Sign in to follow this  
Cavemanhead

How realistic is the default P3d ATC?

What are the keypresses?  Do you always have to bring up 'the menu' or are there quick keys for simply acknowledging a transmission.  E.g. I can imagine that under normal circumstances there's an order to the transmissions...taxi to X...roger...contact tower...roger.  That's an oversimplification but I think you get the point.  If it's canned and clear then a simple keypress without any menu would be pretty decent and less intrusive to the immersion.  Is there a demo version?

That's what I like about ProATC: the interface (or lack of) during the flight. To acknowledge something you press 2 and that's it. No menu needed. If you want to you can let ProATC show what is said at the top of the screen (like default ATIS but then not running right to left). You can set how many seconds the text should be online. But you can also disable that. And if you want to do/ask something yourself you press 1 to get a default-like P3D menu onscreen with options you can choose by pressing number keys or clicking on them. Similar to other inflight menu's. Surely beats those add ons where you get 'giant' extra screens onscreen all the time. The less menu's onscreen the better imho. Usually what you need to do is at the top of the menu so pressing 1 and 1 again does the job. Simple as that.

Other advantage is how you setup the flight. Enter departure, enter destination and if you want to you can immediately save and close the flight. Runways, SID, STAR, everything, is taken care of automatically and will be changed if for instance the weather has changed. Real quick. And full AIRAC support of course.

That's what I like about ProATC: the interface (or lack of) during the flight. To acknowledge something you press 2 and that's it. No menu needed. If you want to you can let ProATC show what is said online at the top of the screen (like default ATIS but then not running right to left). You can set how many seconds the text should be online. But you can also disable that. And if you want to do/ask something yourself you press 1 to get a default-like P3D menu onscreen with options you can choose by pressing number keys or clicking on them. Similar to other inflight menu's. Surely beats those add ons where you get 'giant' extra screens onscreen all the time. The less menu's onscreen the better imho. Usually what you need to do is at the top of the menu so pressing 1 and 1 again does the job. Simple as that.

That's excellent.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

PATC is the only thing I have found in simming that comes close, and that includes my 2 years on Vatsim.

We will agree to disagree on that one.    If a canned ATC program trumps an actual controller in a congested airspace, then that must have been a pretty bad day on VATSIM.

What are the keypresses?  Do you always have to bring up 'the menu' or are there quick keys for simply acknowledging a transmission.  E.g. I can imagine that under normal circumstances there's an order to the transmissions...taxi to X...roger...contact tower...roger.  That's an oversimplification but I think you get the point.  If it's canned and clear then a simple keypress without any menu would be pretty decent and less intrusive to the immersion.  Is there a demo version?

The only time I bring up the menu with a key press ( which I have set up on my joystick) is:

1 clearance delivery

2 pushback and engine start

3 taxi to active

4 takeoff

5   after landing -taxi to parking 

All communication   I have set to be handled by co-pilot. 

The only time the menu is on screen is when you bring it up for one of these selections and it immediately disappears once you make your selection. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Software is sold as is. There is no obligation to release updates. The developer however has chosen to release updates.

Wonderful mentality. I like the "no obligation" part the best, apart from being true. Aren't you happened to be a lawyer?

ProATC has been compatible with P3D without any need for updates, so how is this relevant?

You seem to understand little besides the "rules"... If Patcx is compatible with the consecutive versions of P3D, then there nothing to be done? Don't you think that by this rigid and un-user-friendly statement you actually contemn those Pete Dowsons, Umberto Colapichionis and a dozen of other developers who do just the opposite as they constantly update their software, not only when "necessary"?

And that is the way it has worked. After every annual release there is a bug fix period. When urgent problems (happens on most flight and/or for most users) have been tackled, then a new dev cycle begins.

It's "getting you family fed" type of mentality. Not all FS products do well enough to cover all your costs.

So it means you once again made your own rules and decided that it works fine.

BTW, there are developers constantly working on their stuff which cost the half of ProatcX and probably sell much less...

We will agree to disagree on that one.    If a canned ATC program trumps an actual controller in a congested airspace, then that must have been a pretty bad day on VATSIM.

Well I haven't had PATC tell me it has  to walk the dog or go to bed, when I am approaching the destination airport, so I am on my own. I also haven't had PATC tell me that even though I am flying an airline on an IFR flight in IMC, that I have to switch to unicomm, because the controller has to get up for work the next day, or wants to watch Game of Thrones. :wink:  I will say it again, flew Vatsim for over 2 years, almost daily, so it would be hard for anyone  to tell me how it actually works.  If someone wants to fly from point A to point B IFR, especially for a VA where flight assignments are in the 1,000s of choices, Vatsim is totally useless. 

