right now compared to vanilla (and just speaking for me here SMP as well) weather depiction.

Here are some images I posted in the Addons subforum showing just one of the things I'm not thrilled with about XEnviro (repeating cloud bitmaps):

http://www.avsim.com/topic/498964-x-enviro-is-out/page-59#entry3556859

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I think that most XP simmers are very content now that they have "xEnviro."

It's the add-on of the year for XP IMH.

Eh, I passed completely. I rarely fly up high, mostly down low and slow, and from what I've seen it looks like that really is xEnviro's weak spot.

For $91 dollars (Canadian) something better bloody well knock my socks off... and nothing I've seen yet does that.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Maybe I should have emphasized the word "most."

This thread is not about xEnviro, so I'll leave it at that. Sorry for derailing the thread.