Sign in to follow this  
Cavemanhead

How realistic is the default P3d ATC?

USA = RC4 only as PATC is nothing but a joke with regards to vectoring. Even default ATC is doing better job.

Rest of the world - PATC only.

The elephant in this thread are those robotic voices, how was MS the only ones to figure this out. The most realistic ATC instantly loses its luster when I hear those voices.

I'm looking for a realistic experience...

Honestly, if you want the most immersive ATC experience, start using VATSIM.  A little bit of a learning curve initially but well worth the experience from that point on.  Lots of fun too

USA = RC4 only as PATC is nothing but a joke with regards to vectoring. Even default ATC is doing better job.

Rest of the world - PATC only.

Had RC4 for a few years, I totally disagree with your statement about PATC and I use it on all my VA flights all over the US, every day, for at least 2 flights daily. Much better than RC4. 

Honestly, if you want the most immersive ATC experience, start using VATSIM.  A little bit of a learning curve initially but well worth the experience from that point on.  Lots of fun too

I flew Vatsim for a couple of years. My main gripes are there are never any controllers where and when I want to fly, and I really got tired of doing a long flight and 1 hour before landing having the only controller online sign off.   :fool:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Used ProATC a few times but gave up on it as I cannot reliably get it to work while tuning the radios myself using my Goflight radios.

An acknowledged bug that is still there rendering the program unusable for me, The last update was back in Oct 2015 and nothing since.

Expensive waste of money for me, the developer does not respond in the forums so we have no idea what progress he is making. The moderators seem to answer every question with "fixed in the next release" but never hint as to when that release might happen.

VoxATC and RC are also abandoned but at least development continues for PFE in the new PF3.

I flew Vatsim for a couple of years. My main gripes are there are never any controllers where and when I want to fly, and I really got tired of doing a long flight and 1 hour before landing having the only controller online sign off.

Well it's a bit of give and take. You can't always fly where you want if you want to be assured of coverage. But that makes things more interesting and forces you to fly new routes and into new airports where cover is provided. Alternatively, plan to fly at an event and you will have complete route coverage.

And it's free - and much, much more rewarding.

Expensive waste of money for me, the developer does not respond in the forums so we have no idea what progress he is making. The moderators seem to answer every question with "fixed in the next release" but never hint as to when that release might happen.

Well said... I just guess those moderators know as little about the future updates as we do, or they are also mislead by the lonely programmer.

Otherwise the forum rules are also ridiculous, obligatory real names to be signed, moderators always asking for log files for any problem from any user, before answering the simplest questions, etc.

These lonely programmers abandoning their own projects early, are always truly suspicious to me...

The elephant in this thread are those robotic voices, how was MS the only ones to figure this out. The most realistic ATC instantly loses its luster when I hear those voices.

Hah - now there's a thought I've had a thousand times - LM should open an API to allow developers to access the MS voices... Combine that with the EditVoicePack updates - you'd have a pretty sizable vocabulary to work from....

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I flew Vatsim for a couple of years. My main gripes are there are never any controllers where and when I want to fly, and I really got tired of doing a long flight and 1 hour before landing having the only controller online sign off. :fool:

Same with me.  I think I've tried it, maybe 5-6 times.  I *love* the idea but the controllers always disappeared at various points.  Honestly, there doesn't seem to be enough critical mass.  (You have a much better chance with coverage at IVAO...in Europe.)  Live ATC is *always* best...but is there a solution to the VATSIM problem that will get the network to grow?

Hah - now there's a thought I've had a thousand times - LM should open an API to allow developers to access the MS voices... Combine that with the EditVoicePack updates - you'd have a pretty sizable vocabulary to work from....

Regards,
Scott

They need to improve the API period.  Having looked at it, the API makes writing an ATC add-on very difficult.  They need more functions to make aircraft handling simpler.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Well it's a bit of give and take. You can't always fly where you want if you want to be assured of coverage. But that makes things more interesting and forces you to fly new routes and into new airports where cover is provided. Alternatively, plan to fly at an event and you will have complete route coverage.

And it's free - and much, much more rewarding.

I fly New and different  routes on pretty much every flight. Right now, I have over 350 flight plans that I have used with my VA and add at least  10 a week. Let's take an example, I just finished a VA flight from KCMH to KDCA.  I had ATC from Clearance Del to ground at the arrival airport and all normal controllers  in between.  At this exact moment after landing as I am writing this post, there is not one controller on Vatsim in the entire United States. That is why I find Vatsim totally useless. I also don't want to gear my flying or my life around a few events a month. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Well said... I just guess those moderators know as little about the future updates as we do, or they are also mislead by the lonely programmer.

Otherwise the forum rules are also ridiculous, obligatory real names to be signed, moderators always asking for log files for any problem from any user, before answering the simplest questions, etc.

These lonely programmers abandoning their own projects early, are always truly suspicious to me...

To address your two complaints, the requiring of names which is done on many forums I have been on including forums like the PMDG, is to cut down on people with a name like "Pencil head" or Flyboy great" from trolling the forum with negative comments that have nothing to do with PATC. In addition it assures that the people posting issues are actually legal owners of the software.   Just look at the difference in posts on twitter where you don't have to use your real name, and Facebook where you do, it's like night and day. We have almost zero trolls on the forum because of this rule. 

As far as the log file, when someone has a problem with a function of PATC, the easiest and quickest way for us to find out where the problem is, without a crystal ball,  is to look at the log file. When someone doesn't post the log file, then we have to post a response to their issue, saying that we need the log file. Requiring the log file with a problem, stops the unnecessary and time consuming extra posts that aren't really needed.  Many times, after a few seconds of scanning the log file we can see where the error is, and if it is a faulty flight plan, or setting in PATC, we can post to the user how to quickly fix the problem. When I have a question about a flight, the first thing  I do is look at the log file, and I almost always find the answer. 

Vatsim is ok, if you have online controllers available where you are flying, but I've found that commonly the controllers don't know what to do with VFR aircraft.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Vatsim is ok, if you have online controllers available where you are flying, but I've found that commonly the controllers don't know what to do with VFR aircraft.

I think for the VFR pilot, Pilotedge is probably the best if you want to learn how to fly in the ATC system. The only downside is you are confined to fly in the West Coast around California, and there is a monthly cost involved.  

Otherwise the forum rules are also ridiculous, obligatory real names to be signed, moderators always asking for log files for any problem from any user, before answering the simplest questions, etc

Hello from one of the moderators!

We are not hiding anything from the users. In the current beta, there is still one show stopper that needs fixing. No release before it's fixed. ProATC has been known to get one free update per year. In the past, release has taken place during fall or winter. This year seems to be about the same as every year before that.

Like Bob mentioned, full name is required due to trolls messing up the forum in the past.

Why do we ask a log every time? The most common cause of problems, is that the user hasn't read the manual (or the forums FAQ). From the log, we can see what parts of the manual he/she has desided to skip over and point him/her in the right direction.