Let me give you a practical example. I like to fly in IMC . I just looked at the weather map for the US, and I see that it is snowing in Billings Montana, and I love approaches in challenging  weather. My VA has a flight from KSLC to KBIL. I can either get a flight plan from an Online source, or even let PATC generate one, load it into PATC, and off I go. PATC assigns the SID if there is one for the active runway, and controls the flight all the way to the destination ramp.  Now I go to http://vattastic.com/ and looked at controllers on line for the USA.  There is one tower controller in Seattle and that is it...  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

...that I have to switch to unicomm, because the controller ..wants to watch Game of Thrones.

I'd probably completely see his point. :smile:

There is that frustration and I get that.

Let me give you a practical example. I flight to fly in IMC . I just looked at the weather map for the US, and I see that it is snowing in Billings Montana, and I love approaches in challenging weather. My VA has a flight from KSLC to KBIL. I can either get a flight plan from an Online source, or even let PATC generate one, load it into PATC, and off I go. PATC assigns the SID if there is one for the active runway, and controls the flight all the way to the destination ramp. Now I go to http://vattastic.com/ and looked at controllers on line for the USA. There is one tower controller in Seattle and that is it...

Yeah, but it's still a computerized response and you are still left pressing buttons and saying nothing yourself....which is really my issue. As a previous PPL myself, I'd prefer free flight.

But that's the great thing about this hobby - it can be whatever works for you. At the end of the day, we are all still sitting behind our desks - regardless of how real it 'feels'.

Wonderful mentality. I like the "no obligation" part the best, apart from being true. Aren't you happened to be a lawyer?

As I have already told you, I'm a software developer by trade. Yes, my studies included business law if that makes any difference.

You seem to understand little besides the "rules"

A bit offensive?

Don't you think that by this rigid and un-user-friendly statement you actually contemn those Pete Dowsons, Umberto Colapichionis and a dozen of other developers who do just the opposite as they constantly update their software, not only when "necessary"?

I urge you to go back and read my comments. 

1) I don't condemn anyones business policy. I even mentioned that I personally try to release every two weeks or so. Why would I condemn my own actions?

2) I didn't say that ProATC is only updated when necessary. I said it has been getting a free upgrade annually. Two different things.

3) By following your logic, you would condemn RC4 developer for not releasing RC5, because he decided to spend time with his wife, instead of releasing a new version? Did I understand correctly?

Once again, please read previous posts. How are these my rules? To be honest, I don't see how this discussion is helping anyone.

You seem to understand little besides the "rules"... If Patcx is compatible with the consecutive versions of P3D, then there nothing to be done? Don't you think that by this rigid and un-user-friendly statement you actually contemn those Pete Dowsons, Umberto Colapichionis and a dozen of other developers who do just the opposite as they constantly update their software, not only when "necessary"?

BTW, there are developers constantly working on their stuff which cost the half of ProatcX and probably sell much less...

You seem to have a real axe to grind and use being rude to try and prove what ever point you think you have.  

ProATC X all the way for IFR,  for VFR I too use the built in ATC.  My second choice for IFR would be PFE 3 because I loved the old PFE.

Anything not in development is avoided by me, most of it is  so outdated it is almost useless to me.

PS: Is there a way to ignore people? Potroh is annoyingly cluttering up the thread with garbage.  Take it to PM please.

PS: Is there a way to ignore people? Potroh is annoyingly cluttering up the thread with garbage.  Take it to PM please.

Not digging up a 6 months old topic would perhaps be a simple and somewhat effective way to avoid certain annoying posts in that topic.

Just a bit of friendly advice :)

Not digging up a 6 months old topic would perhaps be a simple and somewhat effective way to avoid certain annoying posts in that topic.

Just a bit of friendly advice :)

LOL

ProATC X all the way for IFR,  for VFR I too use the built in ATC.  My second choice for IFR would be PFE 3 because I loved the old PFE.

Anything not in development is avoided by me, most of it is  so outdated it is almost useless to me.

I noted your banner at the bottom of your post. You need to upgrade to PF3 as PFE is no longer supported.

Flying real world in Europe I used editvoicepack modifications and found it real enough for normal VFR flights. I get windspeed and winddirection for take off and landing, some friendly phrases like "thank you for your help..." and after touch down the advice to change to ground frequency comes only after leaving the runway and not on the runway, which for me was not what I liked.

Enjoy your flying!

Manfred